Richt resigns from Miami / hires Manny Diaz | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Richt resigns from Miami / hires Manny Diaz

Babers was in the final four considerations for OSU.

Your consideration....

I’m considering marrying the next Pron star i see before I head to bed. No pun intended.

Your consideration...

I’m considering marrying the next Pron star i see before I head to bed. No pun intended.
Huh? Ohio State AD Gene Smith expressly stayed that Babers was one of four candidates he considered.

Now that they have hired Diaz, it's safe for me to say that I entirely agree with what the CBSSports guy wrote not just today but back in 2015 as well. That article he wrote back in 2015 was one of the reasons why I was so high on Babers when we went after him. Miami needed to get away from what they have been doing and needed to think differently. I did believe Richt might be the answer for them, but the UGA fans knew better. He was mailing it in towards the end there and he was mailing it in at Miami as well. The disaster that is the Coastal division hid this better than being in the SEC.

Leach or Babers was the way for the Hurricanes to go. Diaz is Golden redux to me. Wish him the best and hope he eventually works out for the Canes since a strong Miami program will help the conference and if things go right we will meet them in the ACCCG before we get to meet them again in the regular season. ;):p:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Neil

Where’s all the criticism of Diaz leaving temple so quick... oh wait, he’s not a 21 year old kid trying to protect his future by skipping a bowl game.
1546231471933.jpeg

Now that they have hired Diaz, it's safe for me to say that I entirely agree with what the CBSSports guy wrote not just today but back in 2015 as well. That article he wrote back in 2015 was one of the reasons why I was so high on Babers when we went after him. Miami needed to get away from what they have been doing and needed to think differently. I did believe Richt might be the answer for them, but the UGA fans knew better. He was mailing it in towards the end there and he was mailing it in at Miami as well. The disaster that is the Coastal division hid this better than being in the SEC.

Leach or Babers was the way for the Hurricanes to go. Diaz is Golden redux to me. Wish him the best and hope he eventually works out for the Canes since a strong Miami program will help the conference and if things go right we will meet them in the ACCCG before we get to meet them again in the regular season. ;):p:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Neil
Thing is, had Miami hired Dino back then, it would have been a head scratcher.

Besides Kirby Smart, have many/any D-Coordinator promotions or hires worked out very well in the last 5 or so years? Not a rhetorical question, I just don't follow that stuff closely enough.

Besides Kirby Smart, have many/any D-Coordinator promotions or hires worked out very well in the last 5 or so years? Not a rhetorical question, I just don't follow that stuff closely enough.

Does Narduzzi qualify?

Thing is, had Miami hired Dino back then, it would have been a head scratcher.

Without a doubt. But then going in an entirely different direction sometimes means making what appears to be a headscratcher type move.

Cheers,
Neil

Without a doubt. But then going in an entirely different direction sometimes means making what appears to be a headscratcher type move.

Cheers,
Neil
Oh I agree, hiring in college football is nuts.

I thought Richt was a good hire for them though. Iit wasn't crazy to think he could perform for them like he did at Georgia.

Mark Richt was an alum and had worn out his welcome at UGA. It was a no brainer hire at the time.

Not disputing that. But the question is- why had Richt "worn out his welcome" at UGa? The answer to that question probably explains why he resigns now, despite a decent record at Miami. Anyway, I thought it was a good choice back then as well. But I also remember Bulldogs fans and even some FSU, GT, and Clemson fans questioning it at the time.

Looking at this solely from a Miami pov, I happen to agree that back in 2015 (and even now) Miami needed to try something different. Hiring "alums" may be a "safe" move, especially an alum with the coaching record Richt had at the time. Yet, had they done what the CBS Sports guy suggested back in 2015 (and I will be eternally grateful that they didn't), while a riskier move, wouldn't they have been better off? Dino knows he can win with three star kids so he wouldn't put up with the nonsense and attitudes of many of these Miami players. They would have a "Coming to Jesus" moment or they would be out pure and simple. It's his way or the highway. You either buy in or you sit. The coaching hires in Miami have consistently not been able to rid the program of the Miami athletically entitled/superior attitude/culture. Golden tried, but he didn't give them much else to aspire to. Babers could have.

Again, I wish Diaz good fortune because as I said before the league needs a strong Miami program (and they aren't in our division anyway), but he has no head coaching experience. He's just another "alum". Same old, same old.

And for anyone wondering, yes, part of this is JB related. I hope JB continues to coach throughout the next decade but when he does finally retire in his 80s, I also hope we are bold enough to look beyond hiring an "alum", particularly those "alums" with assistant coaching experience here. Hope we think bigger than that.

Cheers,
Neil

Miami as a program has regressed. The only people that think they are a national title contender year in, year out is their delusional fanbase.

No one needs to convince Dino that he can win here. He knows he can win here. He’s the one convincing everyone else he can win here lol.

Plus, when they expand the playoff to 8 teams, which they will, it even affords more opportunity.

If I’m Dino, if I have a salary in the top 20, why would I walk away from a comparatively low pressure gig that I built from the ground up the way I wanted it to be with my people? With a dome that fits my offense like a glove and gives me what should be 6 wins in the bag each year?

As long as the administration supports him and continues to invest in the program, I can’t see him leaving outside an elite program willing to dump a ton of money for him. And even then I don’t think it’s a guarantee he leaves.