Say what you want about our coaches | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Say what you want about our coaches

Our last recruiting class is ranked 14th in the ACC. Not sure how that is going to make us competitive.
Wow I didn't realize we were 14th last year. This staff is not great at recruiting. I liked some of the freshman we brought in but last year's class was not highly rated.
This year's class is mediocre at best. Trying to make a C look like a B is hard for me. Wake even has 1 top 300 commitment. This staff filled out the class early but it is not a top 40 class.
I like McFarland, Ellison and Henderson a lot.

We have never received a verbal from an ESPN top 300 kid. We are the only BCS team to not do so.

Also, we came in 3rd in our division last year with almost all old BE recruits (and much lower rates classes as the last two).
We were 4-4 and won 3 of our 4 games scoring 23, 20, 12 points good luck expecting that to be sustainable in college football 2014.

Alsacs said:
We were 4-4 and won 3 of our 4 games scoring 23, 20, 12 points good luck expecting that to be sustainable in college football 2014.

Point is we were competitive with the teams that were recruiting better than we were. Teams that had a head start in the ACC.

I think Franklin, Ishmael and Phillips all end up an an ACC all conference team at some point in their careers.

People are just down on the coaches because of the season we just had. Last year at this same time most everyone was amped about our recruits.

I still am this year.

Point is we were competitive with the teams that were recruiting better than we were. Teams that had a head start in the ACC.

I think Franklin, Ishmael and Phillips all end up an an ACC all conference team at some point in their careers.

People are just down on the coaches because of the season we just had. Last year at this same time most everyone was amped about our recruits.

I still am this year.
We won 4 games, and we're competitive in a 5th the Pitt game. We were not competitive in the 3 other games.

Of course there are a couple of 3 star kids I love in last year's class. It was still ranked 13th in the ACC by ESPN last year after winning 7 games. This year's class has been filled out but it is not full of highly rated kids. I love several of the commits we have but this class is still bottom half of the ACC being nice. There are 9 ACC teams in the top 40 5 of them are in our division only Wake isn't.

This staff is average at recruiting which compared to the offensive staff this year looks great. Pull in some 4 star kids, a lot of high 3 stars and I would say this staff can recruit.
Anomander nailed it Marrone's last class before he left was in the right direction and then he left and we lost a lot of our higher kids.

Last edited:
were expecting to bring in 28 or 29 guys this class

TheCusian said:
Point is we were competitive with the teams that were recruiting better than we were. Teams that had a head start in the ACC. I think Franklin, Ishmael and Phillips all end up an an ACC all conference team at some point in their careers. People are just down on the coaches because of the season we just had. Last year at this same time most everyone was amped about our recruits. I still am this year.

I know I was much higher on last years class. I heard they changed their strategy on accepting commitments though. It seems to have effected this class imo. Last year we seemed to have best out more teams for recruits. This year we have a decent anount of no offer, or 1 offer kids.

We won 4 games, and we're competitive in a 5th the Pitt game. We were not competitive in the 3 other games.

Of course there are a couple of 3 star kids I love in last year's class. It was still ranked 13th in the ACC by ESPN last year after winning 7 games. This year's class has been filled out but it is not full of highly rated kids. I love several of the commits we have but this class is still bottom half of the ACC being nice. There are 9 ACC teams in the top 40 5 of them are in our division only Wake isn't.

This staff is average at recruiting which compared to the offensive staff this year looks great. Pull in some 4 star kids, a lot of high 3 stars and I would say this staff can recruit.
Amonander nailed it Marrone's last class before he left was in the right direction and then he left and we lost a lot of our higher kids.

If Zaire Franklin and Steve Ishmael were rated 4 stars like they should have been it would've changed the class rating. Ishmael was the top rated WR in Florida by most measures yet was a 3 star give me a break.

If Enoicy kept his 4 star rating from riv-als it changes the class rating. Rvls down graded him not only from 4, but from 4 to 2 stars.

Had Denzel Ward stayed committed to Florida or Michigan he would've been a 4 star. He sure had 4 star offers but chose Syracuse.

Steve Slayton - offers from Miami, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Mississippi, Mississipi State, Missouri, Nebraska etc...yeah I know 3 stars.

14th rated class? Whatever.

If Zaire Franklin and Steve Ishmael were rated 4 stars like they should have been it would've changed the class rating.

If Enoicy kept his 4 star rating from riv-als it changes he class rating. Rvls down grade him not only from 4, but from 4 to 2 stars.

Had Denzel Ward stayed committed to Florida or Michigan he would've been a 4 star. He sure had 4 star offers but chose Syracuse.

Steve Slayton - offers from Miami, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Mississippi, Mississipi State, Missouri, Nebraska etc...yeah I know 3 stars.

14th rated class? Whatever.
The players you listed along with AJ Long were the true freshman I loved. Last year's class was rated 13th.

This year's class is rated 14th and those 5 you listed above are great but 5 kids don't make a class.

This staff is okay at recruiting has been my point I don't think they are great has been my point.

Anomander nailed it Marrone's last class before he left was in the right direction and then he left and we lost a lot of our higher kids.

I'll be nice but if you think Marrone's last class was going to be any better than this 2015 class then you are smoking something. The kids we lost when he left - Gus Edwards, Zach Allen, Devan Carter, Malik Brown and LaRay Smith were a mixture of 2/3 stars and weren't top anything anywhere. The best according to the rankings was Gus and he wasn't top 300 or top 250. There wasn't a single 4 star in that class including all of the above mentioned Decommits. I'm not sure where this is coming from but it's wishful thinking at best.

And again, my comments are based "on paper". That's not to say the 5 of them wouldn't have become ACC all-conference or better down the road. But pulling statistics like "14th out of 14th" in the conference at xyz recruiting site is a paper statistic and it has nothing to do with what these kids do once they get here.

On paper, last year's class was head and shoulders above what anyone could have dreamed the 2013 class being even if it did stay intact.

The players you listed along with AJ Long were the true freshman I loved. Last year's class was rated 13th.

This year's class is rated 14th and those 5 you listed above are great but 5 kids don't make a class.

You don't understand how recruiting rankings work then. It's not just silly stars it's an assigned arbitrary numeric rating as well; a point system. If those 5 kids were rated where they should have been, the class finishes well in the top half of the ACC. So yes 5 kids does make a class.

I'll be nice but if you think Marrone's last class was going to be any better than this 2015 class then you are smoking something. The kids we lost when he left - Gus Edwards, Zach Allen, Devan Carter, Malik Brown and LaRay Smith were a mixture of 2/3 stars and were top anything anywhere. The best according to the rankings was Gus and he wasn't top 300 or top 250. There was a single 4 star in that class including all of the above mentioned Decommits. I'm not sure where this is coming from but it's wishful thinking at best.

On paper, last year's class was head and shoulders above what anyone could have dreamed the 2013 class being even if it did stay intact.
Fair opinion I think last year's class was solid don't get me wrong. I just don't see it as saying this staff can recruit. We had a good class for Syracuse standards but not a good class for a P5 team. We aren't going to outrécruit the top teams but we should be on par with Pitt, BC, WVU, Rutgers.

I'll be nice but if you think Marrone's last class was going to be any better than this 2015 class then you are smoking something. The kids we lost when he left - Gus Edwards, Zach Allen, Devan Carter, Malik Brown and LaRay Smith were a mixture of 2/3 stars and weren't top anything anywhere. The best according to the rankings was Gus and he wasn't top 300 or top 250. There wasn't a single 4 star in that class including all of the above mentioned Decommits. I'm not sure where this is coming from but it's wishful thinking at best.

And again, my comments are based "on paper". That's not to say the 5 of them wouldn't have become ACC all-conference or better down the road. But pulling statistics like "14th out of 14th" in the conference at xyz recruiting site is a paper statistic and it has nothing to do with what these kids do once they get here.

I definitely think that last class was shaping up to be better then what we have in this class. At very worst it's a close call.

Who exactly in this class do you see as a can't lose recruit? I'd give you Strickland, and Blair (and he didn't really have many other big offers), but then who?

You don't understand how recruiting rankings work then. It's not just silly stars it's an assigned arbitrary numeric rating as well; a point system. If those 5 kids were rated where they should have been, the class finishes well in the top half of the ACC. So yes 5 kids does make a class.
Well they weren't. ESPN rated them fairly. Of we love FL 3 star kids but Franklin/Ishmael were fairly rated.

Our staff did okay last year in relations to other P5 teams for Syracuse standards they were better. Among our peers this class wouldn't have been in the top half.

I listed the offers of every commit we have in this year's class and while I like some of the verbals our class is not highly rated and is rated 12th in the ACC by ESPN.

I definitely think that last class was shaping up to be better then what we have in this class. At very best it's a close call.

5 JUCO's, none of whom were heavily recruited (Trejo the only one with a P5 offer other than us), a Prep OT project that didn't even have another D1 offer, Provo and Hodge, solid Florida recruits, and then Wilson and Isaiah Johnson, both lightly recruited. Plus the 5 decommits.

Unless they were landing EBO and closing extremely strong down the stretch, I just don't see it. There's no way on paper that class is rated higher than the '15 class. And that's what this thread is talking about - not development of players after they hit campus, but being ranked 14th out of 14th by xyz recruiting site in the conference.

I definitely think that last class was shaping up to be better then what we have in this class. At very worst it's a close call.

Who exactly in this class do you see as a can't lose recruit? I'd give you Strickland, and Blair (and he didn't really have many other big offers), but then who?

Who can say for sure. Who was that kid last year? Franklin? Custis? One maybe two kids? I'd have not blinked if we lost Phillips and yet he's been superb.

Gus, Laray, Malik brown, Zach Allen they've not done jack squat in college but we sure were all bummed we lost them.

Who knows until it plays out.

Critical Zoidberg.jpg

Well they weren't. ESPN rated them fairly. Of we love FL 3 star kids but Franklin/Ishmael were fairly rated.

Our staff did okay last year in relations to other P5 teams for Syracuse standards they were better. Among our peers this class wouldn't have been in the top half.

I listed the offers of every commit we have in this year's class and while I like some of the verbals our class is not highly rated and is rated 12th in the ACC by ESPN.

They weren't because they were unfairly rated. Wake me up the next time a 1st team 5A all-state Florida wr with offers from Florida State, Florida and Miami is only a 3 star kid.

5 JUCO's, none of whom were heavily recruited (Trejo the only one with a P5 offer other than us), a Prep OT project that didn't even have another D1 offer, Provo and Hodge, solid Florida recruits, and then Wilson and Isaiah Johnson, both lightly recruited. Plus the 5 decommits.

Unless they were landing EBO and closing extremely strong down the stretch, I just don't see it. There's no way on paper that class is rated higher than the '15 class. And that's what this thread is talking about - not development of players after they hit campus, but being ranked 14th out of 14th by xyz recruiting site in the conference.

I don't really recall who was actually committed before he left. I didn't think we already had 5 JUCO's at that point. I just know the core of the class was very strong.

I just don't see how in this class is must have after the 2 I listed.

I absolutely loved the 2014 class. I thought they did an excellent job sticking out battles, and winning their fair share. I had high hopes. But I also was told they used a different strategy. In 2014 they had a list of top players and went after the top guys on that list and worked their way down. This year they supposedly had a list with a cut off, and anyone above the cut off they would accept a commitment from. For example if they had a list 1-30, and they made the cut off at 15, they would take 14 if he wanted to commit even if some of the top guys were still interested. I think we saw this happen in a bunch of cases where we potentially missed out on some very good kids who were interested in, and ended up with a few kids we ended up pushing off their commitment once we thought about it more.

Take it fwiw.

Who can say for sure. Who was that kid last year? Franklin? Custis? One maybe two kids? I'd have not blinked if we lost Phillips and yet he's been superb.

Gus, Laray, Malik brown, Zach Allen they've not done jack squat in college but we sure were all bummed we lost them.

Who knows until it plays out.

With that philosophy we should just sign 25 ho-hum kids we know we can get. I mean who knows until it plays out?

Phat, I'm not aware of the point system, and I'm not knowledgable about recruiting other than what I read here and see on the field. So you and tep624 should feel free to correct any misapprehensions.

As far as what I've read, the PS says our 2015 recruiting class is 48th in the nation and last in the ACC. Here's the link: http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...th_no_bowl_game_we_just_have_to_continue.html

Also, from the product on the field (albeit with lots of injuries), I can say without a shadow of doubt that we had a glaring talent deficit against every conference school we faced except WF. The rest of the way ... we couldn't pass, or defend the pass. And we couldn't run or defend the run. Oh ... and I almost forgot .. we got out-coached in nearly every game and special teams were routinely outplayed.

Even b/f Hunt was injured, after the EMU game I saw almost nothing to give me any hope. With few exceptions our receivers failed to get separation and got shut down (the exception being Fl St .. in which our receivers played well and our defense held its finger in the dike for most of the game). Our running game, our OL, our special teams ... all hopelessly dominated game in/game out. We played hard on defense, but without any offense to take off pressure, inevitably succumbed in the fourth quarter (several times to wheel routes which we were incapable of covering all year).

Lastly, in nearly every conference game I watched, our guys were lying all over the field at various points .. often because they got physically dominated, or dominated AND THEN HURT. It was a disaster.

So I'm not sure when we're going to start getting players that can compete ... but I can tell you that "last in the ACC" is exactly where we are now.

Last edited:
tep624 said:
5 JUCO's, none of whom were heavily recruited (Trejo the only one with a P5 offer other than us), a Prep OT project that didn't even have another D1 offer, Provo and Hodge, solid Florida recruits, and then Wilson and Isaiah Johnson, both lightly recruited. Plus the 5 decommits. Unless they were landing EBO and closing extremely strong down the stretch, I just don't see it. There's no way on paper that class is rated higher than the '15 class. And that's what this thread is talking about - not development of players after they hit campus, but being ranked 14th out of 14th by xyz recruiting site in the conference.

Not to mention informed guys in the program were saying last year's group was the best they'd had in 5+ years.

With that philosophy we should just sign 25 ho-hum kids we know we can get. I mean who knows until it plays out?

Who was a can't lose recruit last year at this time?

My only point was that can't lose recruits haven't done anything and can lose recruits have. I forgot you just started following recruiting.

reedny said:
Phat, I'm not aware of the point system, and I'm not knowledgable about recruiting other than what I read here and see on the field. As far as what I've read, the PS says our 2015 recruiting class is 48th in the nation and last in the ACC. Here's the link: http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...th_no_bowl_game_we_just_have_to_continue.html Also, from the product on the field (albeit with lots of injuries), I can say without a shadow of doubt that we had a glaring talent deficit against every conference school we faced except WF. The rest of the way ... we couldn't pass, or defend the pass. And we couldn't run or defend the run. Oh ... and I almost forgot .. our special teams players were routinely dominated by the other team's. Even b/f Hunt was injured, after the EMU game I saw almost nothing to give me any hope. With few exceptions our receivers failed to get separation and got shut down (the exception being Fl St .. in which our defense held its finger in the dike for most of the game). Our running game, our OL, our special teams ... all hopelessly dominated. We played hard on defense, but without any offense to take off pressure, inevitably succumbed in the fourth quarter (several times to wheel routes which we were incapable of covering all year). Lastly, in nearly every conference game I watched, our guys were lying all over the field at various points .. often because they got physically dominated, or dominated AND THEN HURT. It was a disaster. So I'm not sure when we're going to start getting players that can compete ... but I can tell you that "last in the conference" is exactly where we are now.

So much wrong in this post. Last year's class was ranked worse than this years. And there are some really good recruits in there who not only played but rose to the top and played better than the people they were replacing - as freshman. If this next class is as good as the last we can say we are trending up.

Last year we competed against peer schools and won a bunch (MD, NC State, BC, Wake)... With weaker recruits on paper or by ranking.

Finally - dropping every game into the the thoroughly dominated category is bunk. I'll give you Pitt, FSU, BC. The rest of the games we were competitive enough given our injury situation and starting a freshman QB. Good enough? No. But not near as bleak as you're painting.

Didn't erv have us and UCONN ? Wow... Goes to show you...

I trust our coaches more than people on a fan board when it comes to recruiting, sorry.

Just like how McDonald couldn't recruit ?

Ishmael, nuff said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom