Roberson's future | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Roberson's future

Yeah, I want him back. Whether it be for depth, or whatever reason. I will never be able to figure this kid out, but you do see the skill come out at times, and maybe you strike gold. Either way, can't see a downside to him returning - I don't think there are any character issues there at all. Just seems like a very quiet, reserved kid that hasn't been able to put it together at this level.
This. We gripe all the time about depth. We need everyone who played to return. Feels like past few years we've been playing with unexpected losses. Let's see what happens when we have a full team.

Next year we lack a true 3 at least in the sense of an SU 3.
We've lacked that for a while now.

G may have been listed at 6'7", but he's a guard. We need that 6'8" kid that can do a little bit of everything. Hopefully, Lydon is that guy, but he may be more of a PF with extended range.

He'll be here. Mainly cause he's Chukwu's boy, but he will be third on the depth chart at center behind him and DC. The frontcourt won't be an issue next year as we should have 5 guys ahead of him.

Is our program in that bad of dire straights that we need to justify a wasted scholorship to give it to a guy who didn't put up great numbers or even play a lot for Providence?

Personally I think he comes here with or without Chino and I think he does well here. It's a system he would thrive in and and he's going to get a lot of pt in a program better than Providence. Chin was Bryant's "boy" too. It can be reported it was a huge factor of him coming but pt, national attention, program history, and playing for a team that has a solid chance year in and year our had a lot more to do with it than hanging out with chin for a few days.

I understand that we're trying to project realistic expectations for next year... but do we think that every team in the top 25 has a perfectly constructed team? This comment isn't directed specifically to Bees' observation -- but it's as if we're setting ourselves up for more excuses if they disappoint or underachieve again next year. The flaws that we are pointing out with personnel are found with most good teams in one form or another. For example, are we naive enough to think that every team in the top 25 has a pure point guard running the show? Do we really believe that we're the only P5 team that lacks a post presence? Only the very elite teams would appear flawless, or close to it, on paper.

It's the coaching staff job - they are paid millions - to run an offensive and defensive system that plays to the team's strengths and does its best to hide weaknesses. And that system should be tweaked year-to-year as personnel changes.

I'll give both Dixon and JB credit.

Dixon went with his hot hands and was not afraid to bench his upperclassmen. Cameron Johnson and Luther both got big time minutes in favor of guys like Artis and Young. Dixon saw who was playing well and went with it; and what happened at the end of the game? Young, Artis and Robinson all made key plays down the stretch.

I liked the JB kept Cooney on the bench - I doubt we comeback with him in and Howard not getting on PT. It is just a little frustrating that it took JB 30 games to give Frank some serious run when Trevor was cold. I don't blame Frank for that last play, he hasn't played a meaningful minute since HS because we've had Cooney/G in all year in those spots (and rightfully so). I also liked how much he played DC -- he didn't give him much credit In the post game presser but DC was a big reason we battled on the boards so well, he missed some gimmies', but he also had some nice finishes around the rim. I Just wish we saw more of that from FH/DC a month or so ago.
Dixon made a mistake though. He should have put his starting center back in when Coleman started pushing Luther around. Announcers pointed out that DC felt he could have his way with Luther.

I would ask Roberson to have a long talk with Rakeem Christmas about how to spend the summer before his senior year.

I don't believe Rak's challenges and Roberson's challenges necessarily match up, but I get what you are saying.

Is our program in that bad of dire straights that we need to justify a wasted scholorship to give it to a guy who didn't put up great numbers or even play a lot for Providence?

Personally I think he comes here with or without Chino and I think he does well here. It's a system he would thrive in and and he's going to get a lot of pt in a program better than Providence. Chin was Bryant's "boy" too. It can be reported it was a huge factor of him coming but pt, national attention, program history, and playing for a team that has a solid chance year in and year our had a lot more to do with it than hanging out with chin for a few days.

Understand how you feel on Chino, I just believe the staff doesn't think the same way.

Understand how you feel on Chino, I just believe the staff doesn't think the same way.

I don't understand the discussion around Roberson or Chino. Do we have someone lined up to take a scholarship that we don't have to offer. If not, Chino is absolutely back. He is a four year program participant. Some of you guys are talking like you'd run him off just to have an extra seat on the bench. If we were talking about him as incoming frosh or even a sophomore it might be a different conversation, but at this point tell me specifically what you are doing with his scholarship and how it will make next year's team better or get comfortable with him being back for his senior year to give us an additional practice big and emergency depth at center.

As far as Roberson goes; What with questions about whether we want him back. This is just stupid talk. Of course we want him back. It doesn't mean he has to start or get starter's minutes, but he has valuable skills and if he doesn't continue his development over the offseason at a minimum he will provide front court depth. You can be frustrated with his development and frustrated with his effort, but argue he should sit on the bench not be run out of the program.

I don't understand the discussion around Roberson or Chino. Do we have someone lined up to take a scholarship that we don't have to offer. If not, Chino is absolutely back. He is a four year program participant. Some of you guys are talking like you'd run him off just to have an extra seat on the bench. If we were talking about him as incoming frosh or even a sophomore it might be a different conversation, but at this point tell me specifically what you are doing with his scholarship and how it will make next year's team better or get comfortable with him being back for his senior year to give us an additional practice big and emergency depth at center.

As far as Roberson goes; What with questions about whether we want him back. This is just stupid talk. Of course we want him back. It doesn't mean he has to start or get starter's minutes, but he has valuable skills and if he doesn't continue his development over the offseason at a minimum he will provide front court depth. You can be frustrated with his development and frustrated with his effort, but argue he should sit on the bench not be run out of the program.
Chino has played 150 minutes in 3 years and unless he can be rotation player next year shouldn't be using a scholarship when we are restricted to only 11 scholarship.
If JB were smart he would be going after a wing 5th year rental guy. We need more options. Right now Chino is a glorified walkon if we had 13 scholarships that wouldn't be a problem but look at our team this year. We had no depth in the middle and Chino wasn't even close to the rotation and he is a Junior. How can you keep him if he isn't close to the rotation when we have only 11 scholarships.

This times a million! We just got torched by 2 guys that were 7th and 10th on their team in minutes and some people are looking to boot guys with multiple years experience when for the 1st time in forever we might actually be able to play 8 or 9 guys and not have everyone fall apart at the end of each half from playing 18-20 mins.

Was just staring at his numbers and one thing really stood out. How do you go from 68% at the line as a frosh, to 64% as a soph to 54% as a jr. Freshman year can be thrown out due to the sample size and all, but was pretty close to the soph number, so how the heck do you get that much worse instead of improving?

I agree. Our best offenses have depended on a 6'8" slashing high energy lengthy scoring 3 who has a decent outside shot.

Roberson is a bundle of Ifs:

• If he stops listening to family/friends/hangers-on that he is NBA-ready, and decides to work, he can be an asset
  • If he listens to opinions in the NBA camp, and takes their advice to heart, he can be an asset.
  • If he decides to work (in practice and in the games), he can be an asset.

Unfortunately, I have seen nothing other than his sophomore year that gives me hope any of these things will happen. Which is sad. I don't see him in the NBA, but if he works, he can parlay his senior season into a lucrative career overseas.

If you look at Roberson's and Coleman's play, you could see Roberson regressing and Coleman making slow progress. I thought Coleman actually played a solid game for us against Pitt. A double double with extended minutes is encouraging.

Agree with this. I wouldn't be surprised if DC is more effective than Roberson next year.

Roberson is a bundle of Ifs:

• If he stops listening to family/friends/hangers-on that he is NBA-ready, and decides to work, he can be an asset
  • If he listens to opinions in the NBA camp, and takes their advice to heart, he can be an asset.
  • If he decides to work (in practice and in the games), he can be an asset.

Unfortunately, I have seen nothing other than his sophomore year that gives me hope any of these things will happen. Which is sad. I don't see him in the NBA, but if he works, he can parlay his senior season into a lucrative career overseas.

Has there been chatter that Roberson is lazy? You seem to strongly imply that is the case.

Has there been chatter that Roberson is lazy? You seem to strongly imply that is the case.
I don't know. All I know is what I see - other than a game or two this year, he looks lost. Rebounding is all about effort. I haven't seen a lot of rebounds. I could be totally wrong.

Roberson is the most athletic guy on the team. I just have a gut feeling he doesn't like to work at his game on his own and thinks he's better than he is cause of how athletic he is.

Agree with this. I wouldn't be surprised if DC is more effective than Roberson next year.

ok. sure. all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding. it's your opinion run with it.

ok. sure. all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding. it's your opinion run with it.

I think DC will outwork Roberson, so he's got that going for him.

that's your opinion fine. facts are tyler roberson has been proven a top ten rebounder in a major conference. twice.
coleman has great size but has to find a way to stay on the court 30 minutes every night to get those numbers.
lastly whatever "medicine" JB thought he was laying on TR clearly didn't take. there are fences to mend imo.

Last edited:
The evidence doesn't really indicate what you believe. While they play different positions and are physically very different players, their production in term of points and rebounds per 40 minutes this season is nearly identical. I would venture to say that if Coleman's productivity takes a step forward next season (not an unreasonable assumption) he could eclipse Roberson.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2016.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom