Class of 2015 - S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah

Alot of knowledgeable people I respect on this board are fans of SB. Everytime I want to give him credit for doing something well, three things follow that just don't sit well with me.

This is one of those things, intentional or not, it's your profession and your track record shows a history of sensationalism.

I'll give him this, he puts out alot of stories. Quantity or quality though, what's more important?

Alot of knowledgeable people I respect on this board are fans of SB. Everytime I want to give him credit for doing something well, three things follow that just don't sit well with me.

This is one of those things, intentional or not, it's your profession and your track record shows a history of sensationalism.

I'll give him this, he puts out alot of stories. Quantity or quality though, what's more important?

I'm sure crap like this is endearing him to the staff. Time and again we hear from the PS that they're there to report the facts and not be cheerleaders for the program. Well...uh...it's pretty hard to report facts when you report partial stories.

Interesting.

I don't believe that SU has even done that before.
You got credit in the Cusenation article for coming up with the "SU didn't trigger recruitment" argument. ;)

I'm sure crap like this is endearing him to the staff. Time and again we hear from the PS that they're there to report the facts and not be cheerleaders for the program. Well...uh...it's pretty hard to report facts when you report partial stories.
rj.jpg

sutomcat said:
I don't think this was a case of intentional sensational journalism by Stephen. He just reported what he knew. When you break as many stories as he does, there will occasionally be a bit of a misstep. I for one think he does a great job covering the team, especially recruiting. IMHO., he is by far the best journalist the PS has had covering recruiting. Really like what he has done since the PS hired him. It probably won't happen but I really hope he stays here for a long time.

This is so true despite some missteps.

Needs to be more careful about rushing to judgment.

But his coverage of the beat, especially recruiting, is strong.

This from someone who was a sportswriter for 20 years.

Finwad32 said:
Alot of knowledgeable people I respect on this board are fans of SB. Everytime I want to give him credit for doing something well, three things follow that just don't sit well with me. This is one of those things, intentional or not, it's your profession and your track record shows a history of sensationalism. I'll give him this, he puts out alot of stories. Quantity or quality though, what's more important?

Most of his stories are quality.

Classes started on Monday. It's now Thursday, so shouldn't SU's football beat writer be looking into anything he can get regarding Blair. I don't blame him for running with the original story when he heard that Giordano was being put on scholarship, if he wasn't getting anything from SU.

Doubt the previous administration, Chancellor, and AD would have thought of this. Maybe another shout out to the NCAA, from Kent that he knows the rules, better then they do.

Classes started on Monday. It's now Thursday, so shouldn't SU's football beat writer be looking into anything he can get regarding Blair. I don't blame him for running with the original story when he heard that Giordano was being put on scholarship, if he wasn't getting anything from SU.
My issue is that the beat writers covering the program seemingly have zero relationship with anyone on the campus to get any answers. This leads them to run incorrect articles that freak everyone out.

My issue is that the beat writers covering the program seemingly have zero relationship with anyone on the campus to get any answers. This leads them to run incorrect articles that freak everyone out.
I feel like multiple articles only represent one side of the story in terms of sources. I cut my teeth under a very conservative editor in chief, he never would've let me release the stories without representation from the other side.

It's possible that I would've been able to release it if multiple attempts to get their side were made, as the disclaimer in the Bailey story said, but, I feel like even the disclaimer was added afterward.

Last edited:
I feel like multiple articles only represent one side of the story in terms of sources. I cut my teeth under a very conservative editor in chief, he never would've let me release the stories without representation from the other side.

It's possible that I would've been able to release it if multiple attempts to get their side were made as the disclaimer in Bailey story said, but, I feel like even the disclaimer was added afterward.

The PS chose to run the one-sided "my scholarship got pulled out from under me" stories during recruiting when they knew the staff couldn't comment on them otherwise it would have been a NCAA violation. That pretty much sums it up right there.

Not to mention, who the hell are they in a race with to report this stuff? Skout is the only outlet that reports anything on a detail level like this and it's subscription based.

Finwad32 said:
I feel like multiple articles only represent one side of the story in terms of sources. I cut my teeth under a very conservative editor in chief, he never would've let me release the stories without representation from the other side. It's possible that I would've been able to release it if multiple attempts to get their side were made as the disclaimer in Bailey story said, but, I feel like even the disclaimer was added afterward.

This is a good point. Times have changed. Editors and editing have gone by the wayside, for the most part.

I've been saying for years now that society will pay a price for the demise of the journalistic craft and newspapers in general.

Bailey is young, but he's eager and very talented. But he needs to be taught.

Few read papers or even online papers, but this is part of the price.

Glad to see still room for Blair, I feel we will have more than 18 available when all said and done. I looked back at the 2014 recruiting class and already 1.5 years later 8 of those 24 recruits are no longer with the program. I was floored at how many, but I went back a few more classes and the numbers are still significant. Non quals, transfers, injuries, etc. I say we sign over 20 for sure this class.

Glad to see still room for Blair, I feel we will have more than 18 available when all said and done. I looked back at the 2014 recruiting class and already 1.5 years later 8 of those 24 recruits are no longer with the program. I was floored at how many, but I went back a few more classes and the numbers are still significant. Non quals, transfers, injuries, etc. I say we sign over 20 for sure this class.

18 is now 16 when you factor in Giordano and Cole "Drop Kick" Murphy who is also reported to be getting a scholarship.

The PS chose to run the one-sided "my scholarship got pulled out from under me" stories during recruiting when they knew the staff couldn't comment on them otherwise it would have been a NCAA violation. That pretty much sums it up right there.

I don't think the staff wouldn't have been able to discuss this as this doesn't fall into recruiting. Giordano is already on campus. I believe that he is currently participating as a walk on. The staff could have clarified his status. And the fact that Giordano had an offer has been known by Bailey and Mike for weeks.

18 is now 16 when you factor in Giordano and Cole "Drop Kick" Murphy who is also reported to be getting a scholarship.

I have a feeling there will be a number of redshirt juniors taking their degrees and playing a 5th year elsewhere. Or not playing altogether.

I have a feeling there will be a number of redshirt juniors taking their degrees and playing a 5th year elsewhere. Or not playing altogether.

You may be right but I have heard 18 spots. Plus I still think the jury is out on Ginnetti. It all depends on his injury status. He is another one who didn't play at all last year.

Not to mention a kid like Ron Thompson who may opt to go pro, ala Eskeridge last year.

I don't think the staff wouldn't have been able to discuss this as this doesn't fall into recruiting. Giordano is already on campus. I believe that he is currently participating as a walk on. The staff could have clarified his status. And the fact that Giordano had an offer has been known by Bailey and Mike for weeks.

No I know the staff could comment on this particular situation if they wanted to. I was just commenting on the "running a story without both sides thing" - the stuff that happened during recruiting last fall IMO was even worse than this because those were situations that the PS knew the staff couldn't comment one way or the other and they ran the stories anyway.

Name another program with 3 kickers on scholarship and only 5 DTs ! Kicker U!