(Semi OT) Where'd you get your username? | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

(Semi OT) Where'd you get your username?

I happened to live in NYC when I created the username. I'm still here, but at different points in my life I might have been BrockportOrange or ChicagoOrange. I may soon be IndianaOrange.

Left the US with my wife at age 55 and sailed from Maine to VZ for six years on our 41' ketch. Anchored at all the Caribbean Islands. Liked Roatan best of all & still here after 8 years. We watch all the games on a 55" TV via Direct TV. (Sipping a cool rum & pineapple, of course). My dorm was 149 Stadium Place, across from Sadler...near the entrance to Archbold Stadium.

Last edited:
a few months after my father died, I went camping and four wheeling with friends in Utah, where I discovered this natural formation called moqui balls:

moqui_marbles.jpg

the local indians believe that the balls contain the souls of the departed. I snatched one to remind me of my recently departed father, and have been attached to them and the name ever since. I named a dog Moqui, who also died a couple of years ago, and now I have a moqui ball for him, too. I am looking at both of them sitting on my desk as I write this.

at the end of the day, though, I just think it is a cool, unusual & distinctive handle.

Where did moqui go? Haven't seen a post from him in a long time.

SU fan living near Austin, TX.

I just went through the whole thread and you may have mentioned that already. Maybe.

Don't feel bad, I almost did the same thing but I went through and saw my own very boring post on how I got my name.

CuseFaninVT said:
Where did moqui go? Haven't seen a post from him in a long time.

Hasn't posted in 6 months. Not sure why. He last posted in a Pikachu thread.

While I love the Orange, the sports team that is (was) my greatest passion will always be the Montreal Expos.

Think a few poor seasons is difficult as a fan? The best way I can explain being a hardcore Expos fan is this. You were on death row for about 15 years. Your low paid legal aid assistant was trying to constantly save you from strong prosecutors with endless resources. And that legal aid was successful at first, only to drag out your existence for 10 mostly depressing years. Then you were killed.

--------

The first message board I joined was an Expos board and I picked the name of an obscure middle infielder for no real reason -- it just came to mind -- Junior Noboa. People called me JN, so that is the name I started to use for other boards.

The Expos board actually was extremely busy (late 90's to early 2000's). Many active and funny posters, the serious stathead types. some Montreal media posted there using their real name, Dustin Hermanson (Player who actually posted on the net he had been traded away before it was announced to the media). A fellow mod there at the time was Jonah Keri, before he expanded his horizons into sports writing.

By the way, F the Washington Nationals.

Last edited:
a few months after my father died, I went camping and four wheeling with friends in Utah, where I discovered this natural formation called moqui balls:

moqui_marbles.jpg

the local indians believe that the balls contain the souls of the departed. I snatched one to remind me of my recently departed father, and have been attached to them and the name ever since. I named a dog Moqui, who also died a couple of years ago, and now I have a moqui ball for him, too. I am looking at both of them sitting on my desk as I write this.

at the end of the day, though, I just think it is a cool, unusual & distinctive handle.
What is the geologic origin of the balls?

I just went through the whole thread and you may have mentioned that already. Maybe.

Don't feel bad, I almost did the same thing but I went through and saw my own very boring post on how I got my name.

LOL. I wasn't sure if I had or not. When at work not much time to scan however many pages.

Our paths cross - I spent three of my four years at the Cuse living in Lawrinson (the other year was at Watson, which was then a frosh only dorm). Obviously, I really liked Lawrinson as I did not even leave it to live at the frat house !!
freshman year on Watson 3E, soph and junior year on Lawrinson 11, in corner room down the hall from Bill Smith. graduated in '71.

DSR are my initials, the y is included to indicate my syracuse fanhood, and I heard 44 is relevant to Syracuse tradition or something. Added the zero because, well I guess when I made this as my AIM screen name years ago I had some reason.

Update:

Go Ham was the name of my intramural teams, basketball and football, senior year (2012) at Syracuse. We won both championships and only lost 1 game total. Ham stands for "Hard as a mother f'r".

Good times.

Mine's pretty close to self-explanatory: my address for my Jr & Sr years at SU, '86-'88.

(I was in Lawrinson for Fr & Soph years).

If not for Keith F%$#@g Smart and Pat F%$#@g Dye (what are the odds that they'd both have the same middle name? :D)
- this might have been the best of times to be at Syracuse.

This dates back about three board incarnations. First guy from Los Angeles. In July, after 18 years in California, we moved to Colorado Springs. so its a bit of a misnomer now.

Update:

Go Ham was the name of my intramural teams, basketball and football, senior year (2012) at Syracuse. We won both championships and only lost 1 game total. Ham stands for "Hard as a mother f'r".

Good times.
I felt dumb after I finally figured it out recently.

Mine is pretty simple, term from way back, south side briefcase= case of beer