regarding the Heat | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

regarding the Heat

Yeah, I agree I thought the block was clean, but even if it wasn't; it's not like arguing is going to get you anything, and meanwhile the play is going on down the court! Say something after a whistle if you want, but get back on D!

Gasol for Pierce is interesting; Gasol is 3 years younger. I have no idea what direction the C's are gonna go, but I don't see them trading Pierce to the Lakers. Guess we'll see.

I don't know how much I buy the not trade to your rival thing. That said, that may just be me and maybe there really is something to it. My logic would be that if you are rebuilding, you take the best offers you can get for what you have regardless of the trading partner.

That said, the Celts may very well believe that making the ECF and taking it to 7 games was a strong run and by tweaking, maybe they have one more in them.

I know a lot of the commentary after game 6 (primarily Magic) was that their legs were dead. They didn't look dead to me at all. So well just have to wait and see.

44cuse

I don't know how much I buy the not trade to your rival thing. That said, that may just be me and maybe there really is something to it. My logic would be that if you are rebuilding, you take the best offers you can get for what you have regardless of the trading partner.

That said, the Celts may very well believe that making the ECF and taking it to 7 games was a strong run and by tweaking, maybe they have one more in them.

I know a lot of the commentary after game 6 (primarily Magic) was that their legs were dead. They didn't look dead to me at all. So well just have to wait and see.

44cuse

Doesn't it feel like the media just kind of fits stories into a pre-conceived narrative more and more each year? The Celts are old...so when they finally lose, its because the old men ran out of gas. Meanwhile, prior to Game 6, Magic Johnson, Steven A Smith and others were singing a different tune. "Celts look rejuventaed...can't ever count these guys out!"

Just like when Miami loses, the narrative will go back to, "Lebron cant close big games" no matter if he averages 35 ppg...vicious circle. If Lebron wins...then we get to focus in on why D Rose, K Durant, etc haven't won the big one yet.

Doesn't it feel like the media just kind of fits stories into a pre-conceived narrative more and more each year? The Celts are old...so when they finally lose, its because the old men ran out of gas. Meanwhile, prior to Game 6, Magic Johnson, Steven A Smith and others were singing a different tune. "Celts look rejuventaed...can't ever count these guys out!"

Just like when Miami loses, the narrative will go back to, "Lebron cant close big games" no matter if he averages 35 ppg...vicious circle. If Lebron wins...then we get to focus in on why D Rose, K Durant, etc haven't won the big one yet.

lol...it feels like the Celtics are old storyline has been going on for 3 years now. I mean, I guess they are elder statesman, but it's not like they're running the 1992 Dream Team out there.

I've never understood why people hate Lebron for giving two and a half mil to the Boys and Girls Club.

I've never understood why people hate Lebron for giving two and a half mil to the Boys and Girls Club.

r u 4 serious?

Of course. What are you against the mission of the Boys and Girls Club?

Theres alot of good guys in the NBA and Lebron may be one but he gave $$$ to the Boys and Girls Club in one of the most egomaniacal displays of self appreciation ever in the history of sports. Lots of these guys give money to charities all the time and if Lebron wanted to give to the Boys and Girls Clubs he easily could have, he didnt have to announce where he was taking his talents on live tv holding his hometown team hostage and destroying them as he did so. Then later have the most ridiculous introduction of sports stars ever, then promise not one, not two, not three.....sound familiar? Maybe hes not a bad guy but that was freakin comical and it blew people's minds, and I dont think anyone has forgotten.

While I don't disagree with you, here is the way most of the world sees it:

You can give $2.5M to the Boys and Girls Club without announcing you are leaving Cleveland on television.

And there're not wrong. I don't think it's a big deal, but I definitely understand why most people do.

44cuse

Im no different from King James...usually when I give to charity I hold a press conference and bring my girlfriend with me. I then break up with her, call a hotter girl to the stage, tell my girlfriend im leaving her for the hotter girl, then tell my now ex-gf to leave so I can hit it not once, not twice, not three times.....

I dont get why noone appreciates my generosity?

Wade is the 3rd greatest shooting guard of all time. Learn the damn sport before you try posting about it.
ray allen, reggie miller, michael jordan. there's three better without even trying.

ray allen, reggie miller, michael jordan. there's three better without even trying.

8JRU

Its MJ, Kobe then...I guess you could put Wade there. Im not old enough to know just how good Jerry West or George Gervin was.

Its MJ, Kobe then...I guess you could put Wade there. Im not old enough to know just how good Jerry West or George Gervin was.

It's hard to compare West because he played so long ago, but I would think it's MJ, West, Kobe, in some order. (With Jordan being first, of course).

I read an amazing stat on West. They didn't track steals until his last year in the league (and seriously, how is that possible? What the hell were the score keepers doing? They apparently didn't even differentiate offensive and defensive rebounds until his last year). Anyway, as a 35 year old, West averaged 3.4 steals per 40 minutes, which is a crazy number for anyone really, let alone a 35 year old. Chris Paul lead the league with about 2.8 per 40 this year.

Drexler?

Iverson?

Struggling to come up with many others that would even be options - or at least any where the argument would be worth the effort.

Drexler, Iverson, Maravich, Ray Allen all right there with Wade, imo. Wade certainly has a chance to pass them all.

Pistol's NBA stats are pretty underwhelming, at least in discussion for best 2 guards of all time.

Also I guess it's hard with a guy like Wade since he is still in his career as we speak. If he crashes and burns in the next 2 years, then maybe this is a dumb argument, but if he plays at a reasonably high level for the next 6 years then it's a different argument.

Putting my dislike for Wade aside, I would probably put him at 3 or 4. MJ then Kobe then West/Wade or Wade/West.

It's hard to compare West because he played so long ago, but I would think it's MJ, West, Kobe, in some order. (With Jordan being first, of course).

I read an amazing stat on West. They didn't track steals until his last year in the league (and seriously, how is that possible? What the hell were the score keepers doing? They apparently didn't even differentiate offensive and defensive rebounds until his last year). Anyway, as a 35 year old, West averaged 3.4 steals per 40 minutes, which is a crazy number for anyone really, let alone a 35 year old. Chris Paul lead the league with about 2.8 per 40 this year.

Jerry West was a tremendous defensive player and while steals don't necessarily equate to defensive ability, the numbers you cite seem to bear that out. As you know he was also an amazing player on the offensive end.

The guys in this thread who say they are too young to evaluate West in comparison to Wade (not you, Knicks411) would do well to spend some time looking at what West and Oscar Robertson (who played primarily at the 2) accomplished.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/westje01.htm
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/roberos01.html

Was Oscar a 2? I could never really tell. I'm way too young to have seen either guy play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom