Roberson's future | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Roberson's future

Why would we push Roberson out and keep Chino?

Chino isn't going to give us what Roberson did this year. I mean the fact we give Chino the credit for Chukwu only puts more on Chukwu.

He had one of the biggest plays of the game with the steal to tie it up.

That said, I agree. It's been tough the last month. My biggest issue with Tyler is when he leaves his side to try to block a shot. I like aggression, but he never gets the block, and the miss almost always gets put right back in.

Happened a bunch tonight. The worst is when he flys out, leaving the corner open. For some reason, Baye set the terrible example of having our center try to contest a three pointer, so that just leaves the middle wide open, and Tyler, or Malachai, NEVER EVER EVER get back in time to prevent the easy offensive rebound and put back.

Why would we push Roberson out and keep Chino?

Chino isn't going to give us what Roberson did this year. I mean the fact we give Chino the credit for Chukwu only puts more on Chukwu.
FTR, I'm not advocating pushing Roberson anywhere...

Here is a novel idea. Play him when he plays well and sit him when he doesn't play well... you know, like other teams handle their rosters.

Did anyone notice Dixon even changed up his starters for the second half? How many times has JB done that where it wasn't because of an injury or discipline issue.
I'll give both Dixon and JB credit.

Dixon went with his hot hands and was not afraid to bench his upperclassmen. Cameron Johnson and Luther both got big time minutes in favor of guys like Artis and Young. Dixon saw who was playing well and went with it; and what happened at the end of the game? Young, Artis and Robinson all made key plays down the stretch.

I liked the JB kept Cooney on the bench - I doubt we comeback with him in and Howard not getting on PT. It is just a little frustrating that it took JB 30 games to give Frank some serious run when Trevor was cold. I don't blame Frank for that last play, he hasn't played a meaningful minute since HS because we've had Cooney/G in all year in those spots (and rightfully so). I also liked how much he played DC -- he didn't give him much credit In the post game presser but DC was a big reason we battled on the boards so well, he missed some gimmies', but he also had some nice finishes around the rim. I Just wish we saw more of that from FH/DC a month or so ago.

Hope not. I'm sick of not even having the option of having depth.

Battle, Howard, Richardson, Lydon, Roberson, Moyer, Coleman, Chukwu...would be a nice 8 for next year.

The question is how will we trim that down to 6.5 and which excuses will be used to justify it?

With all of the front court depth issues we've had since, hell, I can't even remember, some people really don't want a senior Tyler Roberson back? I hope Moyer can come in and be like sophomore Jerami Grant, but that's probably not going to happen right away. What's our success rate with freshmen bigs?

Remember when AO went down and we played Dashonte Riley in the NCAAs?
Remember when Fab was gone and Kris Joseph had to play the 4? And a freshman Rakeem Christmas started at the 5 vs. Sullinger?
Remember when McCullough went down and the only big on the team was Rakeem?

Tyler Roberson isn't going to be Mike Beasley at Kansas State, but he's proven his competence and I hope 100% he comes back.

A player with Roberson's skill set is wasted in this system. He spends his entire time on the court running back and forth setting useless ball screens. There's no threat of him scoring there. He should be working to get position inside, make cuts or pop to the FT line occasionally, basically remaining around the paint to work the O glass. On D, he's just not a good zone defender and I don't see that changing. He just seems to lack concentration or understanding of the spacing.

He'd be much better in a more free flowing, wide open system, and probably one that involves more pressure defensively.

With all of the front court depth issues we've had since, hell, I can't even remember, some people really don't want a senior Tyler Roberson back? I hope Moyer can come in and be like sophomore Jerami Grant, but that's probably not going to happen right away. What's our success rate with freshmen bigs?

Remember when AO went down and we played Dashonte Riley in the NCAAs?
Remember when Fab was gone and Kris Joseph had to play the 4? And a freshman Rakeem Christmas started at the 5 vs. Sullinger?
Remember when McCullough went down and the only big on the team was Rakeem?

Tyler Roberson isn't going to be Mike Beasley at Kansas State, but he's proven his competence and I hope 100% he comes back.
no one is saying they don't hope he comes back. everyone hopes he comes back. realize that there are some whispers that he doesn't want to be back. that is the point, not whether we want him back or not.

You want Roberson back. No doubt. But with JB's rotation and the need to get minutes for Lydon, it will be interesting to see how things work out.

JB may want to play Howard, Battle and Malachi at the same time along with Lydon. So someone is the odd man out.

I also expect Moyer to push Roberson for time.

no one is saying they don't hope he comes back. everyone hopes he comes back. realize that there are some whispers that he doesn't want to be back. that is the point, not whether we want him back or not.
Maybe not in this thread, but there are definitely several comments in yesterday's activity from posters saying they're "50/50" if they want Roberson back, and other posters saying they want him to leave for the sole purpose of starting from scratch.

This kid should be back next year. I don't expect JB to pursue any 5th year FAs and we need depth. Roberson isn't going to be drafted and plus I would like to see the kid get a degree.

We should not run him off as it obvious Kaleb Joseph will likely be gone so the staff will have 2 scholarships open for next year. Get another guard and another big.
Agree. I want him back, inconsistencies and all.

There's never been any talk about not asking Roberson back, but there has been talk that he would leave on his own.

We could use him next year, but he won't play as many minutes as he did this year.

There's never been any talk about not asking Roberson back, but there has been talk that he would leave on his own.

We could use him next year, but he won't play as many minutes as he did this year.
What about Chino? I mean that dude has played 150 minutes in his career. Is he even a rotation guy next year?

What about Chino? I mean that dude has played 150 minutes in his career. Is he even a rotation guy next year?

He'll be here. Mainly cause he's Chukwu's boy, but he will be third on the depth chart at center behind him and DC. The frontcourt won't be an issue next year as we should have 5 guys ahead of him.

He'll be here. Mainly cause he's Chukwu's boy, but he will be third on the depth chart at center behind him and DC. The frontcourt won't be an issue next year as we should have 5 guys ahead of him.
You see him being here because he's Chukwu's boy only puts more expectations on Chukwu. I don't have high expectations for that kid as it isn't fair. However, if he is basically 2 scholarships that ups the game and means we need to see DeAndre Jordan like defense.

Roberson shouldn't be the guy we are discussing leaving the program it should be Chino. The guy is in his 3rd year and is a glorified walkon. That is the problem.

You see him being here because he's Chukwu's boy only puts more expectations on Chukwu. I don't have high expectations for that kid as it isn't fair. However, if he is basically 2 scholarships that ups the game and means we need to see DeAndre Jordan like defense.

Roberson shouldn't be the guy we are discussing leaving the program it should be Chino. The guy is in his 3rd year and is a glorified walkon. That is the problem.

Chukwu will be fine. He will be amongst the leading shot blockers in the country next year.

Thompson probably doesn't want to commit because he would be behind Lydon, Robey, Chukwu, Moyer, DC. It's going to be hard to get another frontcourt guy when we have 5 legit options. Kids don't want to sit.

Battle/Mali/Howard is a solid 3 man rotation in the backcourt. That's 8 guys we should be able to count on. There really isn't many good players left in the top 150 to go after for next year unless Hamidou Diallo reclassifies.

As Jake said on another thread, that roster should get us back to the "normal" Syracuse year with 23-25 regular season wins.

I think we will be better off focusing on locking down high upside players in 2017 like Quade Green, Diallo, Jordan Tucker... etc.

I think there is a chance Roberson leaves. I think his current progress, plus his part of the offense, plus some other non-basketball factors would lend itself to that being a possibility.

With that said, I think there is an inherent motivation and maturation during a player's final year with the program that can help push them to do better.

Chukwu will be fine. He will be amongst the leading shot blockers in the country next year.

I hope so, but I'm not getting my hopes up until I see if he will contribute. I guess being 7'3" will lead to blocks no matter what, but I want to see if he can handle 20+ minutes and not be a liability at all.

Thompson probably doesn't want to commit because he would be behind Lydon, Robey, Chukwu, Moyer, DC. It's going to be hard to get another frontcourt guy when we have 5 legit options. Kids don't want to sit.

That's probably true, but at the same time, it's probably unlikely he plays a lot anywhere he goes unless it's a desperate situation. If he can handle sitting for a year, Roberson, DC and possibly Lydon will all be gone.

Battle/Mali/Howard is a solid 3 man rotation in the backcourt. That's 8 guys we should be able to count on. There really isn't many good players left in the top 150 to go after for next year unless Hamidou Diallo reclassifies.
Will we be able to count on them, or will we have to count on them no matter what? I hope Battle is a stud, but who knows w/freshmen and Howard absolutely has to improve a great deal this summer. If the opportunity presents itself (say KJ leaves and there are options worth pursuing), I would hope we go after a grad transfer that can play 15-20 minutes or more. Battle/Mal may see PT at forward and Howard may not experience much growth. We're going to need another perimeter threat, IMO, but we know that JB probably won't want to use that much depth.

I hope so, but I'm not getting my hopes up until I see if he will contribute. I guess being 7'3" will lead to blocks no matter what, but I want to see if he can handle 20+ minutes and not be a liability at all.

That's probably true, but at the same time, it's probably unlikely he plays a lot anywhere he goes unless it's a desperate situation. If he can handle sitting for a year, Roberson, DC and possibly Lydon will all be gone.

Will we be able to count on them, or will we have to count on them no matter what? I hope Battle is a stud, but who knows w/freshmen and Howard absolutely has to improve a great deal this summer. If the opportunity presents itself (say KJ leaves and there are options worth pursuing), I would hope we go after a grad transfer that can play 15-20 minutes or more. Battle/Mal may see PT at forward and Howard may not experience much growth. We're going to need another perimeter threat, IMO, but we know that JB probably won't want to use that much depth.

Lot's in there, but I'm more concerned about the backcourt next year than I am the frontcourt.

Cusefan0307 said:
Lot's in there, but I'm more concerned about the backcourt next year than I am the frontcourt.

Next year we lack a true 3 at least in the sense of an SU 3.

Next year we lack a true 3 at least in the sense of an SU 3.

Especially on offense, I think Lydon will have to improve his handle over the summer. He'll probably be playing a lot with 2 other big guys on the court.

br801 said:
Even if he is playing his way out of JB's plans for next season, we should want Roberson back simply for the depth he would provide.

This is exactly how i feel. I want him back just to have another serviceable big, but i dont want him starting or getting big minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom