Class of 2015 - S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah

CuseLegacy said:
Because there is an eligility requirement. Just because a kid graduates from HS doesn't mean he meets those requirements. And those requirements are going to increase next year.

Yep. The bar for graduating HS is very low as to the course requirements. You could take math made easy as a HS course, but it's not a college prep course. Lot of blame can be tossed about towards a lot of people, but when it comes to initial eligibility, it's not the NCAA.

Sorry I said astronomy I meantphycology but you get my point about class groupings either way

Sorry I said astronomy I meantphycology but you get my point about class groupings either way
Astronomy, psychology. I know how that goes. I often mean to type "oh boy Rutgers is terrific" and it comes out "SCREW RUTGERS" because of my frequent typos.

I spent some time breeding fruit flies as well, though it was about 99% unintentional and had more to do with a lack of cleanliness in my apartment on Euclid.
Good for you, most guys here wouldn't admit to being able to breed with fruit flies. :rolling:

rrlbees said:
Yep. The bar for graduating HS is very low as to the course requirements. You could take math made easy as a HS course, but it's not a college prep course. Lot of blame can be tossed about towards a lot of people, but when it comes to initial eligibility, it's not the NCAA.

Precisely. SU could have checked his course load months ago and determined whether he was taking the right courses.we would have known then whether he'd be eligible.

I guess if we want to look at silver lining:

This frees up an additional scholarship for 2016. Adam Giordano was going to count against 2016, but now that Blair is out of the picture, Giordano shifts to 2015, which in turn frees up that Giordano scholarship for the 2016 class (this has been confirmed to me, by the way).

I will again speak for shys case on this the cuse staff was all over this and made sure he took the right classes. Again different states call different classes different names it could havE been everyone did what they thought was right to get him out of the hole he was in. Hence the appeal to get the NCAA to change their mind and the time it took to investigate

Precisely. SU could have checked his course load months ago and determined whether he was taking the right courses.we would have known then whether he'd be eligible.

I think the staff has been very hands on with all the commits that have had academic issues. I don't think that it was that Blair wasn't taking the right courses this year but rather he was already behind from his academic issues the other three years of HS.

Well...damn. Sadly, not everything works out no matter how badly everyone wants it to. I think he worked hard to get eligible but he's going to have to work at it for another 18 months anyhow before he can be on a D-1 roster. I hope he makes it back to SU but best wishes to him however it works out now...

Yet another reason why the P-5 should breakaway.
The problem is not that the NCAA enforces HS course requirements. It's that the NCAA enforces HS requirements and then turns it back after the kid enters college.

That's why all this hair-splitting over whether different hard science courses meet the requirements is so comical: two months later, after the kid enters college, he can stay eligible by having Dr. Seuss books read to him.

Last edited:
High school advisers priority is making sure they graduate. Typically, it's up to the student to obtain the requisites for entry into a particular school or meet certain requirements. I am sure Blair tried mightily to get where he needed to be. I am also sure his advisers and supporters also tried mightily to make sure he was where he needed to be. Sometimes there is no easy answer of fault. But, I will say that it would be better if student-athletes wouldn't be so close to the edge in the first place. Best of luck to Blair. I hope it makes it to the Hill after he's done with juco.
In addition to all of their day to day duties, no where in a HS counsellors job description/contract does it state they need to know NCAA rules and regs for NCAA eligibility. I know because I know some in VA and I asked. Those that know some stuff, look it up themselves on their own time. We all know stuff is always changing so it's a gigantic time suck for the counsellors who may or may not ever have a d1 athlete to keep up with everything necessary to the letter.

You can say that's ridiculous, they should do it anyway. Think about your own jobs, when you finally go home how much do you want to bust out your laptop and research legalese documentation that you need to sort through and figure out what's relevant?

I'm not saying this counselor didn't screw up, but something didn't happen that should have. Heck Bam has said 3-4 times that Shy was getting his counsellors talking with SU to verify his schedule would suffice, as SU has the experts on this stuff. Clearly that's where the failure came from here, the SU staff and the counselors didn't get things done right, 5 classes is a huge screwup. Hopefully it's just a bump in the road for Marquise and he gets on the D1 level in 18 months.

The problem is not that the NCAA enforces HS course requirements. It's that the NCAA enforces HS requirements and then turns it back after the kid enters college.

That's why all this hair-splitting over different hard science courses meeting the requirements is so comical: two months later, after the kid enters college, he can stay eligible having Dr. Seuss books read to him.

...or attending UNC.

I spent some time breeding fruit flies as well, though it was about 99% unintentional and had more to do with a lack of cleanliness in my apartment on Euclid.
The big ones are probably not fruit flies, Jeff. ;)

I didn't know that SEC recruits ever passed or even took Chemistry or Math.......Lots of them had trouble signing their names. That was ok with the NCAA. Bet if he was headed to ole Miss or Bama he would have been ok.

I didn't know that SEC recruits ever passed or even took Chemistry or Math....Lots of them had trouble signing their names. That was ok with the NCAA. Bet if he was headed to ole Miss or Bama he would have been ok.
the ncaa can also issue hardship waivers for students who dont clear the eligibility. under certain circumstances the schools can apply for waivers...the acc doesnt allow them...the sec does

FWIW a bunch of people connected to UMASS have started following him on Twitter.

Did they join a new athletics organization?

Yeah not sure of the significance there. Can't see the NCAA clearing him to go there when he can't go here.

Yeah not sure of the significance there. Can't see the NCAA clearing him to go there when he can't go here.
Maybe they think he didn't pass SU admissions only?