Rick Pitino? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rick Pitino?

SU has a huge alumni base in NYC, that matters. If we can play hoops in the Big East and be in a power conference in football, fine with me
Yes NYC area alumni certainly are important when it comes
To
Getting great turnout at MSG or Barclays.
But it’s irrelevant to anything resembling regular SU sports media
Coverage.

In a previous job we had 4 alumni in the same row of cubicles…two investigative guys and two sports guys. The news director was also an alum. That didn’t help get a single story on the air.

But it would be great to rebuild the basketball program and be back in The Big East.

Football needs its own rebuilding. But landing in any conference on its own would have to happen without the benefit of bringing along any meaningful NYC TV viewership.

UConn was a very strong team last year, and they peaked at the right time, so not taking anything away from them. They were really good. However, last year was yet another tournament title where they literally played no other team that could match them. That was one of the easier marches to a title in recent memory. There wasn’t a team in that Final Four that could even give them a game for 40 minutes.

As a comparison, SU had to go through three #1 seeds in 2003 to win it. The game has changed. Parity rules. Last year was like watching UConn beat up on craptastic Butler all over again. Not one team they played could match up with UConn’s interior players one on one, which left the perimeter wide open. It would have been interesting to see that UConn team play an equally imposing team during the last two weekends. Oh well. Maybe this year the top teams won’t choke, or the committee will do a better job in seeding the teams. UConn was underrated and several others were overrated.
They beat like 4 single digit seeds and 4 top 20 ranked teams. I know it’s UConn and people hate them but this is ridiculous saying it was an easy run.

I just don't get this? Their contract is up in 2029, they have no network, and depending on who you believe we'd make less money.

Their value could just as easily collapse, only so much Iowa State - Arizona State one can watch.

And back to cto's post, Rick's hair is entering Bono territory...

It seems to me that ESPN made a business decision about 10 years to sacrifice the ACC for the SEC and the Big 12, when Fox bought up the Big 10 and Pac 12.

We have the most graduates, the biggest audience and the best media coverage on the east coast. Why did ESPN choose to basically kill the ACC? ACC basketball was kind of their signature brand, for years and years.

I just don't get it, but they've been behind most of this. I imagine if the ACC completely implodes, they will be pulled into the suit.

Big 12 for sure and no way they would reject us, we are still a good basketball brand which is important to Yormark, and football is decent enough and hopefully getting better going forward. The only Power conference team from NY is valuable to them
For the reason "the only power conference team from NY", actually I think we might be chosen by B1G instead of some Magnificent Seven ACC teams like Virginia Tech or NC State.

But . . . Can we? Because that would be a dream come true.
Are you remembering the teams or the Big East? That was a comet in the sky. I still watch the documentary that was done on the Big East, bringing back many memories.

But, as the expression says, 'You can never go home again'.

Watching the UConn/St John's game, I am fascinated by Pitino's strawberry-blond hair. Every previous time I've seen him, his hair was practically jet black.

Pitino's hair aside, this is a fun game to watch. Classic old-time Big East battle, tied with 10 minutes to go. I'd prefer to watch this any day ... rather than a game between, let's say, Wake Forest and Georgia Tech.

I miss competitive Big East brawls like this.
Me too. Really the best of SU basketball was the Big East. Good teams, great teams, coaches who were personalities, such a competitive and fun atmosphere.

Watching the UConn/St John's game, I am fascinated by Pitino's strawberry-blond hair. Every previous time I've seen him, his hair was practically jet black.

Pitino's hair aside, this is a fun game to watch. Classic old-time Big East battle, tied with 10 minutes to go. I'd prefer to watch this any day ... rather than a game between, let's say, Wake Forest and Georgia Tech.

College basketball will never be the same for me. I use to watch every Big East game on TV back in the day. I bet at the peak I could probably give you the starting lineup of every team in the league.

Why not maximize revenue and imprint?
Different conferences for different sports would be a way for schools to go (conference-binding contracts would have to be modified).

Doubt the Syracuse/Upstate market means much to any conference.
SU generally doesn't have much importance in NYC market unless it's a really big game or perhaps being played in NYC.
One reason the Orange should schedule at least one hoops game in MSG every season.
lol, the upstate NY population is something like 8 million people, which would still put it in the top half of all states. Oh, and Syracuse also draws very well in NYC and Long Island. The potential TV draw is still high.

Are you remembering the teams or the Big East? That was a comet in the sky. I still watch the documentary that was done on the Big East, bringing back many memories.

But, as the expression says, 'You can never go home again'.
looney tunes awn GIF

Why? WHY? Why do you - - - - on my dreams?
Because the “Big East” hasn’t been the the Big East in over twenty years.

And, like it or not the ACC has been a great asset for the SU Athletic Department.

It has added significant revenue - well beyond anything the BE could provide.

It has been an excellent platform for Olympic sports including soccer and lacrosse.

And, it has served the biggest and most important need - the football program.

The Big East was derived, of course, as a basketball conference. Ultimately it did not and could not provide our football program with the competition and revenue it needed.

The ACC does that - at least for now it does.

We just need to get better and compete at the next level.

Last edited:
Because the “Big East” hasn’t been the the Big East in over twenty years.

And, like it or not the ACC has been a great asset for the SU Athletic Department.

It has added significant revenue - well beyond anything the BE could provide.

It has been an excellent platform for Olympic sports including soccer and lacrosse.

And, it has served the biggest and most important need - the football program.

The Big East was derived, of course, as a basketball conference. Ultimately it did not and could not provide our football program with the competition and revenue source it needed.

The ACC does that - at least for now it does.

We just need to get better and compete at the next level.
You answered me thoroughly. I guess the Big East is most sincerely dead.

Why not maximize revenue and imprint?
Different conferences for different sports would be a way for schools to go (conference-binding contracts would have to be modified).

Doubt the Syracuse/Upstate market means much to any conference.
SU generally doesn't have much importance in NYC market unless it's a really big game or perhaps being played in NYC.
One reason the Orange should schedule at least one hoops game in MSG every season.

I can’t imagine why any power conference would take Syracuse football, which is mostly irrelevant -while allowing Syracuse basketball which still has high value relative to the market average play outside the conference.

UConn basically killed their football program to get basketball back into the Big East - realistically that’s the only option which would get Syracuse basketball to the Big East. And as I’ve noted, the likelihood that’s a good long term strategy is very low.

I can’t imagine why any power conference would take Syracuse football, which is mostly irrelevant -while allowing Syracuse basketball which still has high value relative to the market average play outside the conference.

UConn basically killed their football program to get basketball back into the Big East - realistically that’s the only option which would get Syracuse basketball to the Big East. And as I’ve noted, the likelihood that’s a good long term strategy is very low.

There is a notion of "brand" that appeals to casual football fans. Like when your dad used to play the paper parlays for college football, if your dad maybe worked in a factor in the 60s, 70s or 80s.

Casual fans tune in to watch certain teams more than others. Even though our football has been mostly crap this century, we have a big presence in the media, we sell a lot of gear, there are celebrities still being photographed with Syracuse gear on, Otto the Orange is well recognized and cute and appeals to young fans and families.

Then there is all the history attached to the program that is still relevant today. First African American to win the Heisman. Greatest player of all time, One of the first schools to give black players a chance at QB, let alone have them become stars. Hall of Famers and draft picks, decade after decade.

People, and their parents and grandparents, all have some familiarity with the brand "Syracuse".

That part is what lures the casual fan to a game; a "name" opponent who they recognize. Sure, Purdue or Wisconsin or NC State don't necessarily start the heart racing, but casual fans know about them, and may be curious enough to watch them play against their team.

We have Brand. Pitt has Brand. BC has Brand. West Virginia has Brand.

Mississippie State, Iowa State, Arizona State, UConn, Rutgers or Temple do not have "Brand Identity" in football, no matter how well their team plays any particular year.

There is a notion of "brand" that appeals to casual football fans. Like when your dad used to play the paper parlays for college football, if your dad maybe worked in a factor in the 60s, 70s or 80s.

Casual fans tune in to watch certain teams more than others. Even though our football has been mostly crap this century, we have a big presence in the media, we sell a lot of gear, there are celebrities still being photographed with Syracuse gear on, Otto the Orange is well recognized and cute and appeals to young fans and families.

Then there is all the history attached to the program that is still relevant today. First African American to win the Heisman. Greatest player of all time, One of the first schools to give black players a chance at QB, let alone have them become stars. Hall of Famers and draft picks, decade after decade.

People, and their parents and grandparents, all have some familiarity with the brand "Syracuse".

That part is what lures the casual fan to a game; a "name" opponent who they recognize. Sure, Purdue or Wisconsin or NC State don't necessarily start the heart racing, but casual fans know about them, and may be curious enough to watch them play against their team.

We have Brand. Pitt has Brand. BC has Brand. West Virginia has Brand.

Mississippie State, Iowa State, Arizona State, UConn, Rutgers or Temple do not have "Brand Identity" in football, no matter how well their team plays any particular year.

If your argument is a major conference would want our football program if basketball didn’t join and went to the Big East instead, I would say that is absolutely, positively insane.

If your argument is our football program still has enough of a brand that it - along with the rest of our athletic program - could be appealing to the major programs which eventually break away from the NCAA - I agree.

But folks that would be excited if somehow our basketball program ends up back in the Big East are nuts. That would be a complete disaster in the long run.

100% agree. With the direction college athletics is going, there’s an incredibly good chance “going back to the Big East” equals “becoming totally irrelevant”.

At some point I expect the power football conferences are going to break away from the NCAA, and the basketball tournament will go bye bye. So ideally we’re part of the new structure and not stuck in a mostly irrelevant NCAA, playing basketball in a Big East nobody cares about.

I hope the Syracuse administration is playing the long game, and not looking at a UConn championship thinking that UConn took a path which will pay off in the long run. Because it won’t.

I would care about any conference or division SU is in. And so would the fans of any other school that was in it.

I would care about any conference or division SU is in. And so would the fans of any other school that was in it.

I follow UAlbany basketball. Not enough people do to justify them being on TV or getting large contracts from networks. But I still enjoy it.

If you’re cool with Syracuse basketball (and football) being a niche interest with very few people following it like most other FCS caliber programs - Syracuse going back to the Big East is a great way to get there.

It probably means the Dome become a massive white elephant and the budget for athletics becomes unworkable, so huge changes would be required for the school to adjust to that new reality. A lot of those changes would likely render nostalgia for the Big East irrelevant, because it would have no connection or similarity to the past.

Here’s a picture of strawberry blond Rick I pulled off the internet. A softer, kinder Rick lol.

Attachments

• IMG_2447.png
    IMG_2447.png
    238.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Reactions: cto

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics