Roberson's projected career... | Syracusefan.com

Roberson's projected career...

His defensive positioning has improved a lot. He is definitely starting to grasp the zone. He will be another guy who you see really improve and have a breakout sophomore year. It was nice to see him get some minutes when the game was close and look comfortable out there.

Really like Roberson. Think he has a lot of potential.

Also like what I have seen from Patterson. Think down the road he could be a very valuable player.

Johnson's really the only guy I haven't seen a whole lot from. Think he probably could have used this year to redshirt.

One of the things I pointed out in chat last night was he defense, he was moving great, was coming out in shooters, was roaring back to get someone who was slipping towards the basket.

One of the things I have a tendency to do during the games is just was watch the defense for while and pick a player and see how they move in the zone.

One of the things I pointed out in chat last night was he defense, he was moving great, was coming out in shooters, was roaring back to get someone who was slipping towards the basket.

One of the things I have a tendency to do during the games is just was watch the defense for while and pick a player and see how they move in the zone.

Roberson was all over the place. He knows what JB wants, and is earning time on the court with hustle.

Roberson was all over the place. He knows what JB wants, and is earning time on the court with hustle.

I recall he was upset with playing time a while back. I would bet JB explained to him exactly how to get more playing time. I think its a great sign that he seemingly took it to heart and has looked better and more active on D every game since while also moving the ball on offense and only taking good unrushed shots or drives.

I seem to be the only one but I'm really not wild about Patterson's game. And before you say it, I know, I know ...we've only seen a very small window into his playing ability and he's only a freshmen after all but when I watch him play, I get visions of Louie McCroskey and it freezes me to my core.

I think offensively Roberson can be as good as Fair someday. But, Roberson will be a better rebounder than CJ and thats no knock on CJ. You can tell with his long arms he's already a good rebounder. I watch him too as I think he is a subtle key to this season. With the 3 C's, CJ and Jerami we can lose any of them and Roberson would step in adequately or better. If he was needed to be I think he could be better than Jerami was as a freshman. I can easily see him working his role to 15 minutes per game with 6 pts 5 rebs. He can just see he's becoming more comfortable and aggresive offensively and is ready to breakout. Defensively he's working hard and looks like a typical SU forward.

And I don't worry about Johnson and Patterson. Neither of them really have a defined role and likely won't this season. I like the athleticsm they each show.

So if Grant leaves early, does Roberson start at SF or does McCullough start from day 1? Of course, both could start and Rak moves to the starting Center position. But it seems JB likes Coleman and Rak as the starters. Will be interesting to see. Both Roberson and McCullough were listed as Power Forwards in High School.

I seem to be the only one but I'm really not wild about Patterson's game. And before you say it, I know, I know ...we've only seen a very small window into his playing ability and he's only a freshmen after all but when I watch him play, I get visions of Louie McCroskey and it freezes me to my core.

This thread is about Roberson the forward not Patterson the guard. Although you may know that an just decided to add Patterson into this thread which is totally fine.

Patterson does like to shoot no doubt but he works hard on D and I don't think we are bringing in guys like McCroskey who could be lockerroom problems anymore.

So if Grant leaves early, does Roberson start at SF or does McCullough start from day 1? Of course, both could start and Rak moves to the starting Center position. But it seems JB likes Coleman and Rak as the starters. Will be interesting to see. Both Roberson and McCullough were listed as Power Forwards in High School.
Roberson has the look of a SF (doesn't matter how he was listed as a recruit) and a good one. McCullough takes Grant's role if Grant leaves (possible of course, but not a lock).
Who starts? That depends on whether JB wants to continue the cameo with Coleman and how good McCullough is on day 1.

Roberson has the look of a SF (doesn't matter how he was listed as a recruit) and a good one. McCullough takes Grant's role if Grant leaves (possible of course, but not a lock).
Who starts? That depends on whether JB wants to continue the cameo with Coleman and how good McCullough is on day 1.

Plus there will be no Baye next season so depending on weather Obokoh will be in the regular rotation or not JB may not want to start both his centers. If Grant is back I'd suspect that we start two forwards and one big no idea weather the other forward is Chris or Tyler could see either. If Grant is gone its more likely we start 2 bigs because we would really have only one experienced forward coming back in Tyler.

Plus there will be no Baye next season so depending on weather Obokoh will be in the regular rotation or not JB may not want to start both his centers. If Grant is back I'd suspect that we start two forwards and one big no idea weather the other forward is Chris or Tyler could see either. If Grant is gone its more likely we start 2 bigs because we would really have only one experienced forward coming back in Tyler.
So -- this is a long way off, with lots of variables -- player development and JB's recent cameo approach to who starts.
JB did start AO and Rick Jackson (both his centers), then split them in rotation for the rest of the halves.
We need the SF to be able to handle and play the perimeter. Looks like Roberson could do that next year. Haven't seen McCullough except in brief highlights -- does he have the skill to be our SF?

So -- this is a long way off, with lots of variables -- player development and JB's recent cameo approach to who starts.
JB did start AO and Rick Jackson (both his centers), then split them in rotation for the rest of the halves.
We need the SF to be able to handle and play the perimeter. Looks like Roberson could do that next year. Haven't seen McCullough except in brief highlights -- does he have the skill to be our SF?

From what I have seen McCullough is not a 3. He has very good ball skills but is a 4 who can stretch you more than a 3. A very good 1 and 2 dribble driver but I haven't seen tons of him and this last season from what I've seen and read he has spent more time inside than ever before. He has a great frame with legit height, long arms and pretty good athletic ability but its really the smooth coordination that to me sets him apart. He moves like a stud big guy. We could get away with any combination of the 3 forwards IMO though but I do think of the 3 Roberson is more a 3 than the other two are. Good point about the Rick/Arinze teams and them starting and both being the centers. I could see us doing that if Grant goes but if he's back we will have 3 stud forwards and BJ who if we need shooting could provide it next year so I don't think we start two bigs in that situation. Again like you said far away and all speculation but its fun.

Next year, I see Roberson continuing to come off of the bench, because I can't see any scenario in which JB pulls Rak from the starting five for his senior season, and I find it hard to believe McCullough won't start at the four. Now the question would really be whether Roberson can develop into a small forward heading into next year? If not, and if Grant does go pro, I'm kind of expecting to see Gbinije slide over and play the 3 spot, unless BJ makes a big leap between this year and next year. Assuming Grant leaves, my projected rotation, based solely on what I've seen this year in terms of skill sets and what I'm expecting from McCullough:

PG - Ennis
SG - Cooney
SF - Gbinije
PF - McCullough
C - Christmas

6th - Roberson
7th - Buss
8th - Coleman
9th - BJ
10th - Joseph
11th - Chino

I don't want to contribute to the hijack of this thread, but McCroskey and Patterson are completely different players, with completely different talent. Patterson = >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than McCroskey.

if we lose Grant and Ennis I think Roberson will be our best player next year

if we lose Grant and Ennis I think Roberson will be our best player
I can see why you'd say that.

But I really feel like, with more minutes, Gbinije could be damn special.

A defense with Cooney, Gbinije, Roberson, McCullough and Christmas would be saucy.

I really think if Boeheim needed Gbinije to be a scorer, he could do it.

I can see why you'd say that.

But I really feel like, with more minutes, Gbinije could be damn special.

A defense with Cooney, Gbinije, Roberson, McCullough and Christmas would be saucy.

I really think if Boeheim needed Gbinije to be a scorer, he could do it.

getting the ball up the court would saucy as well

I see similarities to CJ, will his career production exceed CJ's? I'd be happy if he gets close. Seems to do a lot of things well.

Best case for Roberson, imo, is he becomes a hybrid of CJ and Grant. He has better raw athleticism than CJ and looks to have better initial skills than Grant. I can see why some people project(ed) him to be getting more minutes and eventually be a high draft pick. He sure looks like he has a nice blend of size, skill and athleticism. He just needs to put it all together.

I think he makes a big leap next year and if he stays for his junior year, I think you are looking at an All-ACC type player with possible ACC POY potential, if not higher.

I once started a thread comparing his offensive game to DeShaun Williams (specifically giving a disclaimer that it was strictly style of play and not character), and based on the reaction you would have thought I said he was behind the planning of 9/11.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom