Recruiting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting

53d542af64a40.image.jpg

My favorite team of all time. If only Arinze didn’t go down again G’town dammit.

sanctions were designed to cripple the program, and in many senses they did. but jb and staff managed to hold things together and keep the school relevant. in the four years during this stretch that the school was eligible for the ncaa tournament, it earned 3 invitations . . . and proceeded to win 70% of the games once it got there.

now they have put together 2 straight solid classes and are deeply in the mix once again for very high end recruits in consecutive classes (jackson, chandler, johnson)

the future looks bright from my perspective.
Could you elaborate on the crippling nature of the sanctions? I don't remember all the details now, but I remember the main thing being that we couldn't be out on the recruiting trail as much, therefore limiting the amount of relationship-building we could do with recruits. Was there other stuff too?

Could you elaborate on the crippling nature of the sanctions? I don't remember all the details now, but I remember the main thing being that we couldn't be out on the recruiting trail as much, therefore limiting the amount of relationship-building we could do with recruits. Was there other stuff too?

We lost 3 scholarship for a couple years, then 2, then 1.

How many scholarships did we give to walk ons those years?

Beats me, but we had to run some guys off that we had taken flyers on.

Losing BJ was tough, but was running Kaleb and Buss out of town that big a deal? Chinoso? And i think two of those years we still gave walk ons scholorships.

Well, I honestly think that Chino was a pitty-ship to try to get his HS teammate Thomas Bryant. As others have said, if Kaleb had been able to learn under Ennis for a year, it might have turned out differently for him. Buss might have been a serviceable defensive stopper by his junior year. But yeah, not our height of recruiting.

How many scholarships did we give to walk ons those years?

Exactly. The sanctions and its degree of impact have been argued here ad nauseam. And, depending on what side of the fence you view things from (as people see what they want to see and believe what they want to believe) there's plenty of wiggle room and subjectivity to go around. However, fact is, even with the scholly limitations, we still had schollies to offer during most of that time period, hence, ultimately walk-ons being awarded.

Well, I honestly think that Chino was a pitty-ship to try to get his HS teammate Thomas Bryant. As others have said, if Kaleb had been able to learn under Ennis for a year, it might have turned out differently for him. Buss might have been a serviceable defensive stopper by his junior year. But yeah, not our height of recruiting.

I never read one thing about Bryant and Chin being close. Kaleb played college basketball for 5 years, this isnt the NFL "learning under a player". Buss, his defense would never be good enough to overcome his offensive issues.

Losing BJ was tough, but was running Kaleb and Buss out of town that big a deal? Chinoso? And i think two of those years we still gave walk ons scholorships.

Lost BJ and I don’t exactly recall the specifics, but it likely cost us Huerter too. Imagine just one of them on our 2017-18 sweet 16 team that couldnt shoot?

No doubt not our height of recruiting. In regards to Joseph though, IMO, he was a flat out miss as were some others. Joseph transferred to Creighton and really didn't fair too much better relative to performance.

people seriously discount the reputational hit on the school and especially the head coach - suspending him, docking victories, etc. putting the program on probation for 5 years, the meaning of which had to be explained to every recruit ("no, it doesn't mean we are banned from the tournament for 5 years, we already served a one year ban and are eligible going forward") and of course were never able to explain to those who heard or read "probation" and automatically eliminated syracuse

but the biggest one was that they cut the staff's ability to recruit in half for 2 years, which probably impacted things for 4 years as it limited the ability to develop relationships with younger kids in the freshman, sophomore classes. this year's freshman class is the first to be free of the rolling effects of the sanctions

Lost BJ and I don’t exactly recall the specifics, but it likely cost us Huerter too. Imagine just one of them on our 2017-18 sweet 16 team that couldnt shoot?

I have zero knowledge but reading between the lines I believe BJ left on his own.

We chose Tauren Thompson and Matthew Moyer over Huerter. Huerter was a top 50 recruit ranked better than the two mentioned and we grabbed Battle that class. I don't see reductions as why we didnt get him. We probably shouldn't have asked him to go to prep school when he had other power 5 offers. This was a recruiting fail.

I have zero knowledge but reading between the lines I believe BJ left on his own.

We chose Tauren Thompson and Matthew Moyer over Huerter. Huerter was a top 50 recruit ranked better than the two mentioned and we grabbed Battle that class. I don't see reductions as why we didnt get him. We probably shouldn't have asked him to go to prep school when he had other power 5 offers. This was a recruiting fail.

I don’t know...several had the story on Huerter, and it sounded like he would’ve been Orange if we had another ‘ship.

I don’t think BJ leaving was unrelated to the sanctions either. But I also forget the details there. Many here know that one though.

I never read one thing about Bryant and Chin being close. Kaleb played college basketball for 5 years, this isnt the NFL "learning under a player". Buss, his defense would never be good enough to overcome his offensive issues.

They were HS teammates for 2 years in Rochester before he transferred to that prep school in Indiana.

No doubt not our height of recruiting. In regards to Joseph though, IMO, he was a flat out miss as were some others. Joseph transferred to Creighton and really didn't fair too much better relative to performance.

Flat out miss, but he was a 4 star high school talent.

people seriously discount the reputational hit on the school and especially the head coach - suspending him, docking victories, etc. putting the program on probation for 5 years, the meaning of which had to be explained to every recruit ("no, it doesn't mean we are banned from the tournament for 5 years, we already served a one year ban and are eligible going forward") and of course were never able to explain to those who heard or read "probation" and automatically eliminated syracuse

but the biggest one was that they cut the staff's ability to recruit in half for 2 years, which probably impacted things for 4 years as it limited the ability to develop relationships with younger kids in the freshman, sophomore classes. this year's freshman class is the first to be free of the rolling effects of the sanctions

I think JB's energy level at a certain point, when Mike was in-waiting and the clock was ticking on his career, JB stopped working so hard at recruiting, and Mike kind of checked out his last year. He was not working the recruiting circuit that hard.

Then there was the famous viral photo of JB sleeping at an AAU event. That must have been sent around thousands of times to our prospects. JB may not do social media, but as we can tell from the football side of the house, the players certainly do.

I think that once Mike left, and then Jimmy went to Cornell and played in the Dome, and Buddy did so well at prep school and came to play for his dad, I think those those really got JB's juices flowing again.

They were HS teammates for 2 years in Rochester before he transferred to that prep school in Indiana.

So that makes them friends and sways a top 20 player to go to a school? Come on

So that makes them friends and sways a top 20 player to go to a school? Come on

Come on right back at you. You played sports in HS, didn't you? You make lifelong friendships with kids you played sports with.
By the way, we've had players from the same school (or the same AAU team) on the SU team many times over the years.

This may be a newsflash to you, but kids like to play on teams with other kids they know (HS or AAU) who are good.

Didn't have room for Huerter and asked him to prep for a year. He didn't want to wait and committed to Maryland in Sept 2015.

Malachi ended up leaving after 1 year and there would have been room for him after all.

Andrew White ended up with the slot.

Come on right back at you. You played sports in HS, didn't you? You make lifelong friendships with kids you played sports with.
By the way, we've had players from the same school (or the same AAU team) on the SU team many times over the years.

This may be a newsflash to you, but kids like to play on teams with other kids they know (HS or AAU) who are good.

Therein may lay the problem with Obokoh...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom