Sean Tucker: Buccaneers | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Sean Tucker: Buccaneers

"He hasn't worn it except on the sidelines at practice, but Tucker's jersey number is a source of personal pride — he'll wear 44, a number famous in Syracuse football lore, having been worn by legendary running backs Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little, among others...
..."It's definitely a legendary number in the Syracuse community," said Tucker, who also ran track at Syracuse between his final two seasons, running the 60 meters in 6.9 seconds. "There's a legacy behind that number, and for me to be able to wear it in the NFL, I want to try to carry on that tradition the best that I can, to be the best version of myself that I can."

SU botched that one. I don't buy for a minute that he didn't want to wear it here.

"He hasn't worn it except on the sidelines at practice, but Tucker's jersey number is a source of personal pride — he'll wear 44, a number famous in Syracuse football lore, having been worn by legendary running backs Jim Brown, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little, among others...
..."It's definitely a legendary number in the Syracuse community," said Tucker, who also ran track at Syracuse between his final two seasons, running the 60 meters in 6.9 seconds. "There's a legacy behind that number, and for me to be able to wear it in the NFL, I want to try to carry on that tradition the best that I can, to be the best version of myself that I can."

SU botched that one. I don't buy for a minute that he didn't want to wear it here.
but many posters here said that he's only wearing 44 because that's the only # TB had to give him and not because he wants to!

He's getting a lot of good press. Good for him. It would be great if he makes a splash, could be an awesome story about an UDFA making it big after teams passed on him in draft. He generally was considered a Top 5 RB before the health issue.

but many posters here said that he's only wearing 44 because that's the only # TB had to give him and not because he wants to!
Could you reference the post numbers, please? Granted, I don’t think that I’ve read every post in this thread, but that would’ve caught my eye.

Could you reference the post numbers, please? Granted, I don’t think that I’ve read every post in this thread, but that would’ve caught my eye.
I think it was #463. It may look familiar.

That was a really great article. And Sean’s comments about wearing 44 was all class and it’s clear that SU will always be a part of him.
It's also clear that Tucker never "didn't want" to wear 44. I think the complication of the retirement plus the fact he could potentially garner more NIL money with the 34 led him that way pragmatically, but that he probably never stopped wanting that number.

It's also clear that Tucker never "didn't want" to wear 44. I think the complication of the retirement plus the fact he could potentially garner more NIL money with the 34 led him that way pragmatically, but that he probably never stopped wanting that number.

If he could get more NIL money wearing 34 than 44, then we're doing it wrong.

I think it was #463. It may look familiar.
Post #463 answers why he wasn’t wearing 34 for the Bucs. Nowhere in that post does it state that 44 was the only number available. Nice try though.

Post #463 answers why he wasn’t wearing 34 for the Bucs. Nowhere in that post does it state that 44 was the only number available. Nice try though.
Except that it was in response to a post suggesting his choice to wear 44 showed he wanted it at SU. So, if you're saying you weren't implying anything beyond the fact 34 wasn't available, I'll believe you. In the context of the conversation, it did not appear that way to me.

Except that it was in response to a post suggesting his choice to wear 44 showed he wanted it at SU. So, if you're saying you weren't implying anything beyond the fact 34 wasn't available, I'll believe you. In the context of the conversation, it did not appear that way to me.
I think it’s cool that he wants to wear 44 in the same way that I think it’s cool that Zaire Franklin wears 44. Did he want to wear it at 44? Sean himself stated otherwise. Whether you believe him or not is up to you. It’s possible to want to forge your own legacy with your own number while respecting the historic significance of 44 at Cuse. Maybe 44 was his first choice with the Bucs. Maybe he saw that his college number wasn’t available and choosing 44 was a logical alternative. I don’t know.

Frustrating as a fan. 44 hasn’t been relevant for most of my life and I’m 30. I understand the history and the significance of it, but they’re just letting the number die IMO.

Sean Tucker was worthy enough to wear 44 and would’ve been a perfect opportunity to bring the number back to life.

I think it’s cool that he wants to wear 44 in the same way that I think it’s cool that Zaire Franklin wears 44. Did he want to wear it at 44? Sean himself stated otherwise. Whether you believe him or not is up to you. It’s possible to want to forge your own legacy with your own number while respecting the historic significance of 44 at Cuse. Maybe 44 was his first choice with the Bucs. Maybe he saw that his college number wasn’t available and choosing 44 was a logical alternative. I don’t know.
I think it’s become an urban legend that Tucker didn’t want to wear the number at SU. It unfortunately due to extreme short-sightedness wasn’t available to him and it was in his best interest to talk up 34. But at least the number was “reserved” for a kid that will never even play P5 football if he wanted to :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom