Ron Thompson enters NFL Draft | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Ron Thompson enters NFL Draft

At this point I don't why people even come up with arguments for why kids should stay. None of them matter.

Please don't express any shock or surprise, especially for a kid who has been here four years. And don't denigrate him by saying won't be drafted, etc. I think we all knew this kid was going to be playing on Sundays from the day he showed up.

Imo, Ron is like a football version of CJ Fair. No benefit to be had for returning for his senior season, at least regarding his draft status. Difference is NFL has quite a few more rounds than the NBA, so hopefully Ron does get drafted.

so what did he say at 6pm last night?
http://cnycentral.com/sports/college/ron-thompson-on-why-now-was-the-time-to-leave-syracuse-football

Friday, December 25th, 2015 — On Wednesday night, Syracuse football lost perhaps its most dynamic defensive performer of the 2015 season.

Ron Thompson, a third-team All-ACC selection with seven sacks at defensive end, declared for the 2016 NFL Draft. ESPN's Joe Scad broke the news last Wednesday and Thompson subsequently confirmed his intent to enter the draft via his personal Twitter account.

Thompson, a redshirt junior with a year left of eligibility, decided the time was right to take his talent to a higher level.

"It feels pretty good, but I don't really do this for myself I do this for my family," Thompson said. "To see my family all proud and see everyone I really love."

The news of Thompson leaving Syracuse comes just weeks after the Orange hired Dino Babers as its new head coach.

"Dino Babers, I hear he's a good guy but I just felt that there was too many changes being made," added Thompson. "And if I was going to stick around to learn something totally different I might as well do it at the next level."

A fast pass rusher, Thompson recorded 20 tackles for a loss in his Orange career and even led the ACC Conference with four forced fumbles in 2015. Thompson is hoping to become the first Syracuse football player drafted in two years.

The 2016 NFL Draft will be April 28th through the 30th in Chicago and will air on ESPN and the NFL Network.

This thread really highlights the talent level, or lack thereof, in the program. We're debating whether our best defensive player is even going to get drafted. Plus this little goodie:

"Thompson is hoping to become the first Syracuse football player drafted in two years."

This thread really highlights the talent level, or lack thereof, in the program. We're debating whether our best defensive player is even going to get drafted. Plus this little goodie:

"Thompson is hoping to become the first Syracuse football player drafted in two years."

Makes me feel much better when I look at players like Franklin, Cordy, Whitner and Slayton.

CuseLegacy said:
http://cnycentral.com/sports/college/ron-thompson-on-why-now-was-the-time-to-leave-syracuse-football Friday, December 25th, 2015 — On Wednesday night, Syracuse football lost perhaps its most dynamic defensive performer of the 2015 season. Ron Thompson, a third-team All-ACC selection with seven sacks at defensive end, declared for the 2016 NFL Draft. ESPN's Joe Scad broke the news last Wednesday and Thompson subsequently confirmed his intent to enter the draft via his personal Twitter account. Thompson, a redshirt junior with a year left of eligibility, decided the time was right to take his talent to a higher level. "It feels pretty good, but I don't really do this for myself I do this for my family," Thompson said. "To see my family all proud and see everyone I really love." The news of Thompson leaving Syracuse comes just weeks after the Orange hired Dino Babers as its new head coach. "Dino Babers, I hear he's a good guy but I just felt that there was too many changes being made," added Thompson. "And if I was going to stick around to learn something totally different I might as well do it at the next level." A fast pass rusher, Thompson recorded 20 tackles for a loss in his Orange career and even led the ACC Conference with four forced fumbles in 2015. Thompson is hoping to become the first Syracuse football player drafted in two years. The 2016 NFL Draft will be April 28th through the 30th in Chicago and will air on ESPN and the NFL Network.

From those quotes I don't think he's getting good advice, but best of luck to him.

Kid has his degree.

Kid's turning 23.

Has potential to be drafted in the middle rounds.

Kid has had numerous injuries.

And, to my understanding, this isn't news. This was decided some time ago.

Good for Ron and good luck.

well he did make all ACC third team. so there's probably only 30-50 better draft prospects at his position. GOOD LUCK!

MikeSU02 said:
Kid has his degree. Kid's turning 23. Has potential to be drafted in the middle rounds. Kid has had numerous injuries. And, to my understanding, this isn't news. This was decided some time ago. Good for Ron and good luck.

I wish the guy well and hope he gets drafted but he doesn't have a snowballs shot in hell of being drafted in the middle rounds. I'd bet the Farm on that one.

So will Thompson get a call before the 253rd draft pick today?

He is ranked #219 on NFLDraftScout (CBS), but only #349 on NFL.com.

Here's what NFL.com's Lance Zierlein had to say about him...

upload_2016-4-30_8-1-32.png

orangenirvana said:
So will Thompson get a call before the 253rd draft pick today? He is ranked #219 on NFLDraftScout (CBS), but only #349 on NFL.com. Here's what NFL.com's Lance Zierlein had to say about him...

Always thought Thompson had great speed and athleticism.

Kinda surprised to hear those are his weaknesses. If so, this NFL venture might not last long.

I could see him going in the 7th round. Issue is in Rd 7 you would rather almost NOT be drafted. Then he can pick his spot and find a team that needs his skill set to get himself in the best situation possible.

If Thompson is going that low, it seems to me that his jumping to the pros a year early was a mistake. He could have had a big year next year at SU and another year to get bigger and maybe faster, too.

SWC75 said:
If Thompson is going that low, it seems to me that his jumping to the pros a year early was a mistake. He could have had a big year next year at SU and another year to get bigger and maybe faster, too.

He was quoted as not wanting to go through another coaching change and that his family was his priority. Not sure we can judge all that.

He was quoted as not wanting to go through another coaching change and that his family was his priority. Not sure we can judge all that.

Yeah, because playing (maybe) for a Pro team won't have any coaching changes either. :confused:

Yeah, because playing (maybe) for a Pro team won't have any coaching changes either. :confused:
It's not the coaching change per se. It was a change in scheme that may or may not showcase his talent. He didn't want to take that chance.

if he has his degree then staying was only to get a jump an a masters if thats what he wanted to do or to improve his stock for next year. 6-7-8 round is marginal to make a team but its worth a shot to him.

Seems like football is the same as basketball. The fans know what's best for each kid although they have probably 10% of the info at best.

I think we all have enough info to know that being drafted as low as the 7th round is not what you jump from college for.

I think we all have enough info to know that being drafted as low as the 7th round is not what you jump from college for.

He's close to his degree and didn't want to play for free for a new coach.
What's the question here?

SWC75 said:

He may not share that opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom