Recruiting Updates | Page 66 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Updates

I have the entire game on a mini video cassette, but don't have a way to play it...

Is that the format where it stuck into an actual full size VHS tape that then went into the player?

I have the entire game on a mini video cassette, but don't have a way to play it...
This is an important historical document. There must be a way to preserve that video. But how? HOW?

Thanks Francis!

Not a very flattering report on Kobi Simmons from the EuroCamp. I still question how well this kid would fit at SU. It sounds like he picked it up a little on day 3. I know I'm one of the very few here that has concerns about his skill set. Have you seen this kid play in person?
You and others have the chance to view for yourselves the Gilbert vs Simmons matchup from this past season. Gilberts is #3 in the dark jersey, Simmons is #2 in white. I had Gilbert charted with 18 pts, 7-20 fg, 3-5 ft, 1-8 3pt, 5 rbs, 4 ast, 3 stls, 1 to. Simmons 17 pts, 6-12 fg, 4-6 ft, 1-3 3pt, 2 rbs, 4 to, 1 blk. It's hard to judge Simmons as a PG, because this was the second time that I've seen him play and it was mostly off the ball. He's a more efficient scorer than Gilbert, but Gilbert produces more in other areas at this point. Jake made a great point a few weeks ago that Simmons is mainly a high upside player and he may never reach where everybody expects him to be until he's in the NBA. When it comes to Gilbert, I've watched about 5-6 of his games this spring and he has not shot it well at all from deep. So I don't think he'll be the answer to our shooting woes right away if we were to land him. He scores most of his points around the rim and gets to the foul line a lot.

Francis03 If you were looking at the best "get" for Syracuse, for a guy who will help the program out the very most overall, who would you want to land most:

Alterique
Kobi
Huerter

I have to be honest...I'm starting to lean toward Huerter.

Huerter appears to be a shooting guard. Out of all his highlights there is only one half court set drive to the basket. There is nothing to show his handle and his physique would not enable him to take point guard type contact, let alone drives. However, his shot and passing are impressive. I would say that the closest comparison would be JB in his playing days, heady player with a reliable shot, not someone that needs the ball in his hands, someone that will score points quietly.

Francis03 If you were looking at the best "get" for Syracuse, for a guy who will help the program out the very most overall, who would you want to land most:

Alterique
Kobi
Huerter

I have to be honest...I'm starting to lean toward Huerter.
Huerter is my guy as well. I would take him in this class and just go hard after Duval for 2017. If Simmons is a possibility then no doubt keep trying, but I just don't see the staff waiting until the spring of next year for an answer. Kaleb's development is also key here. If he can just step his game up and actually play like the four star recruit that he was coming into SU next season and show some improvement along with Frank Howard, who was recruited as a PG. Then the need for a PG isn't as huge as most are making it out to be and you can get a combo like Huerter. Heck Simmons is basically a combo and not really a pure PG as well.

Great point about Joseph, Francis. If he makes the big leap then we don't need a guy who can step in and play pg right away in 2016. Huerter, a known shooter who could play pg down the road or be an Andy Rautins type combo guard, would make a lot of sense then.
If not we will push hard for the first commit we can get between Gilbert and Simmons.

Last edited:
Huerter is my guy as well. I would take him in this class and just go hard after Duval for 2017. If Simmons is a possibility then no doubt keep trying, but I just don't see the staff waiting until the spring of next year for an answer. Kaleb's development is also key here. If he can just step his game up and actually play like the four star recruit that he was coming into SU next season and show some improvement along with Frank Howard, who was recruited as a PG. Then the need for a PG isn't as huge as most are making it out to be and you can get a combo like Huerter. Heck Simmons is basically a combo and not really a pure PG as well.

First, thanks for the link to the Simmons/Gilbert game. To my eye, Simmons was the 4th best kid on the floor in that game (Lamont West, Beasly, Gilbert looked better). I've seen several of Kobi's games/clips now. I don't think he can be an effective PG at a major college program. The release point on his jumper is also a major concern for me. Elite athlete, great size, great in the open court, great highlight dunks, top 15 ranking - makes me sound like a dope to even question his game.

I think Hueter, Murray, Fultz would be better "fits" at guard given the scholarship limitations. I really like Lonnie Walker and Duval (2017 kids). And Michael Porter could easily be one of 2 or 3 best kids in that class.

I think we would probably all agree it would be f***ing awesome to have more scholarships so that we could just take Gilbert and Huerter and our guard problems would be solved in an instant.

Friggin' NCAA, man.

Duh, of course I wrote about this: http://.com/which-guard-makes-the-most-sense-for-su/

(I think I actually dozed off in the middle of writing a couple sentences...I apologize if any gibberish snuck in for that reason)

Last edited:
I think we would probably all agree it would be f***ing awesome to have more scholarships so that we could just take Gilbert and Huerter and our guard problems would be solved in an instant.

Friggin' NCAA, man.

Duh, of course I wrote about this: http://.com/which-guard-makes-the-most-sense-for-su/

(I think I actually dozed off in the middle of writing a couple sentences...I apologize if any gibberish snuck in for that reason)

Assuming TR leaves for NBA then that leaves 7 scholarship players. With Moyer that leaves 2 open spots for 2016.

Please forgive me for saying this but if DC2's knees are not capable of performing we may have 3 open spots for 2016.

I think the program is going through a low with all the NCAA sanctions. We are going through a tough period right now. It will be difficult to get 5-star recruits for a few years. But I think I prefer good four star recruits who play for us 2 to 4 years. At least that way you get to know the player you are rooting for.

Assuming TR leaves for NBA then that leaves 7 scholarship players.

Assuming Roberson will jump to the NBA is a big assumption. We need to hope we get a reduction in the scholarship limitations.

I think it's a little premature to assume TR leaves for the NBA. The more likely open scholarship would probably be either from Chino leaving or DC2's health failing again, and him deciding to hang it up. Other than those two things happening, though, I can't see any other scholarships getting freed up.

Assuming TR leaves for NBA then that leaves 7 scholarship players. With Moyer that leaves 2 open spots for 2016.

Please forgive me for saying this but if DC2's knees are not capable of performing we may have 3 open spots for 2016.

I think the program is going through a low with all the NCAA sanctions. We are going through a tough period right now. It will be difficult to get 5-star recruits for a few years. But I think I prefer good four star recruits who play for us 2 to 4 years. At least that way you get to know the player you are rooting for.

What has Roberson shown that makes him a first round pick next year? Even if he has a monster year he's still not NBA PF size and I doubt he'll ever form a game to play the 3 in the NBA. He can be a very solid player for us, even beyond that but I don't think he is an NBA player but should have many solid years in Europe.

What has Roberson shown that makes him a first round pick next year? Even if he has a monster year he's still not NBA PF size and I doubt he'll ever form a game to play the 3 in the NBA. He can be a very solid player for us, even beyond that but I don't think he is an NBA player but should have many solid years in Europe.
Yeah, my thought process on this is that if CJ Fair couldn't get drafted as a senior, I'm not sure how Roberson can be an early entrant.

Roberson's already a better rebounder. He just needs the mid range jumper. I think he has a shot to be as dangerous as Jerami was downlow, as well as potent like CJ fair was from 20 ft.

Roberson is not nearly as athletic and quick as Grant. Doesn't have the leaping ability and is a lot more mechanical in the way he plays the game. Don't see how Roberson will be a two and done player...