Scholarships Available | Syracusefan.com

Scholarships Available

LeMoyneCuse

All American
I've seen it posted a number of times that we have a "limited number of available scholarships" for this recruiting class.

That, my friends, is not true.

There are at least 18 vacant scholarships after our current seniors graduate. There are currently three vacant slots, plus 15 scholarship seniors (including Jarrett and Anene, who were given schollies for their senior year.) If Pugh leaves, that's 19.

We have 8 commits and have space for 11 more. Plenty of work to do and plenty of slots to fill by signing day.

I believe that one of the January enrollees can count towards last year's class.

I believe that one of the January enrollees can count towards last year's class.

I think all early enrollers count towards last year's class. We know Allen and Johnson are coming early. With only three vacant schollies, I wonder if that influenced Curtis' decision not to come here.

I think all early enrollers count towards last year's class. We know Allen and Johnson are coming early. With only three vacant schollies, I wonder if that influenced Curtis' decision not to come here.

You're only allowed to assign a max of 25 recruits to a recruiting class. The Class of 2012 already has 24 out of 25 scholarships accounted for.

Only one of the Jan enrollees can be assigned to last year's class, and the rest will be assigned to the Class of 2013. It's really just for accounting purposes only. We can take as many Jan enrollees that can get here. Marrone has hinted that there will be several.

Graduating Seniors are not counted towards the 85 limit during Spring football.

We can take as many Jan enrollees that can get here. Marrone has hinted that there will be several.

I thought early enrollees had to be the class before. Thanks for the correction.

I thought early enrollees had to be the class before. Thanks for the correction.

Can be counted either way. Schools like to use up all the previous class schollies first. Think "FIFO". :D

By my count we have 82 scholarship players on the roster right now. (Not counting walkon scholarship kids)

6 true seniors
7 redshirt seniors

13+3 = 16 openings barring no defections.

True Senior | Alec Lemon
True Senior | Carl Cutler
True Senior | Zach Chibane
True Senior | Brandon Sharpe
True Senior | Shamarko Thomas
True Senior | Siriki Diabate

5th year Senior | Marcus Sales
5th year Senior | Ryan Nassib
5th year Senior | Deon Goggins
5th year Senior | Dan Vaughan
5th year Senior | Corey Boatman
5th year Senior | David Stevens
5th year Senior | Lou Alexander

By my count we have 82 scholarship players on the roster right now. (Not counting walkon scholarship kids)

6 true seniors
7 redshirt seniors

13+3 = 16 openings barring no defections.

True Senior | Alec Lemon
True Senior | Carl Cutler
True Senior | Zach Chibane
True Senior | Brandon Sharpe
True Senior | Shamarko Thomas
True Senior | Siriki Diabate

5th year Senior | Marcus Sales
5th year Senior | Ryan Nassib
5th year Senior | Deon Goggins
5th year Senior | Dan Vaughan
5th year Senior | Corey Boatman
5th year Senior | David Stevens
5th year Senior | Lou Alexander

Boatman was already gone. Lichtenstein is graduating, plus Anene and Jarrett were given vacant scholarships for this season. That's 15 players plus three vacants. So 18 at a minimum.

81 on schollie (or 83 if you count Anene and Jarrett).

68 players returning. If Curtis retires and Pugh leaves early, we're down to 66.

66 = room for 19 newbies.

Boatman was already gone. Lichtenstein is graduating, plus Anene and Jarrett were given vacant scholarships for this season. That's 15 players plus three vacants. So 18 at a minimum.

I did this at the beginning of the year so I still had Boatman AND Curtis in my numbers.

So would appear we have 18 roster openings barring any defections.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing because I'm not getting the warm and fuzzies right now about recruiting - and at this point feel we might hit the BList. HOWEVER because we don't have rivals/scout dedicated to covering Syracuse recruiting - and they have NO inside info like I see with other school recruiting sites - there is a lot of unknown. Would believe we'll start seeing a lot of names pop up (Philly DE Justin Moody, juco C John Miller) as the visits start rolling.

HOWEVER because we don't have rivals/scout dedicated to covering Syracuse recruiting - and they have NO inside info like I see with other school recruiting sites - there is a lot of unknown. Would believe we'll start seeing a lot of names pop up as the visits start rolling.

That's the thing. I have the feeling we're going to pick up at least one lineman that none of us have ever heard of before because he was in nobody's recruiting database. Doesn't mean there won't be more quality, non-reach players coming in.

That's the thing. I have the feeling we're going to pick up at least one lineman that none of us have ever heard of before because he was in nobody's recruiting database. Doesn't mean there won't be more quality, non-reach players coming in.

The trend in years past with Marrone is for "quality" names to pop up late that we had no idea we were in on. Desir, Eskridge, Manley, Hilliard come to mind. There's others -some of whom didn't commit here but visited.

I did this at the beginning of the year so I still had Boatman AND Curtis in my numbers.

So would appear we have 18 roster openings barring any defections.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing because I'm not getting the warm and fuzzies right now about recruiting - and at this point feel we might hit the BList. HOWEVER because we don't have rivals/scout dedicated to covering Syracuse recruiting - and they have NO inside info like I see with other school recruiting sites - there is a lot of unknown. Would believe we'll start seeing a lot of names pop up (Philly DE Justin Moody, juco C John Miller) as the visits start rolling.

Add John Miller to your list of visitors this weekend...

The trend in years past with Marrone is for "quality" names to pop up late that we had no idea we were in on. Desir, Eskridge, Manley, Hilliard come to mind. There's others -some of whom didn't commit here but visited.
we were on desir, esk, and manley from the beginning, and had offered hilliard before his season started. None of those guys were really out of left field.

we were on desir, esk, and manley from the beginning, and had offered hilliard before his season started. None of those guys were really out of left field.

Desir maybe not so much but they were names that didn't pop up for public consumption until later. November, December, January etc. But obviously like everybody else we recruit kids for a long time.

Hilliard committed to Pitt originally. His subsequent decomitt and commitment to Syracuse was completely out of left field.

Desir maybe not so much but they were names that didn't pop up for public consumption until later. November, December, January etc. But obviously like everybody else we recruit kids for a long time.

Hilliard committed to Pitt originally. His subsequent decomitt and commitment to Syracuse was completely out of left field.
He was committed to Pitt but we had been a finalist when he first committed and continued to recruit him throughout the process. It's not like we offered him on January 1st and he decided to decommit and come here

He was committed to Pitt but we had been a finalist when he first committed and continued to recruit him throughout the process. It's not like we offered him on January 1st and he decided to decommit and come here

I know the Hilliard deal but overall I'm not talking about getting on kids late. I'm talking about new names popping up late because rivals/scout have never reported on them before.

There are a lot of kid we're out their recruiting and visits we'll surely get but nobody is aware of them yet.

I know the Hilliard deal but overall I'm not talking about getting on kids late. I'm talking about new names popping up late because rivals/scout have never reported on them before.

There are a lot of kid we're out their recruiting and visits we'll surely get but nobody is aware of them yet.
Absolutely. And, wasn't it reported weeks ago that Marrone had mentioned that recruiting for the 2013 class was almost complete? If that is the case, then we must have some "silent verbals" (hate that term) or that we are in great shape with quite a few players that we are not even aware of yet.

I agree with you, I was just stating the facts. I think better examples would be MPB, Foster, Foy, Mungwa (man i wish he stayed), Bromley, etc

As I recall it, Brantley decommitting created a DL vacancy for Hillyard.

As I recall it, Brantley decommitting created a DL vacancy for Hillyard.
No, we would have taken both. Brantley was a DT and Hilliard had the grades issues which led to him going to Milford. No one knows if he'll ever show up here but I hope he does.

No, we would have taken both. Brantley was a DT and Hilliard had the grades issues which led to him going to Milford. No one knows if he'll ever show up here but I hope he does.

Hilliard left Pitt the moment Graham was gone ... we had room at the Inn and were a good fit ...

December 8th is a make or break date for Orange recruiting. Wonder who shows up that day that may be a big surprise?

I've seen it posted a number of times that we have a "limited number of available scholarships" for this recruiting class.

That, my friends, is not true.

There are at least 18 vacant scholarships after our current seniors graduate. There are currently three vacant slots, plus 15 scholarship seniors (including Jarrett and Anene, who were given schollies for their senior year.) If Pugh leaves, that's 19.

We have 8 commits and have space for 11 more. Plenty of work to do and plenty of slots to fill by signing day.
Aton of offers and interest including the great kids in the JC ranks that can expedite assistance in certain need positions. A huge and important class for Doug. He must maintain the momentum he has sustained.couchburn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom