Class of 2015 - S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah

Bottom line is that his HS screwed up, correct? Who was advising them on what Blair could and should do? Does the NCAA have a hotline that schools can consult, or do they only come in after the fact and screw you when it's too late?

Would love to hear Shafer address it and drop a comment about the NCAA and how everyone should be considering other options.

Bottom line is that his HS screwed up, correct? Who was advising them on what Blair could and should do? Does the NCAA have a hotline that schools can consult, or do they only come in after the fact and screw you when it's too late?

Would love to hear Shafer address it and drop a comment about the NCAA and how everyone should be considering other options.

Sometimes a kid is already too far in the hole academically.

True, high school advisers are responsible for making sure classes meet requirements. They're at fault here.

True, high school advisers are responsible for making sure classes meet requirements. They're at fault here.
Agreed. This could have been avoided a lot of ways, but the people advising him academically did a very poor job, to say the least. There's no way Marquise would have known that his classes wouldn't count. Hell, I'm a 34 year old man and I wouldn't even begin to understand what classes do and don't count, which is why we have professionals to act as advisors for these 16 and 17 year old kids.

Kid can graduate from HS, has the minimum test scores, can get accepted at Syracuse...but that's not good enough to prove that he's worthy of being a student athlete? Complete joke.

Disgusting. The NCAA is the biggest hypocritical entity in the history of the world.

The kid graduated from HS, met the test scores and was accepted to SU. Seriously, why was this even a question in the first place? If his HS classes were good enough for his school and Ohio, why is the NCAA doing this to him? And now, he's stuck at some crappy JUCO in the middle of nowhere, just hoping he'll get the chance he's already earned.

scumbags

Agreed. This could have been avoided a lot of ways, but the people advising him academically did a very poor job, to say the least. There's no way Marquise would have known that his classes wouldn't count. Hell, I'm a 34 year old man and I wouldn't even begin to understand what classes do and don't count, which is why we have professionals to act as advisors for these 16 and 17 year old kids.

Why are you assuming this is an advisor's fault when we don't know the exact reason the classes don't count? It's possible he wasn't allowed to count repeated courses, and perhaps that was the basis for the appeal?

Why are you assuming this is an advisor's fault when we don't know the exact reason the classes don't count? It's possible he wasn't allowed to count repeated courses, and perhaps that was the basis for the appeal?
Because whoever was advising him should have known whether or not they'd count? I mean...what the hell do they get paid for? I don't know who was advising him. But they advised him poorly.

The NCAA can't possibly police the quality and standard of every course out there.

No. Wait.

Because whoever was advising him should have known whether or not they'd count? I mean...what the hell do they get paid for? I don't know who was advising him. But they advised him poorly.

No, not necessarily. Maybe you should wait to hear more facts before you blame someone for not doing their job correctly.

How can you tell me the NCAA is for the student when, Blair did everything he was asked of him, then the NCAA takes as long as it can to deny Blair and now he has to try and join a JUCO at the LAST second. If the NCAA really cared about the student they would see that Blair did everything asked of him and would let him join Cuse or at least let him know he was denied in a week or 2 so he can look for a good JUCO. The NCAA is so backwards and so hypocritical it's worse than a joke.
And it is fine that recruits for duke and Kentucky skip their sr yrs of HS

High school advisers priority is making sure they graduate. Typically, it's up to the student to obtain the requisites for entry into a particular school or meet certain requirements. I am sure Blair tried mightily to get where he needed to be. I am also sure his advisers and supporters also tried mightily to make sure he was where he needed to be. Sometimes there is no easy answer of fault. But, I will say that it would be better if student-athletes wouldn't be so close to the edge in the first place. Best of luck to Blair. I hope it makes it to the Hill after he's done with juco.

High school advisers priority is making sure they graduate. Typically, it's up to the student to obtain the requisites for entry into a particular school or meet certain requirements. I am sure Blair tried mightily to get where he needed to be. I am also sure his advisers and supporters also tried mightily to make sure he was where he needed to be. Sometimes there is no easy answer of fault. But, I will say that it would be better if student-athletes wouldn't be so close to the edge in the first place. Best of luck to Blair. I hope it makes it to the Hill after he's done with juco.
If it is a case of repetitive classes, and I don't know that it is, then the advisers should have asked the NCAA prior to setting these classes up for him. If this is the case, other classes that would be more challenging could have been set up, and while he may or may not have been able to achieve the required grade, at least they wouldn't have been a waste of time.

If a kid is ineligible, he's ineligible. Fine, whatever, I don't have as big a problem with that.

But don't take TWO FREAKING MONTHS to review his transcripts when his future hangs in the balance. Use some goddamn urgency, because while it's fine for you to go screw around and take your coffee breaks, a young man's future is on the line. Now, you've left him scrambling to find a place to actually go try to make it over this new hurdle you've placed in front of him. Chances are he'll find a landing spot soon enough, but the fact that he's forced to scramble at all is a testament to how LITTLE the NCAA actually cares about the well being of the student-athlete.
Exactly this and I dont have anything else say about the matter. Dam Shame, hope he lands somewhere, kick butt and consider us down the road.

Last edited:
Disgusting. The NCAA is the biggest hypocritical entity in the history of the world.

The kid graduated from HS, met the test scores and was accepted to SU. Seriously, why was this even a question in the first place? If his HS classes were good enough for his school and Ohio, why is the NCAA doing this to him? And now, he's stuck at some crappy JUCO in the middle of nowhere, just hoping he'll get the chance he's already earned.

scumbags

Because there is an eligility requirement. Just because a kid graduates from HS doesn't mean he meets those requirements. And those requirements are going to increase next year.

Exactly this and I dont have anything else say about the matter. Dam Shame, hope he lands somwhere kick butt and consider us down the road.
And that's the tough thing (for us) here: at this point, having to do two years of JUCO, I'm basically not expecting to ever see him at Syracuse. It just happens so infrequently for a kid to commit, go to JUCO for two years, and then stick with his original school.

And that's the tough thing (for us) here: at this point, having to do two years of JUCO, I'm basically not expecting to ever see him at Syracuse. It just happens so infrequently for a kid to commit, go to JUCO for two years, and then stick with his original school.
Very true. Potentially our recruiting will continue to improve and we are taking in two safeties of his caliber in every class. I would like for him to end up at SU, because he thought enough of us to commit here, but if he doesn't, I wish him well in wherever he goes.

Because there is an eligility requirement. Just because a kid graduates from HS doesn't mean he meets those requirements. And those requirements are going to increase next year.

Yet another reason why the P-5 should breakaway.

I will give you another shy situation to explain this. Each school or state calls a class something different. So the NCAA says you must take a biology an astronomy type class. So shy sets up his courses. He takes biology 2 because he failed it sophomore year. But he took biology 1 freshman year. So mass would pass him because he passed 2 years of science. They don't require a different 2 nd year. He would graduate and be set. But he wants to meet NCAA requirements so he has to take a different science. So he puts in for chemistry they say no that's the same type as biology so he had to take astronomy to satisfy the NCAA eligibility needs. He class would have been ok to graduate but not clear NCAA. MatH works the same way algebra is one group algebra 2 is the same group but statistics and finance is a different group. You have to make sure you not only pass math 4 years you have to use different groups of math

Wow. The default blame the NCAA.

Their eligibility requirements are very clear. As to the time it took, I bet it wasn't just the NCAA sitting on the decision. I bet a lot of paperwork and discussions went back and forth, especially with the number of courses. Sometimes a kid is just so far behind there is no catching up but you take a shot.

Full_Rebar said:

An advisor should have checked to see he wasn't taking repeated courses. SU could have checked courses to see if he was taking the correct courses.

Wow. The default blame the NCAA.

Their eligibility requirements are very clear. As to the time it took, I bet it wasn't just the NCAA sitting on the decision. I bet a lot of paperwork and discussions went back and forth, especially with the number of courses. Sometimes a kid is just so far behind there is no catching up but you take a shot.

^^^^^^^
This.

Again there is an appeal process. Blair had an opportunity to appeal the decision of the NCAA. He also had the ability to form a back up plan of finding a JUCO to attend while the appeal process was underway.

I will give you another shy situation to explain this. Each school or state calls a class something different. So the NCAA says you must take a biology an astronomy type class. So shy sets up his courses. He takes biology 2 because he failed it sophomore year. But he took biology 1 freshman year. So mass would pass him because he passed 2 years of science. They don't require a different 2 nd year. He would graduate and be set. But he wants to meet NCAA requirements so he has to take a different science. So he puts in for chemistry they say no that's the same type as biology so he had to take astronomy to satisfy the NCAA eligibility needs. He class would have been ok to graduate but not clear NCAA. MatH works the same way algebra is one group algebra 2 is the same group but statistics and finance is a different group. You have to make sure you not only pass math 4 years you have to use different groups of math
Biology and Chemistry are the same type science? That is crazy. I am starting to doubt whether I would have been eligible.