Recruiting Updates | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Updates

http://cusebballrecruiting.blogspot.com/2014/05/511-news-and-notes.html
Updates for today. As Tee noted Malachi had big games with 28 and 22pts. Govan had 22pts and 9rbs in his morning game. Diagne finished up with 13pts and 6rbs. Jamal Murray had 20pts, 7rbs, and 6ast in his last game. Franklin Howard got the start in his last game and played 13 minutes finishing up with 1pt and 3ast. Don't expect Frank to put up crazy stat lines because it's all about just easing him back into things at this point. Lydon sat out of today games with an injury. Hopefully it's nothing too severe.

Bryant also tells tos that SU, Nova, Kansas, and Florida are recruiting him the hardest currently.

Last edited:
What I'd like to see more out of both of these guys is a little more athleticism in challenging shots, moving defensively. Bryant is a little quicker, more motor, but Govan is just an inside presence, demands a defensive front court's attention. Playing above the rim is neither's strength and that is a concern. Need a rim protector at the 5 if we play zone next few years. Not to say that one won't surprise us, but that's just my two cents. :)

Just to add, I think Govan could even end up drawing AO like comparisons. Has the footwork, similar builds and games.
From what I have seen from Bryant, he does a good job protecting the rim. Since he has a freakish 7'5 wingspan, I think it works to his advantage of not having to be super athletic to be effective in that department and he can get by with effort and motor. With Govan, all you can ask for him is to be AO like on the defensive end. He might not block shots like Fab/Rak, but as long as he can be a space eater and get in the way of the shooter and alter the shot then that is all you need.

From what I have seen from Bryant, he does a good job protecting the rim. Since he has a freakish 7'5 wingspan, I think it works to his advantage of not having to be super athletic to be effective in that department and he can get by with effort and motor. With Govan, all you can ask for him is to be AO like on the defensive end. He might not block shots like Fab/Rak, but as long as he can be a space eater and get in the way of the shooter and alter the shot then that is all you need.

You're probably right, but I just wanted to use this clip. :D

You're probably right, but I just wanted to use this clip. :D
dahell2.png
That was random Tee lol.

Here goes the overall stats from this past weekend on our guys.

Cuse Commits and Targets EYBL Dallas Stats
Malachi Richardson 4 games-17.5PPG, 46% FG 22-47 overall, 3RPG, 2.5APG, 77% FT 21-27 overall, 22% 3PT 5-22 overall.

Franklin Howard 4 games-13 minutes per game returning from injury, 4PPG, 43% FG 7-16 overall, 1RPG, 1.2APG.

Tyler Lydon 2 games-5PPG, 26% FG 4-15 overall, 5.5RPG, 1BPG.

Moustapha Diagne 4 games-8.2PPG, 58% FG 14-24 overall, 6RPG, 1.2BPG, 35% FT 5-14 overall.

Thomas Bryant 4 games-6.7PPG, 48% FG 12-25 overall, 4.7RPG, 1.5BPG.

Jessie Govan 4 games-17.7PPG, 55% FG 27-49 overall, 6.2RPG, 89% FT 17-19 overall.

Georgios Papagiannis 4 games-9.7PPG, 52% FG 19-36 overall, 6.2RPG, 2.2BPG

Tyus Battle 4 games-7PPG, 27% FG 8-29 overall, 75% FT 12-16 overall, 22% 3PT 2-9 overall.

Jamal Murray 4 games-10.7PPG, 41% FG 13-31 overall, 4.5RPG, 3.5APG, 78% FT 11-14 overall, 31% 3PT 6-19 overall.

Here goes the overall stats from this past weekend on our guys.

Cuse Commits and Targets EYBL Dallas Stats
Malachi Richardson 4 games-17.5PPG, 46% FG 22-47 overall, 3RPG, 2.5APG, 77% FT 21-27 overall, 22% 3PT 5-22 overall.

Franklin Howard 4 games-13 minutes per game returning from injury, 4PPG, 43% FG 7-16 overall, 1RPG, 1.2APG.

Tyler Lydon 2 games-5PPG, 26% FG 4-15 overall, 5.5RPG, 1BPG.

Moustapha Diagne 4 games-8.2PPG, 58% FG 14-24 overall, 6RPG, 1.2BPG, 35% FT 5-14 overall.

Thomas Bryant 4 games-6.7PPG, 48% FG 12-25 overall, 4.7RPG, 1.5BPG.

Jessie Govan 4 games-17.7PPG, 55% FG 27-49 overall, 6.2RPG, 89% FT 17-19 overall.

Georgios Papagiannis 4 games-9.7PPG, 52% FG 19-36 overall, 6.2RPG, 2.2BPG

Tyus Battle 4 games-7PPG, 27% FG 8-29 overall, 75% FT 12-16 overall, 22% 3PT 2-9 overall.

Jamal Murray 4 games-10.7PPG, 41% FG 13-31 overall, 4.5RPG, 3.5APG, 78% FT 11-14 overall, 31% 3PT 6-19 overall.
Any word on Lydon? I'm guessing it's a minor injury at worst. Seems to be happy enough on twitter.

Oliver Miller? He may have eaten Michael Sweetney, but he was no Georgetown boy.
i know, I messed up =) You caught me mid edit. I googled Sweetney and got snagged in fatty confusion.

i know, I messed up =) You caught me mid edit. I googled Sweetney and got snagged in fatty confusion.
Oh sorry, do you want me to delete my post?

Oh sorry, do you want me to delete my post?
nah man, it's all good. I goofed and you pointed it out before I fixed it. No worries. I'm just sorry for all the confusion over what is, admittedly, a pretty lame joke. Hopefully some edits cleared it up.

Michael Sweetney was actually enjoyable to watch play for me. The Guy was tough in the post Dajuan Blair style. Hard to knock on a scorer like him. I remember a play or two in 2003 when he beat our triple team defense and still scored over Melo, Forth and I think Warrick. That would be almost unheard of nowadays for a big. Great game @ gtown that year, I probably wouldn't have said that if we didn't win :)

Got a chance to check out the Govan vs Bryant/Diallo game. Tee touched on a lot of things already in which I agree with. Govan does have AO like skills in the post. Really good polished footwork in the paint and can score in a variety of ways. On the flip side, he's very slow getting up n down the court, barely has any lift and athleticism to his game. Due to the lack of lift he's basically just a big body out there defensively, as he's not much of a rebounder and shot blocker. He had better success scoring over Diallo than he did against Bryant. I think he made the right choice in choosing G-Town. The slower pace will benefit him and he'll get plenty of touches in their offensive system. Bryant was his typical self. Hustling up n down, rebounding, and protecting the paint whenever they didn't have him up top of the zone. The most impressive sequence from him that I like was with his team trailing late, he got a tip in bucket, knocked down some clutch FT's, and delivered a nice bounce pass on the break to Diallo to tie the game towards the end of regulation. As I've been saying it's all about the overall intangibles with this kid. He may not be great or dominant in one specific area, but he can do plenty of things on the checklist to help your team win. Tyus Battle had some nice plays in the 1st half knocking down some jumpers and getting to the line. He was kind of quiet in the 2nd half and I think it's more about him just blending in on a new AAU team and being contempt with being a role player and not trying to be a ball hog. I think next year when Bryant/Diallo and some of the other upperclassmen are gone that you'll see him takeover and put up the numbers that we saw from him in the HS season. This is nothing new but Diallo will be a very good get for somebody(hopefully not UK). He's not great at creating offense for himself but he always finds ways to be in perfect position around the hoop to score. Like Bryant, his motor is great and he's always flying up n down the court making big plays on each end.

Got a chance to check out the Govan vs Bryant/Diallo game. Tee touched on a lot of things already in which I agree with. Govan does have AO like skills in the post. Really good polished footwork in the paint and can score in a variety of ways. On the flip side, he's very slow getting up n down the court, barely has any lift and athleticism to his game. Due to the lack of lift he's basically just a big body out there defensively, as he's not much of a rebounder and shot blocker. He had better success scoring over Diallo than he did against Bryant. I think he made the right choice in choosing G-Town. The slower pace will benefit him and he'll get plenty of touches in their offensive system. Bryant was his typical self. Hustling up n down, rebounding, and protecting the paint whenever they didn't have him up top of the zone. The most impressive sequence from him that I like was with his team trailing late, he got a tip in bucket, knocked down some clutch FT's, and delivered a nice bounce pass on the break to Diallo to tie the game towards the end of regulation. As I've been saying it's all about the overall intangibles with this kid. He may not be great or dominant in one specific area, but he can do plenty of things on the checklist to help your team win. Tyus Battle had some nice plays in the 1st half knocking down some jumpers and getting to the line. He was kind of quiet in the 2nd half and I think it's more about him just blending in on a new AAU team and being contempt with being a role player and not trying to be a ball hog. I think next year when Bryant/Diallo and some of the other upperclassmen are gone that you'll see him takeover and put up the numbers that we saw from him in the HS season. This is nothing new but Diallo will be a very good get for somebody(hopefully not UK). He's not great at creating offense for himself but he always finds ways to be in perfect position around the hoop to score. Like Bryant, his motor is great and he's always flying up n down the court making big plays on each end.

Thanks Francis! Put me in the camp that was not sure how, or if, Govan's game was going to translate to ACC level play.

When is Bryant going to make me happy? lol