Rick Pitino? | Syracusefan.com

Rick Pitino?

cto

Administrator
Watching the UConn/St John's game, I am fascinated by Pitino's strawberry-blond hair. Every previous time I've seen him, his hair was practically jet black.

Pitino's hair aside, this is a fun game to watch. Classic old-time Big East battle, tied with 10 minutes to go. I'd prefer to watch this any day ... rather than a game between, let's say, Wake Forest and Georgia Tech.

I miss competitive Big East brawls like this.

Last edited:
I had to laugh when one of the announcers said how great an officiating job the crew had done. I guess he meant they ignored the worst fouls on both ends.

Quite frankly, that is one of the last thing SU will do.
These days football is more valuable thus more important than basketball. I think SU will seek membership in Big 12 first. If rejected then go back to Big East and let football be independent.

These days football is more valuable thus more important than basketball. I think SU will seek membership in Big 12 first. If rejected then go back to Big East and let football be independent.
Big 12 for sure and no way they would reject us, we are still a good basketball brand which is important to Yormark, and football is decent enough and hopefully getting better going forward. The only Power conference team from NY is valuable to them

I just don't get this? Their contract is up in 2029, they have no network, and depending on who you believe we'd make less money.

Their value could just as easily collapse, only so much Iowa State - Arizona State one can watch.

And back to cto's post, Rick's hair is entering Bono territory...

Watching the UConn/St John's game, I am fascinated by Pitino's strawberry-blond hair. Every previous time I've seen him, his hair was practically jet black.

Pitino's hair aside, this is a fun game to watch. Classic old-time Big East battle, tied with 10 minutes to go. I'd prefer to watch this any day ... rather than a game between, let's say, Wake Forest and Georgia Tech.

I miss competitive Big East brawls like this.
Who knows, we may be back in the Big East sooner than we thought with where the ACC might be headed. lol.

I for sure hope we have better options

100% agree. With the direction college athletics is going, there’s an incredibly good chance “going back to the Big East” equals “becoming totally irrelevant”.

At some point I expect the power football conferences are going to break away from the NCAA, and the basketball tournament will go bye bye. So ideally we’re part of the new structure and not stuck in a mostly irrelevant NCAA, playing basketball in a Big East nobody cares about.

I hope the Syracuse administration is playing the long game, and not looking at a UConn championship thinking that UConn took a path which will pay off in the long run. Because it won’t.

Clingan chose UConn because he's from CT and didn't want to leave home.
Plus there was some family health issues that he wanted to be closer for his mom I believe.

It'd be like if Andray Blatche decided to go to college, but wanted to stay close to his mom.

Sidebar. Andray on that 04-05 team would have been interesting.

Donovan Clingans mother died from breast cancer in 2018. He is very close to his dad, which was a huge factor in Donovan choosing UConn over Su. From all accounts he is a very nice young man

Big 12 for sure and no way they would reject us, we are still a good basketball brand which is important to Yormark, and football is decent enough and hopefully getting better going forward. The only Power conference team from NY is valuable to them.
Why not maximize revenue and imprint?
Different conferences for different sports would be a way for schools to go (conference-binding contracts would have to be modified).

Doubt the Syracuse/Upstate market means much to any conference.
SU generally doesn't have much importance in NYC market unless it's a really big game or perhaps being played in NYC.
One reason the Orange should schedule at least one hoops game in MSG every season.

Why not maximize revenue and imprint?
Different conferences for different sports would be a way for schools to go (conference-binding contracts would have to be modified).

Doubt the Syracuse/Upstate market means much to any conference.
SU generally doesn't have much importance in NYC market unless it's a really big game or perhaps being played in NYC.
One reason the Orange should schedule at least one hoops game in MSG every season.
SU has a huge alumni base in NYC, that matters. If we can play hoops in the Big East and be in a power conference in football, fine with me

100% agree. With the direction college athletics is going, there’s an incredibly good chance “going back to the Big East” equals “becoming totally irrelevant”.

At some point I expect the power football conferences are going to break away from the NCAA, and the basketball tournament will go bye bye. So ideally we’re part of the new structure and not stuck in a mostly irrelevant NCAA, playing basketball in a Big East nobody cares about.

I hope the Syracuse administration is playing the long game, and not looking at a UConn championship thinking that UConn took a path which will pay off in the long run. Because it won’t.
UConn was a very strong team last year, and they peaked at the right time, so not taking anything away from them. They were really good. However, last year was yet another tournament title where they literally played no other team that could match them. That was one of the easier marches to a title in recent memory. There wasn’t a team in that Final Four that could even give them a game for 40 minutes.

As a comparison, SU had to go through three #1 seeds in 2003 to win it. The game has changed. Parity rules. Last year was like watching UConn beat up on craptastic Butler all over again. Not one team they played could match up with UConn’s interior players one on one, which left the perimeter wide open. It would have been interesting to see that UConn team play an equally imposing team during the last two weekends. Oh well. Maybe this year the top teams won’t choke, or the committee will do a better job in seeding the teams. UConn was underrated and several others were overrated.

Donovan Clingans mother died from breast cancer in 2018. He is very close to his dad, which was a huge factor in Donovan choosing UConn over Su. From all accounts he is a very nice young man
I didn’t follow his story at all. I just knew SU and UConn were the final two schools on his list. Wish he had picked us, but family comes first.

I didn’t follow his story at all. I just knew SU and UConn were the final two schools on his list. Wish he had picked us, but family comes first.
His mom had died and he has a younger sibling at home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom