Saw a tweet that summed up the local fan base | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Saw a tweet that summed up the local fan base

100 dollars for 7 games. You want to bi!. . out out of towners for not coming up. Why don't you guys as a community look in the damn mirror!
It's 75% the community... It's the same rhetoric...

"Why doesn't SU schedule better schools?"

Because if we have a harder schedule you "fans" will say we suck because we lost to _________

It's become the thing to do in Syracuse, bash the team and the program for whatever. And before someone asks if I was there? No, but I still bought the 100$ season tickets... And I make sure they are used every single week.

Go look at the seating charts and prices instead of sitting there and complaining and not going yourself.
I drove down from Torono every home game including vs ND so whatever

100$ season tickets for seven football games...I just bought hockey tickets Montreal @ Buffalo for 276 each...

The local fan base is terrible. East Carolina has a better one.

CanadianSU said:
I drove down from Torono every home game including vs ND so whatever 100$ season tickets for seven football games...I just bought hockey tickets Montreal @ Buffalo for 276 each... The local fan base is terrible. East Carolina has a better one.

Tut have no idea what you're talking about. Even if every $99 season ticket was sold the place would look empty. If you were there, you'd know that. The issue is between the 20's.

rrlbees said:
Not as many people as you think even know about stubhub. Internet surfers do. And a lot of those cheap seats being sold by some other SU fan just replaced 1 SU fan with another. It doesn't add to the tickets sold.

The fact that people in CNY don't know about Stubhub and that "internet surfers" are some sort of fringe group on the outskirts of society is stunning and an indictment on CNY.

Tut have no idea what you're talking about. Even if every $99 season ticket was sold the place would look empty. If you were there, you'd know that. The issue is between the 20's.
Well I'll see for myself next week. But I just think when people think of "Syracuse Football" in town, there first thought is negative, not that we have a young team who has put on a good show for Syracuse University and work hard. These kids deserve a better crowd !

It's 75% the community... It's the same rhetoric...

"Why doesn't SU schedule better schools?"

Because if we have a harder schedule you "fans" will say we suck because we lost to _________

It's become the thing to do in Syracuse, bash the team and the program for whatever. And before someone asks if I was there? No, but I still bought the 100$ season tickets... And I make sure they are used every single week.
yeah, bash the program because it is bad. do we need to go back and post the stats against P5 teams at home for the last 15 years? because it is bad, like 25-60 type bad or something like that. we are supposed to fault people because they prefer not to spend money on a clown like gross and his shitty program?

Stevenson said:
The fact that people in CNY don't know about Stubhub and that "internet surfers" are some sort of fringe group on the outskirts of society is stunning and an indictment on CNY.

Explain how buying a $7 ticket in stubhub adds to the 26000 tickets sold.

Issue was all over not just between the 20's. Bottom line is Syracuse is a fair weather town. We win and win consistently fans will come back.

yeah, bash the program because it is bad. do we need to go back and post the stats against P5 teams at home for the last 15 years? because it is bad, like 25-60 type bad or something like that. we are supposed to fault people because they prefer not to spend money on a clown like gross and his shitty program?
I know, but i think Shafer is building something here... We will see, but is 35k too much to ask for?!

SUFan44 said:
Not the point that he's making.

And it was a bad point. Who said nobody in CNY knows about stubhub? Who said internet surfers were a fringe group? He made a leap. And the actual point was ignored. Buying a ticket on stubhub doesn't add to ticket sales. It's not SU selling them.

I'm a broke college student from Rochester, I'd go to more than 1-2 football games a year if I lived in the Syracuse area. I think our record the past 15 years has a lot to do with attracting people my age to the program, they either don't even know Syracuse plays Division 1 football or they just say oh yeah, they suck. I can probably count on two hands how many people of my age are Syracuse football fans.

And it was a bad point. Who said nobody in CNY knows about stubhub? Who said internet surfers were a fringe group? He made a leap. And the actual point was ignored. Buying a ticket on stubhub doesn't add to ticket sales. It's not SU selling them.

rrlbees said:
Not as many people as you think even know about stubhub. Internet surfers do. And a lot of those cheap seats being sold by some other SU fan just replaced 1 SU fan with another. It doesn't add to the tickets sold.

Those are your words.

Yes, it doesn't change the number of tickets sold but you were the one that said few people know about StubHub in CNY (which is bull honkey, by the way).

The product on the field will sell tickets - and it has been poor the last decade plus. Has nothing to do with games being moved, etc. Even schools who are good have games at neutral sites. And if you want to make an argument that we were moving home games to MetLife, I will counter by saying we wouldn't have been playing the USC's, ND's and Penn State's at home with the state of our program where it was in the Big East at that time.

Just want to chime in and note that I think the decision to give students free tickets when it was clear the gate sales and seasons would be well short of capacity was a good move and long overdue. The argument has raged on here before with a number of season ticket holders complaining that someone they knew got cheap tix off stubhub or promo and got better seats than they did for a game that was still in a half empty stadium...I don't get it...I think the ad should pull out all the stops to get people in the stands...give tickets away for all I care. I'd much rather sit in a near capacity dome and put up with a couple ebeneezer-squeezer-cant-wait-till-the-worms-eat-ya seasons holders (who I won't be able to hear cause the dome is rockin) then sit in a half empty cavernous concrete casket watching the program take its last desperate gasp. I've said it before but the University has a golden opportunity to leverage the Fort Drum relationship and bring a bus of GI's down for each game, complimentary tickets and seated together. Guarantee you'd still make money off of them on the markup for reeb alone.

I think Coyle is going to make a difference.

I think Shafer and his coaching staff will make a difference if they do enough to get extensions.

I think the new administration understands that the University has played a significant role in not creating enough buy in by the community and are working to repair as much damage as possible.

But I don't know how anyone could argue that the first two games weren't an embarrassment. Who cares why people don't come. Nice weather, leaf raking, weddings, kids sports, whatever. If the community can't come up with 40K for six games a year maybe it doesn't deserve a D1 football team.

SUFan44 said:
rrlbees said: Not as many people as you think even know about stubhub. Internet surfers do. And a lot of those cheap seats being sold by some other SU fan just replaced 1 SU fan with another. It doesn't add to the tickets sold. Those are your words. Yes, it doesn't change the number of tickets sold but you were the one that said few people know about StubHub in CNY (which is bull honkey, by the way). The product on the field will sell tickets - and it has been poor the last decade plus. Has nothing to do with games being moved, etc. Even schools who are good have games at neutral sites. And if you want to make an argument that we were moving home games to MetLife, I will counter by saying we wouldn't have been playing the USC's, ND's and Penn State's at home with the state of our program where it was in the Big East at that time.

Yep, those are my words. Which isn't what he or you said.

And the attendance issue is more than just wins and loses even if that's a big factor. It's also the donTion structure and yes those MetLife games. It's some of several things.

RoofBeam said:
I think Coyle is going to make a difference. I think Shafer and his coaching staff will make a difference if they do enough to get extensions. I think the new administration understands that the University has played a significant role in not creating enough buy in by the community and are working to repair as much damage as possible. But I don't know how anyone could argue that the first two games weren't an embarrassment. Who cares why people don't come. Nice weather, leaf raking, weddings, kids sports, whatever. If the community can't come up with 40K for six games a year maybe it doesn't deserve a D1 football team.

The community isn't the only fans that are supposed to attend. The community is about the only ones that do with some exceptions.

THANK YOU

The people bashing the local fan base and telling them "to look in the mirror " etc are completely missing the point. The locals on this board are the ones actually showing up every week. 90% of the locals who don't show up don't even know this site exists. There's a million reasons attendance has been atrocious the past few years. Winning and god awful marketing are the main two.

Yep, those are my words. Which isn't what he or you said.

And the attendance issue is more than just wins and loses even if that's a big factor. It's also the donTion structure and yes those MetLife games. It's some of several things.

If we had averaged 8 wins a year over the last 15 years we would have had 40K+ in the Dome on Saturday. Which is enough.

You can create any justification you want but winning will create demand, which will create a non-empty Dome.

SUFan44 said:
If we had averaged 8 wins a year over the last 15 years we would have had 40K+ in the Dome on Saturday. Which is enough. You can create any justification you want but winning will create demand, which will create a non-empty Dome.

Not even the same scenario. Huge difference between keeping a fan base and getting them back. Huge. And we still would be losing some even with 8 wins a year.

It's not people's job to go to the games. You go if you want to be entertained. But Syracuse football hasn't been entertaining for a long time. The people that you need to go are casual fans. And they will only go if it is an event. A lot of excitement. Something worth your money and time. And let's face it. we haven't been for a long time. It hasn't helped that every time we have made some head way, we have a home game where we play awful. people don't need an excuse not to go to the games. It's a choice. we have to have a product that makes you sad if you can't go to the game.

You pretty much nailed it. Most non locals don't realize that due to the end of the P Era and Grob there's pretty much a lost generation of fans. I can't tell you how many people I know that don't go to games because it's literally not something they think about regardless of the opponent or buzz.

Blasting those who don't attend on this board is pointless. There never gonna see it and it's not going to change anything because again most don't even know what we're talking about. If someone from SU went to Destiny during the game 50-75% of the people there wouldn't even know SU was playing.

The community isn't the only fans that are supposed to attend. The community is about the only ones that do with some exceptions.

I agree that it's a shared burden and the school and AD have done a lot to alienate locals and upstaters, which I've never agreed with.

But it's a private university that isn't within a major metropolitan city limit with a football team that hasn't had a very good season since 2001.

If you are banking on people that went to Cuse in NYC, DC, Boston, etc to fill the games against Wake Forest, you aren't going to ever be satisfied. It's not going to happen barring a major change in investment from the school and a series of 9 and 10 win seasons where we are getting national media coverage.

The school needs to mend ties to the locals and those within the semi-local I-81 and I-90 corridors.

They need more added value attractions and to make upstate NY folks feel welcome with or without families in tow.

I can tell you that you will not be getting the kids I went to school with that are in NYC to attend a game like wake forest in the Dome. It's not happening. And the school isn't even close to getting them in the numbers to fill the Dome.

I agree that it's a shared burden and the school and AD have done a lot to alienate locals and upstaters, which I've never agreed with.

But it's a private university that isn't within a major metropolitan city limit with a football team that hasn't had a very good season since 2001.

If you are banking on people that went to Cuse in NYC, DC, Boston, etc to fill the games against Wake Forest, you aren't going to ever be satisfied. It's not going to happen barring a major change in investment from the school and a series of 9 and 10 win seasons where we are getting national media coverage.

The school needs to mend ties to the locals and those within the semi-local I-81 and I-90 corridors.

They need more added value attractions and to make upstate NY folks feel welcome with or without families in tow.

I can tell you that you will not be getting the kids I went to school with that are in NYC to attend a game like wake forest in the Dome. It's not happening. And the school isn't even close to getting them in the numbers to fill the Dome.

What you just posted is pretty much what it will take to draw the casual fan back here as well. If your not gonna show up unless a lot changes why the hell would they.

MikeSU02 said:
I agree that it's a shared burden and the school and AD have done a lot to alienate locals and upstaters, which I've never agreed with. But it's a private university that isn't within a major metropolitan city limit with a football team that hasn't had a very good season since 2001. If you are banking on people that went to Cuse in NYC, DC, Boston, etc to fill the games against Wake Forest, you aren't going to ever be satisfied. It's not going to happen barring a major change in investment from the school and a series of 9 and 10 win seasons where we are getting national media coverage. The school needs to mend ties to the locals and those within the semi-local I-81 and I-90 corridors. They need more added value attractions and to make upstate NY folks feel welcome with or without families in tow. I can tell you that you will not be getting the kids I went to school with that are in NYC to attend a game like wake forest in the Dome. It's not happening. And the school isn't even close to getting them in the numbers to fill the Dome.

I agree with most of that. But on the other hand, there are several out of town posters here who used to go to almost every game. Now they are absent for almost every game. I know life such as kids gets in the way. But where are those that came after them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom