Rocky Long | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Rocky Long

Being a giants fan, please let this happen. I need one of my football teams to do something positive and surprising with a coaching hire.

well the giants did ok. a little risky maybe but a bright young mind with a great pedigree having coached under bellichek and saban.

well the giants did ok. a little risky maybe but a bright young mind with a great pedigree having coached under bellichek and saban.

Anyone is better than Jason Garrett. I wanted McCarthy, then Rhule, but happy to get Judge over Garrett.

Belicheck loves Joe Judge and knew he was HC material early on, so he took him under his wing about building a culture and program the right way.

Anyone is better than Jason Garrett. I wanted McCarthy, then Rhule, but happy to get Judge over Garrett.

Belicheck loves Joe Judge and knew he was HC material early on, so he took him under his wing about building a culture and program the right way.

the garrett stuff was bs. probably came from his agent.

Is it possible we decided to look at Long in case Rhule left Baylor and Dino was a candidate. Does 2 things here. Shows a commitment to go after top assistant coaches to hopefully help win and keep Dino here or possibly his replacement if he did leave for Baylor.

Is it possible we decided to look at Long in case Rhule left Baylor and Dino was a candidate. Does 2 things here. Shows a commitment to go after top assistant coaches to hopefully help win and keep Dino here or possibly his replacement if he did leave for Baylor.
No
Dino doesn't have real ties in Texas, why the hell would he want to end up in Waco???

No
Dino doesn't have real ties in Texas, why the hell would he want to end up in Waco???
And looking at it from Baylor's perspective: Rhule was very successful running his own offense rather than Briles' version. With that in mind, why on earth would they even consider HCDB?

Long is looking to get out of the responsibility of being a HC, that’s why he’s looking at coordinator jobs. That’s been stated over and over.

garrett is interviewing for giants offensive coordinator job

Good lord. If Dino hired Belichick many of you would still whine and complain. It's ridiculous. never built a program, blah blah blah. Waited to long, blah blah. It so weird that many that have been here forever all know that much of the hiring gets done at the convention or right after yet they still whine and complain about Dino. Man was a genius 6 months ago to many of the same people who now think he cant tie his shoes at this point. Just ridiculous
I would complain, dude is a cheater.

Edit- I changed my mind, he would be a great hire as long as he had a full film crew, practice passes for every future opponent and some partially deflated footballs.

Last edited:
well, it's the afternoon...
SD U-T article late yesterday stated that Long was slated to have his first staff meeting of 2020 on Wednesday.
I don't know if he's going to take a job at Syracuse (or anywhere else), but if he was going to leave SDSU, this might be the group of people/assistant coaches he'd inform "first" (after the AD).

That said, I hope to read a R.Long-to-SU tweet when I grab my phone in two minutes.

Last edited:
Sorry if already posted: Read the first paragraph of this Kirk Kenney piece from October 2018, as Long coached his 100th game at San Diego State.

Interesting. The article also says that Long left his position as the head coach at New Mexico (after 11 seasons), to become the defensive co-ordinator at San Diego State.

Don't think cost of living is factoring into his decision much if this is an actual decision. Not a lot of lifelong west coast millionaires moving to a wintery climate to save a couple bucks in their 70s. If this is happening than he will be paid what a quality P5 DC gets paid these days, somewhere in the 600-750k range.

over/under second national signing day when we hire a DC?

that's the site I used too.
Perhaps naive, but I think this a lot LESS to do with money than most similar scenarios. If this guy was driven by cash, he’d have never left New Mexico as HC years ago. Right?

Don't think cost of living is factoring into his decision much if this is an actual decision. Not a lot of lifelong west coast millionaires moving to a wintery climate to save a couple bucks in their 70s.

it very well could be a factor. especially if he's looking for a place that will pay comparable to what he was making at SDSU. COL is very much a factor in a lot of businesses when people make career choices.

Perhaps naive, but I think this a lot LESS to do with money than most similar scenarios. If this guy was driven by cash, he’d have never left New Mexico as HC years ago. Right?

nobody said he is driven by cash. for those asking why he would take such a pay cut, he really wouldn't be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom