Class of 2015 - S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah

My impression of the NCAA, it has almost everything to do with money and very little to do with academics and the student athlete. Why not reward a kid for hard work and hitting goals to meet their standards? Please someone make a decision, even if it is no. For cripes sake, they're like congress.

Here's my issue: if a kid did actual work in an actual class (as in, no UNC situations), and the teachers said it was good enough, who the hell is the NCAA to tell them they're wrong, when they're looking at it from about as far outside the situation as you can get?

Here's my issue: if a kid did actual work in an actual class (as in, no UNC situations), and the teachers said it was good enough, who the hell is the NCAA to tell them they're wrong, when they're looking at it from about as far outside the situation as you can get?
That's what they told us 3 athletes, who the academic side at Syracuse said their was no evidence of academic misconduct, and to get JB, those clowns said there was. They make up new rules, to contradict current rules, to fit the situation. That's why they need to be taken to court, so that they are told they have to abide by their own rules, and not something they just make up to punish schools they want to.

To expound on this, in this situation, shouldnt the burden be on the ncaa to prove the kid isnt eligible? Why is the student guilty until proven innocent?

To expound on this, in this situation, shouldnt the burden be on the ncaa to prove the kid isnt eligible? Why is the student guilty until proven innocent?
In any logical world, you would be right. In the Bizarro world we live in... :noidea:

Hey remember Mark Emmert's explanation for why SU and UNC are different cases?

"Emmert on Syracuse case: Different from UNC because it was case of athletic dept officials contributing to cheating. 'In NCAA's wheelhouse.'"

Apparently UNC academics weren't considered in the NCAA's wheelhouse, but some high school that's not even under the NCAA's jurisdiction IS in its wheelhouse.

Might be a silly question but is the NCAA looking at this situation a little harder than it would another program because we're on probation or is this the norm?

Might be a silly question but is the NCAA looking at this situation a little harder than it would another program because we're on probation or is this the norm?
I would say no. We had 4 other kids in the same boat including shy. I am guessing there was something strange about a class or a summer class. I have little use for the ncaa but this doesn't seem to out of line for the rules they have in place as to what counts and doesn't count.

To be honest, I'm somewhat shocked that they are allowed to deliberate for essentially as long as they please, while a kid's life hangs in the balance.

Maybe a lawyer could chime in here.. If the NCAA were to drag this out further than fall admission timelines and subsequently rule a prospective student-athlete eligible after the fall deadline, wouldn't that student have a case for irreparable harm, or some other punitive type damage claim, done by the NCAA? I mean, the kid's life essentially was put on hold by the NCAA. I would have to think a clever lawyer would be able to sue the NCAA for taking so long to review individual cases.

Any time a kid has to take a course in a non traditional way like Blair did, the NCAA is gonna look at it. The problem, which is unfair to the guys who've done what they need to do, is that the NCAA is incredibly inefficient and slow about doing so.

brian+bosworth.jpg

To be honest, I'm somewhat shocked that they are allowed to deliberate for essentially as long as they please, while a kid's life hangs in the balance.

Maybe a lawyer could chime in here.. If the NCAA were to drag this out further than fall admission timelines and subsequently rule a prospective student-athlete eligible after the fall deadline, wouldn't that student have a case for irreparable harm, or some other punitive type damage claim, done by the NCAA? I mean, the kid's life essentially was put on hold by the NCAA. I would have to think a clever lawyer would be able to sue the NCAA for taking so long to review individual cases.
no, unless you could somehow prove intentional acting in bad faith toward an individual player.

Like it or not, the NCAA is the clearinghouse for eligibility. Schools are voluntary members of the NCAA and agree to abide by the rules and standards for eligibility. There is nothing that requires an individual student to play a sport. It is a privilege, not a right. If a prospective player wants to compete at an NCAA aligned school, they must go through the clearinghouse process.

I share the frustrations most of the board has with the NCAA, but this isn't the kind of thing they are gonna get sued over.

Any time a kid has to take a course in a non traditional way like Blair did, the NCAA is gonna look at it. The problem, which is unfair to the guys who've done what they need to do, is that the NCAA is incredibly inefficient and slow about doing so.

From what I was told this isn't about the summer on-line courses.

I mean, my first thought when I heard about Blair's summer classes was Michael Oher. He's the poster child for extra classes to become eligible.

Then hell..what could it be? SAT ACT? Courses.he did graduate HS so what is the NCAA up to?

My question is why does it take so long...Checking grades and verifying SAT/ACT scores should take about 45 minutes, this has been dragging on for weeks. There can't be that many kids left to check on, most everyone is on campus aleady.

shouldnt the ncaa just have a rule to follow.. if you want to be eligible for fall get the paperwork in by X and we will have an answer by Y.. if they have too many kids to review then spend some of the excess millions on a few more bodies

shouldnt the ncaa just have a rule to follow.. if you want to be eligible for fall get the paperwork in by X and we will have an answer by Y.. if they have too many kids to review then spend some of the excess millions on a few more bodies

That would actually be logical. You're talking about an illogical entity :)

CuseLegacy from what you are hearing is it a major issue that could be a significant stumbling block, or is it more of a "dot your I's cross your T's" type of thing?

CuseLegacy from what you are hearing is it a major issue that could be a significant stumbling block, or is it more of a "dot your I's cross your T's" type of thing?
Yes, any clarification would be helpful...anyone?

From what I was told this isn't about the summer on-line courses.
If the NCAA isn't going to allow him to enroll at SU, when does he need to know in order to go JUCO or prep?

Has anyone been unable to enroll in an alternative school for the fall semester because the clowns took too long to decide an admissions isssue?