Ron Thompson enters NFL Draft | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Ron Thompson enters NFL Draft

I agree especially if we can get a winning team on the field immediate Draft stock improvement. Plus with the new pace of play there are going to be a ton more stats available more possesions means more tackles and sacks. Id Take out an insurance policy ( which the school could pay for based on TAMU precedent right?) And try to raise my stock with one more year its hard to stick on an NFL team as a lower round pick.

I hope you change your mind Ron but if you don't go kill it at the Combine and make us proud.
Too late, he's already signed with an agent.

I just hope he gets drafted. I don't care he left early as kids should go if they can get paid. I just don't want to see the kid go undrafted and with a tough battle as a UFA.
He was good for us but not great. Who know it could have been coaching/scheme. I just want the kid to get drafted I hope his tape is good enough to get picked late. He should get invited to the combine hopefully.

I think you're missing the point that he hasn't done enough in college to make a team believe he is talented enough to be a 1-3 round pick. Many here (including me) believe he hasn't shown enough and would benefit by coming back next year and prove that he has that talent. But, it's his choice and I wish him well.
I'm not missing any point. I'm saying there are probably teams that like him. The board is getting hung up on where he does or doesn't get picked. I'm hung up on the fact that he's spent 4 years here, already suffered a major injury in his career, and has a choice between making money playing football next year or not making money playing football next year.

Fans (I'm not necessarily lumping you in to the following statement) are so two faced about this. We love to talk about how unprepared a guy is for the next level, while trying to skirt around the reality of how much it hurts our team if they leave. That's what we're really worried about in most cases, but we cover it up with semi-rational explanations about why they should stay so we can ignore our own self-interest. We also sweep under the rug how dangerous football is and how short these guys careers are and pretend that if somehow a guy stays in college as long as possible that actually prolongs his career, when the right way to look at it is that the body probably only has a finite number of years in the sport whether the player is getting paid or not. If people want to make the "life beyond football" argument that's fine - in this case we're talking about a guy that spent 4 years here that's got to be knocking on the door of graduation at worst, so he's very likely fulfilled his academic commitment and set himself up for a career outside of football as well as any other student.

It is always a right decision for an athlete to get paid. The NCAA has chosen for it to be that way.

I think this board is being a bit too hard on Ron. Comparing Thompson to Freeney or Jones isn't fair to Ron, because he is a completely different player. Those two (especially Freeney) had elite pash rushing skills and potential. They were drafted to fill those roles.

While Thompson has show some ability to rush the passer, he also defends against the run better than those two at this point in their respective careers. He is probably viewed as a rotational DL player right now. A solid depth guy with some upside and versatility on the line. Thompson is a legit 6'3" and should measure as such, and has the frame to easily add another 25-30 pounds.

Ron also has some great tape against elite competition. He put LSU's Vadal Alexander on roller skates, and Alexander is probably a late 1st round pick at OG right now. He also abused Clemson golden boy Mitch Hyatt on several occasions. So much so they had to double him on most passing situations.

There's no guarantee Ron makes it, but I really wouldn't say he made a bad choice. He probably wasn't going to play himself into the top 2 rounds next year anyway. Why risk the injury, IMO, he is going to graduate with his degree this year anyway. I can see how this stinks from a fan perspective, but it may very well be the right move for him.

I'm suddenly wondering if one of our other incoming FR, one who was recruited to play MLB, might get a look at being an edge rusher to start his career. Kenneth Ruff is about 6-2, 240 after all...compared to 6-4, 215 for Holloway, who is in fact a DE. I hope not...but unless we can land another DE or two (which I presume we will) we're just so dangerously thin at the position.

Yes, we have both Kenny Carter and Jake Pickard on the roster who both redshirted last year and have not played a down. And the Sheppard and Ealey who are both suspended for the first 3 games.

And currently Jamal Holloway committed who needs a redshirt year worse than Carter and Pickard did. He's light.

Scanning the roster, I don't really see anyone else that could potentially be switched considering the depth at those other positions (DT, TE, LB). the size of the players at those positions and the current recruiting class.

We need bare minimum 2 additional guys capable of being on the 2 deep next year. And I don't think Holloway or the kid previously committed to BG are physically capable of that.

Wondering if P.J. Batten might move back to defense. I think he was an all state linebacker in HS and has added a few pounds. Roster has him up to 234. Slayton might have enough quicks to slide outside. Traditional path of growing from OLB to DE doesn't look like an option though. Not enough size there.

I'm not missing any point. I'm saying there are probably teams that like him. The board is getting hung up on where he does or doesn't get picked. I'm hung up on the fact that he's spent 4 years here, already suffered a major injury in his career, and has a choice between making money playing football next year or not making money playing football next year.

Fans (I'm not necessarily lumping you in to the following statement) are so two faced about this. We love to talk about how unprepared a guy is for the next level, while trying to skirt around the reality of how much it hurts our team if they leave. That's what we're really worried about in most cases, but we cover it up with semi-rational explanations about why they should stay so we can ignore our own self-interest. We also sweep under the rug how dangerous football is and how short these guys careers are and pretend that if somehow a guy stays in college as long as possible that actually prolongs his career, when the right way to look at it is that the body probably only has a finite number of years in the sport whether the player is getting paid or not. If people want to make the "life beyond football" argument that's fine - in this case we're talking about a guy that spent 4 years here that's got to be knocking on the door of graduation at worst, so he's very likely fulfilled his academic commitment and set himself up for a career outside of football as well as any other student.

It is always a right decision for an athlete to get paid. The NCAA has chosen for it to be that way.

You're right in that many fans think selfishly about players sticking around for another year. But, there is often an intersection between fan's wishes for the team and what's best for the player long-term. If, we as fans, think that a player is on the cusp of something really good, that both he and the team would be much better off for staying. You also need to keep in mind that most players that play meaningful minutes for SU help the team even though they have no professional futures, so a guy can be not fully ready for the NFL and still help SU be a better team.

"It is always a right decision for an athlete to get paid" is no more true than for a business major (substitute any major you want) to leave college a year early because he was offered a job as a store manager where he can make money right away. Sometimes, that extra year can make a huge difference in future earnings. I concede that the injury risk is greater for a football player, but the first-year salary upside is probably a lot higher too. Surely, the decision is his to make and the potential for injury will always be there, whether it is at SU or on the practice squad somewhere. Is he better off making $30k on a practice squad vs potentially earning much more in a year as a 1-2 round pick? Presumably, and hopefully for him, he has objectively weighed the risk-reward and has made the decision that is best for him, not for someone else.
It's rarely cut-and-dried in either direction.

Wondering if P.J. Batten might move back to defense. I think he was an all state linebacker in HS and has added a few pounds. Roster has him up to 234. Slayton might have enough quicks to slide outside. Traditional path of growing from OLB to DE doesn't look like an option though. Not enough size there.
I honestly completely forgot Batten was still here.

You're right in that many fans think selfishly about players sticking around for another year. But, there is often an intersection between fan's wishes for the team and what's best for the player long-term. If, we as fans, think that a player is on the cusp of something really good, that both he and the team would be much better off for staying. You also need to keep in mind that most players that play meaningful minutes for SU help the team even though they have no professional futures, so a guy can be not fully ready for the NFL and still help SU be a better team.

"It is always a right decision for an athlete to get paid" is no more true than for a business major (substitute any major you want) to leave college a year early because he was offered a job as a store manager where he can make money right away. Sometimes, that extra year can make a huge difference in future earnings. I concede that the injury risk is greater for a football player, but the first-year salary upside is probably a lot higher too. Surely, the decision is his to make and the potential for injury will always be there, whether it is at SU or on the practice squad somewhere. Is he better off making $30k on a practice squad vs potentially earning much more in a year as a 1-2 round pick? Presumably, and hopefully for him, he has objectively weighed the risk-reward and has made the decision that is best for him, not for someone else.
It's rarely cut-and-dried in either direction.
Nobody is making money off that business major. That matters.

I don't recall calling anyone any names but whatever, when you don't have a valid point I guess you start calling people names. If doing a backflip is the criteria for being insanely athletic then I guess those standards are pretty low.

Being athletic and making it in the NFL are 2 different things. Dorian Graham was in the top 5 "Athletic Freaks" in College Football with a laser timed 4.3 40 yard dash...where is he now, yep nowhere. Same with thousands of others.

I will not give credit where it is not due, below is the list of SU top 10 sack leaders and RT would actually end up around 40th with 12. Doesn't seem his insane athleticism translates to the football field. A lot of insanely athletic kids on this list, most with way better on field stats that still did not translate to the NFL.
View attachment 54532

Maybe he can backflip his way to some QB sacks and should have done so for the past 3 years.

Shmuck.
Duke Pettijohn was one of my favorite players. Way under appreciated in our history I think.

He is very similar to Chandler Jones...im not sure why soo many people don't think he has a chance.

Thompson isn't in the same stratosphere as Chandler. He has a glaring weakness when run at, statistically can't compare, and Chandler is a much longer and dynamic player at 6'5",270# with long arms and a proven motor. Thompson is not much more than an athlete with upside at this point.

Man, this thread is awfully negative. Lots of people crapping all over a player who usually say such a tone is to be avoided at all costs. Sure hope recruits and their parents don't read it.

:):):)

Nobody is making money off that business major. That matters.
I don't follow your point. Are you trying to say the agent is making money off of Thompson and therefore has his best interests at heart? :crazy:Or that SU is making money off of Thompson? If the latter, I'm not sure what that has to do with Thompson's future earnings.:noidea:

Thompson isn't in the same stratosphere as Chandler. He has a glaring weakness when run at, statistically can't compare, and Chandler is a much longer and dynamic player at 6'5",270# with long arms and a proven motor. Thompson is not much more than an athlete with upside at this point.
This isn't really fair to say, imo. Thompson is a nice football player. If I'm an NFL GM, however, I'm concerned about if he can become more consistent. Hence, why I think an extra year would be beneficial. The wildcard here for RT is what will his opportunities look like with a whole new defensive scheme? Will he get the opportunity to showcase his individual talents in a new system or will it be more stifling? That could be a factor in his decision.

I don't question his talent or heart; he's qualified to be a solid DE in the NFL.
It seems like he's a little injury-prone, though. Another year of wear and tear in college isn't going to help him.
He needs to grab this opportunity.

I don't follow your point. Are you trying to say the agent is making money off of Thompson and therefore has his best interests at heart? :crazy:Or that SU is making money off of Thompson? If the latter, I'm not sure what that has to do with Thompson's future earnings.:noidea:
I'm saying that the system is set up such that players sacrifice their bodies and well being playing an extremely violent game while others profit from them, and the only way for the player to get (what I believe is rightfully) their own is to leave that system. It's zero sum - somebody's getting money for football, but if you're in college, it's not you. Nobody's exploiting Stanley the business major like that, and Stanley can work in his field until he retires in his 60s or 70s. In football if a guy is still playing in his 30s he's a huge success. So why on earth should that player shorten his career? A good reason might be because he thinks he can improve his draft position and make more money in the long run, but that's no guarantee and I can't fault anyone for saying it's too great a risk, especially when they've already given a school four years.

I really think the casual fun underestimates the absolute beating these guys take, to say nothing of the time commitment for study, strength and conditioning. But hey, they get a scholarship, so it all balances out.Oh Lord

College athletics is a sham and they should get out as quickly as they can if paying for play is at all a realistic possibility.

Ron Thompson is an absolutel Draft Pick. He was as disruptive a player weve had in a long time. A different type of disruptive then Chandler Jones, who you could tell physically with his length would be an NFL plalyer. Thompson is not nearly as long, but he makes plays and he has a knack for getting to the quaterback. I suspect he is drafted and gets himself a pay day.

Have we ever had a kid leave early, football or basketball, where people thought it was a dumb move and they should stay? I think most are being selfish and want the talent on the team. Let the kids make their own decision, right or wrong.

Why does every issue have to be black or white at this point? There's no middle ground anymore in these arguments.

Wait until the draft, see where he goes, and then you can get mad he left early if he's undrafted. I'd venture a guess that no one here is an NFL s c o ut (although I trust CIL on this issue). It's good for the program if he gets drafted. If not, he has a college degree and can start his life.

Good luck to him and I hope his name gets called in April.

Any shot Slayton can switch over??

I would never fault a kid for leaving early when he is looking at a payday. I do think it is foolish to leave when there are question marks and you have a chance at crapping out come draft time. If you have a year you come back and improve your game and your body, if you are not assured a sure fire spot. I don't think Thompson is assured anything. He could easily go undrafted.

I would never fault a kid for leaving early when he is looking at a payday. I do think it is foolish to leave when there are question marks and you have a chance at crapping out come draft time. If you have a year you come back and improve your game and your body, if you are not assured a sure fire spot. I don't think Thompson is assured anything. He could easily go undrafted.
I think if a guy has been here for four years we shouldn't call it leaving early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom