Class of 2015 - S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 S Marquise Blair (OH) Committed and signed to Utah

my question would be this kid did not just start to become a D1 kid in his SR year, i know its the kid who needs to do the work but they should have been working on getting the kid straightened out long before his sr year.

OrangeXtreme said:

He doesn't sound like Shafer who doesn't blame the NCAA at all and knew Blair was a risk. This guy is just frustrated.

tep624 said:
Yeah not sure of the significance there. Can't see the NCAA clearing him to go there when he can't go here.
Lolol. I'm an idiot. Meant to post that in the Daiquan Kelly thread. A bunch of UMASS people followed him...

"The five courses that the NCAA did not accept were taken in non-traditional settings, Haas said. Some were blended learning with a teacher and online element while others were online only."

"That was really where, in the NCAA's eyes, the hiccup occurred," Haas said.

It seems to me that there has to be more to it than that. Isaiah Johnsons' school was almost entirely on-line courses and he had no trouble .

CuseLegacy said:
"The five courses that the NCAA did not accept were taken in non-traditional settings, Haas said. Some were blended learning with a teacher and online element while others were online only." "That was really where, in the NCAA's eyes, the hiccup occurred," Haas said. It seems to me that there has to be more to it than that. Isaiah Johnsons' school was almost entirely on-line courses and he had no trouble .

Probably some of what Bam mentioned too about duplicates. Compare the syllabus of 2 courses and they may have been too similar.

Probably some of what Bam mentioned too about duplicates. Compare the syllabus of 2 courses and they may have been too similar.

It's really too bad -- the kid made a tremendous turnaround, but he'd dug himself too deep of a hole to start off with. It says a lot about a kid that age that he could buckle down long term and give it his all [not many kids that age can do that, when they aren't conscientious students to begin with].

Yet another reason why the P-5 should breakaway.
To get away from academic integrity?

Say what you want, and Blair's case is an unfortunate side effect, but these are colleges, and the NCAA does need to maintain some sort of standard.

If a kid can hit the testing marks / sliding scales then everything else should be left up to admissions.

We either have tough admissions or we don’t. (Remember the Thompson’s urban legend about grades?) Took balls for Wisconsin to deny admission to the 4 star RB last week who cleared NCAA standards.

PhatOrange said:
If a kid can hit the testing marks / sliding scales then everything else should be left up to admissions. We either have tough admissions or we don’t. (Remember the Thompson’s urban legend about grades?) Took balls for Wisconsin to deny admission to the 4 star RB last week who cleared NCAA standards.

Most schools allow the football team a few exceptions on admissions if they can meet NCAA requirements. I don't know how many Shafer gets from SU but he said they took on 4 at risk recruits and 3 made it through NCAA qualification, Blair didn't. I'm not sure thru normal SU admissions that Blair would get in.

It's really too bad -- the kid made a tremendous turnaround, but he'd dug himself too deep of a hole to start off with. It says a lot about a kid that age that he could buckle down long term and give it his all [not many kids that age can do that, when they aren't conscientious students to begin with].
If Blair couldn't qualify, why was he taking those courses after the spring semester? Were those (some of) the duplicate courses? If so, who was advising him? I don't care how "deep the hole was". There is no point in piling duplicate, and thus strictly useless, work onto your transcript. Better to get a jump on the JUCO process. Something still does not add up.

Most schools allow the football team a few exceptions on admissions if they can meet NCAA requirements. I don't know how many Shafer gets from SU but he said they took on 4 at risk recruits and 3 made it through NCAA qualification, Blair didn't. I'm not sure thru normal SU admissions that Blair would get in.

I don't think either football or hoops has a set limit and that full scholarship and full qualifier = SU admission. Rumor was that Gross/Cantor had same formula for every sport, but that Syverud is moving away from that policy.

If Blair couldn't qualify, why was he taking those courses after the spring semester? Were those (some of) the duplicate courses? If so, who was advising him? I don't care how "deep the hole was". There is no point in piling duplicate, and thus strictly useless, work onto your transcript. Better to get a jump on the JUCO process. Something still does not add up.

I think you're reading into it too much. The school / coaches / guidance counselors thought the courses they signed him up for WOULD qualify him and not be duplicates. The NCAA disagreed. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Full_Rebar said:
I don't think either football or hoops has a set limit and that full scholarship and full qualifier = SU admission. Rumor was that Gross/Cantor had same formula for every sport, but that Syverud is moving away from that policy.

He might be moving away from that practice but I'm not sure he would do it year one when we've already been recruiting the players in that situation.

If the ncaa stamped Blair's ticket we all know he would've been admitted by SU admissions. I'm ok with that though.

PhatOrange said:
If the ncaa stamped Blair's ticket we all know he would've been admitted by SU admissions. I'm ok with that though.

Yes he would have because we get a few exceptions.

It's not like he failed out of HS. He had qualifying scores and GPA. The issue was his courses and NCAA "requirements".

Biology and Chemistry are the same type science? That is crazy. I am starting to doubt whether I would have been eligible.
Yeah, this couldn't be more from the truth. For example, I was a member of the National Honor Society, entered college with 15 credits already in pocket and aced Calculus 1 and Calculus 2 during my senior year in high school. My Chemistry scores were 25 pts above my biology scores. Yet, the NCAA, the almighty ruling authority, thinks these two courses are too similar?!?!? Wow.

Is it possible that this only wastes one year of eligibility and Blair gets three years in Orange?

I know in the past we've signed some "4 years to play 3" or 3 year JUCO players like Trey Dunk.

Is it possible that this only wastes one year of eligibility and Blair gets three years in Orange?

I know in the past we've signed some "4 years to play 3" or 3 year JUCO players like Trey Dunk.

He's got to find a JUCO willing to take him this late, and then let him redshirt an entire season.

Not too likely.

Yeah, this couldn't be more from the truth. For example, I was a member of the National Honor Society, entered college with 15 credits already in pocket and aced Calculus 1 and Calculus 2 during my senior year in high school. My Chemistry scores were 25 pts above my biology scores. Yet, the NCAA, the almighty ruling authority, thinks these two courses are too similar?!?!? Wow.

Yeah - super odd. The default "college prep" route through HS when I was a student included both - but it's not good enough for NCAA?