Class of 2016 - S Devon Clarke (FL) SIGNED LOI | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 S Devon Clarke (FL) SIGNED LOI

I hate when this happens, gotta feel awful for the kid. You can say he should know better, but clearly he's an excited passionate guy. I think some of the blame should be put on the staff, if not most, for not making sure he's aware of whatever his offer situation is.

I hate when this happens, gotta feel awful for the kid. You can say he should know better, but clearly he's an excited passionate guy. I think some of the blame should be put on the staff, if not most, for not making sure he's aware of whatever his offer situation is.
How exactly do you know that the staff DIDN'T tell him? He jumped the gun. Any recruit absolutely, 100% has to talk to a coach before announcing it publicly. That's just how it works.

How exactly do you know that the staff DIDN'T tell him? He jumped the gun. Any recruit absolutely, 100% has to talk to a coach before announcing it publicly. That's just how it works.
Regardless, it's an uncomfortable situation.

Yes, and it's one that was created by the kid after failing to call the coaches and tell them first.
This kid seems to have been chomping at the bit to commit for a few weeks now. Like you stated earlier, he probably saw all the spots being taken, and decided to move things along. This seems to happen around the country a few times a year and it is always an uncomfortable situation. The school always looks bad to those that want that school to look bad, but those that follow recruiting closely understand the dynamic a little better than most. An article comes out, written with only the kid's point of view, because the coaches cannot talk about recruits and some coaches might use it for negative recruiting, but most recruits and coaches, both high school and college, would understand if it were explained to them that this was a non-committable offer and the kid committed via twitter before talking with any coaches.

Sometimes I think that these HS FB coaches need to have a class for their players on the rules of recruiting and commitment. They are the ones that are suppose to be guiding these kids through this process.
Exactly. The parents and the players are not going to know how to play the game so the coach has to play a strong role in guiding the player and his family through the recruiting process.

I am sorry this happened to Devon and hope things work out so he ends up at Syracuse down the road.

The bottom line is, as recruiting improves, this kind of thing is more likely to happen. SU has turned down or slowed the recruiting process on a number of good players in this class. It is unfortunate but a necessary evil when you have more players that want in than spots available. Much like airline companies need to overbook flights to ensure they get the best profit results possible.

The lesson for recruits is if they want to wait relatively late in the recruiting cycle to commit, they run the risk of losing their spot, especially if they are in that 'really good but not quite great' range.

The great players can wait all they want. The others, not quite as long. Again, I hope Devon ends up here. He has a lot of talent and would be a contributor at Syracuse, perhaps even a star.

Yep. That's exactly how it works. A recruit has got to confirm with a coach before putting everything out there.

Same thing with Daewood Davis and Miami. Not all that uncommon for kids to try to commit with an uncommitable offer. Unfortunate part of recruiting, but it is what it is. The Ginnetti stuff bothers me far more.

Same thing with Daewood Davis and Miami. Not all that uncommon for kids to try to commit with an uncommitable offer. Unfortunate part of recruiting, but it is what it is. The Ginnetti stuff bothers me far more.

How do we know that Ginnettis offer was still commitable? Recruiting needs change. Yes it was commitable when he was a 2015 but now he is in a different class. Skill needs change.

So he committed without really a commitable offer, and without talking to the staff first?

Yeah, he definitely wanted to secure his spot as those spots are dwindling. I feel bad for the kid if he ends up as only a fallback. He seems excited about SU, though, that's for sure. Hope he still has a chance to come here. He's a talented player it seems.

CuseLegacy said:
How do we know that Ginnettis offer was still commitable? Recruiting needs change. Yes it was commitable when he was a 2015 but now he is in a different class. Skill needs change.

Exactly. That plus his ability to play might have changed since he was out for so long.

Just wish they'd be more upfront and communicate that.

CuseLegacy said:

Well, he committed and the staff was prepared to take him at one point. If the staff wanted to move on, they should have found a way to tell him. That's my only thing. I don't blame them for wanting to open up a spot at all.

These kids have a limited window to figure out their football futures. If a player who has committed to you is no longer in your plans for whatever reason, make it clear so they can go find a new option.

It's the same thing basically.

The staff has to do what is in the best interest of the program. Whether it's being cautious after a kid with potential but not quite star caliber has a potentially debilitating injury, or a kid isn't quite good enough and we would rather wait to try and get the best possible guy before accepting the commitment.

Ginnetti was recruited based on potential - after an injury like he suffered, you wait and see. Does it suck? Yes. But what's the difference between this and a kid committing to SU and then getting an offer from Alabama late in the process and jumping at it?

"Hey sorry, but I have to do what is in my best interest." Works both ways.

Well, he committed and the staff was prepared to take him at one point. If the staff wanted to move on, they should have found a way to tell him. That's my only thing. I don't blame them for wanting to open up a spot at all.

These kids have a limited window to figure out their football futures. If a player who has committed to you is no longer in your plans for whatever reason, make it clear so they can go find a new option.

I agree. But honestly neither you nor I know what was actually said to Ginnetti. I wish the NCAA would let the coaches be more open about these things.

CuseLegacy said:
I agree. But honestly neither you nor I know what was actually said to Ginnetti. I wish the NCAA would let the coaches be more open about these things.

That is true. I just assume that he's not lying, but there's always that possibility.

Clarke is back on Twitter, he is retweeting congratulatory tweets and he still has not deleted anything. Including the "Syracuse commit" line on his profile page. Maybe this kid is in the mafia, he is making Shafer an offer that he can't refuse!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom