Ron Thompson enters NFL Draft | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Ron Thompson enters NFL Draft

Pete Carroll will find him. Seattle is made up of guys like Ron.
Hopefully Pete Carroll can motivate Ron to actually get into peak condition. It's pretty sad that Doaust had to constantly use morning wake-up calls to insure Ron was at workouts on time.

I know injuries played a big part in it...but he was never in game shape to start a season. He's a very talented player and I hope he's able to draw an NFL paycheck next year.

Honestly if he stayed at Syracuse for a year he would be in the same exact boat next year. Late round pick or undrafted. Not like if he stayed he had a chance to be a 3rd or 4th round pick. He just wasn't that kind of player

Hopefully Pete Carroll can motivate Ron to actually get into peak condition. It's pretty sad that Doaust had to constantly use morning wake-up calls to insure Ron was at workouts on time.

I know injuries played a big part in it...but he was never in game shape to start a season. He's a very talented player and I hope he's able to draw an NFL paycheck next year.
That is all I'm saying , just pulling for him.

Babers is desperate for DE's and can you imagine not scheming to take advantage of Thompson's talents?
Football is a team concept. You think their playing to Zaire Franklin's strength when he drops back in zone and not blitzing as much. With coaching changes you never know what's going to happen. For all we know they move him back to tight end.

Football unlike basketball destroys your body so I hope this kid gets a shot at the NFL he gave us 3 good years at Syracuse and never was trouble. I wouldn't stay in school if I got my degree if I were a FB player. Your body can only absorb so much get the heck out and if you can get paid to do it.

Thompson could have a Terell Hunt situation if he came back and got hurt week 1. I hope this kid is a flyer in the 6th or 7th round or as UDFA and makes a roster.

If Thompson is going that low, it seems to me that his jumping to the pros a year early was a mistake. He could have had a big year next year at SU and another year to get bigger and maybe faster, too.

As i have argued in previous threads it was a bad decision. The not wanting to play for another coaching staff argument is weak. Schemes dont change much as a DE. And if the kid did his homework, yes, the Tampa 2 would have accented his strengths as pressuring with the front 4 is the key and he would have been firing off the edge all day! Yes, another year could have made him a draft lock. He got tired of going to class and had sour grapes about the old staff being ousted, plain and simple.

As i have argued in previous threads it was a bad decision. The not wanting to play for another coaching staff argument is weak. Schemes dont change much as a DE. And if the kid did his homework, yes, the Tampa 2 would have accented his strengths as pressuring with the front 4 is the key and he would have been firing off the edge all day! Yes, another year could have made him a draft lock. He got tired of going to class and had sour grapes about the old staff being ousted, plain and simple.
When people get divorced you lose friends .

Here is the scoop and its not pretty: Thompson is not exactly a front office favorite. First word on the eval form after his name; lazy. second; entitled. Not exactly positive character istics. Not exactly a Babers favorite either.

Honestly if he stayed at Syracuse for a year he would be in the same exact boat next year. Late round pick or undrafted. Not like if he stayed he had a chance to be a 3rd or 4th round pick. He just wasn't that kind of player

I thought the third round was what he was hoping for when he came out.

Look, if he's happy, I'm happy for him. I hope he catches on somewhere and has a good career. I thought he was still developing as a defensive end and was on the verge of a Freeney-like senior year.

Here is the scoop and its not pretty: Thompson is not exactly a front office favorite. First word on the eval form after his name; lazy. second; entitled. Not exactly positive character istics. Not exactly a Babers favorite either.

Sounds like he needs to mature.

Ringostar57 said:

What eval form? An NFL GM eval form?

Ish88888 said:

Not that plain and simple. His family is from Detroit and any NFL salary is life changing.

Not that plain and simple. His family is from Detroit and any NFL salary is life changing.

So is an extra year of college worth 50-70k resulting in a degree and a lifetime of salaries. Btw, there are long snappers now being drafted in the 6th round, guys that normally catch on as udfa's.

So is an extra year of college worth 50-70k resulting in a degree and a lifetime of salaries. Btw, there are long snappers now being drafted in the 6th round, guys that normally catch on as udfa's.
Making an NFL practice squad nets most players 100k, which is probably more than you or I made last year or even over the last two years. And I have a Syracuse degree.

And busting Ron's chops does what?

I don't think it's "busting his chops" to suggest that he declared expecting to be drafted higher than Riley Dixon, (who should enjoy punting in Denver), and that a big senior year might have put him in the place he wanted to be.

But it's certainly true that I don't know all the aspects of his situation and if he's satisfied he made a good choice, so am I. I can't see branding him as a slacker and a malcontent just because he didn't stay here to win games for us. I'm just wondering if this is what he had in mind when he declared.

Look, if he's happy, I'm happy for him. I hope he catches on somewhere and has a good career. I thought he was still developing as a defensive end and was on the verge of a Freeney-like senior year.
good god no. He might have a career in Canada but the NFL isn't in his future

I would love to see the Chiefs bring him in as an UDFA. Chance to learn from Hali and Houston.

Stern said:
good god no. He might have a career in Canada but the NFL isn't in his future

You don't know that.

Freeney was a dominant defensive player that other teams had to game plan for on a weekly basis. Thompson showed some flashes but was inconsistent and nowhere near the player Freeney was. There were games last year where he was barely a blip on the radar screen. Another off-season wouldn't have gotten him close to Freeney, who is likely to wind up in Canton.

You are great at digging up stats and historical info but I'm guessing evaluating talent is not your strong suit.

OrangeXtreme said:

That didn't take long. As good as going late.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom