Roscoe Smith leaving uconn.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Roscoe Smith leaving uconn..

wow.

Could be a very, very tough year next season for JC and co. Amazing thing is that aside from the completely unexpected fantasy tourney run of Kemba Walker, this program has been in severe decline for a number of years. They have not had a winning BE record in FOUR seasons. The Kemba season was sandwiched by two incredibly underperforming seasons. Two top 10 preseason teams, one of which didn't even make the NIT, and the other which also was under .5o0 in the BE and had to sweat out Selection Sunday only to get get blown out in the first round.

JC is a tough as nails coach and you can't count him out, but I don't see a Kemba Walker miracle run next year. They could be in serious trouble, and potentially permamently.

Kemba will turn out to be their Dwight Freeney year, except they got a freaking national championship. But I agree, they' ve been in decline for a few years now.

This^^^
Its not a coincidence that there hasn't been another Death Penalty since SMU. The NCAA saw what it did to that program which is still feeling the aftershocks 30 yrs later. If they're not careful they could end up having a similar effect with this APR nonsense- with UConn being the litmus test.

I would really like the NCAA to fully enforce their rules,when SMU got the death penalty I really did not care or felt for one second that it was not unfair.They got what they deserved and so did Calhoun who did not have enough control over his players to stay on top of their grades.

Maybe Calhoun should have hired better assistants who could command some control over the inmates.

And Bombay I am not directly attacking you,but you left the avenue in which how I feel about certain things.

So, do the guys who bolt due to APR still have to sit out a year? It hardly seems worth it if they do.
Since it's a one year APR ban, only seniors who transfer would not have to sit a year. Oriakhi was the only senior.

If it had been a 2 year ban, then juniors and senior are exempt.

The theory being (indert snarky UConn comments here) that Roscoe could be eligibleto play in post season by staying at UCONN by time he loses all his eligibility, just not next year.

Could have as much to do with PO'd about last year's PT after Drummond and Daniels came on late to squeeze Oriakhi, Roscoe and Tyler Olander PT. Roscoe's soph year stats were underwhelming.

I would really like the NCAA to fully enforce their rules,when SMU got the death penalty I really did not care or felt for one second that it was not unfair.They got what they deserved and so did Calhoun who did not have enough control over his players to stay on top of their grades.

Maybe Calhoun should have hired better assistants who could command some control over the inmates.

And Bombay I am not directly attacking you,but you left the avenue in which how I feel about certain things.

No offense taken & I see your point.
The NCAA's role in this is significant because they don't want to kill the goose that laid the golden egg by imposing punishments that cripple entire sports programs. Its no coincidence they've been whispers about conferences eventually splitting off & forming their own governing body.
The Death Penalty turned out to be a "nuclear option" in that its effects lasted well beyond what the NCAA expected. Now the APR may end up being the same way.
Do programs deserve to be punished? Of course.
The question is to what extent, and how impact-full the consequences ought to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom