Class of 2017 - SF Michael Porter Jr (MO) to Missouri | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 SF Michael Porter Jr (MO) to Missouri

Probably not but are there any updates on this kid? I would love to see Porter choose us. We are really aiming high in 2017. Our offer list is impressive among the ESPN60. Maybe we can do something near what Duke has done w its 2016 class. Going to be a great war w Duke in 2016-17 season.

We need to get Moyer giving his friend "Porter" a call or text and keep plugging Cuse to him. From now to 2017 class, it would be sweet to get Green, Diallo,and Porter, and add a big. :) what a wish list, huh?

We need to get Moyer giving his friend "Porter" a call or text and keep plugging Cuse to him. From now to 2017 class, it would be sweet to get Green, Diallo,and Porter, and add a big. :) what a wish list, huh?
He already did that last year and JB could hardly bother to call him and show any interest because you should know the rest...

He already did that last year and JB could hardly bother to call him and show any interest because you should know the rest...
Not showing any interest in many cases if not allies to failure Its very obvious that many of these kids want to feel "the love" that might be missing in their lives. Its sad but true.

Pretty incredible if true... you would think a phone call and invitation to visit takes all of what, 20 minutes? Call a kid, talk to him about his season, talk about SU's Final Four run, where he sees the team going the next 2-3 years. I don't know why JB isn't calling every top 40 player in 2017 right now. You never know who's just waiting for a call if you don't pick up the phone and dial.

Pretty incredible if true... you would think a phone call and invitation to visit takes all of what, 20 minutes? Call a kid, talk to him about his season, talk about SU's Final Four run, where he sees the team going the next 2-3 years. I don't know why JB isn't calling every top 40 player in 2017 right now. You never know who's just waiting for a call if you don't pick up the phone and dial.

Coach has been doing this a long time though. I'm not being argumentative, but there has got to be some rhyme and reason to who is and is not contacted or recruited heavily. Francis, you clearly have more knowledge of this. Is it simply that JB throws a line in the water and if a guy bites right away then great but otherwise he couldn't be bothered? I almost can't believe it is that simple with something as complex as recruiting.

Coach has been doing this a long time though. I'm not being argumentative, but there has got to be some rhyme and reason to who is and is not contacted or recruited heavily. Francis, you clearly have more knowledge of this. Is it simply that JB throws a line in the water and if a guy bites right away then great but otherwise he couldn't be bothered? I almost can't believe it is that simple with something as complex as recruiting.
It's more about location and how realistic of a get the player is for JB. Fans just have to face the fact that unless a player outside of the northeast wants to visit SU, then as long as JB is coaching he's not going to waste his time to fly out and recruit that player no matter how good he is. He never went in Ohio to recruit Moyer, never cared to fly into West Virginia(Huntington Prep) and recruit Andrew Wiggins when Tyler Ennis suggested that he could help, dropped Trevon Duval quicker than a sprint service phone call when he moved to Texas. Switch all of those players locations to the northeast and then I would believe that JB would've tried his best to recruit those players hard. JB isn't going to and basically at this point has no desire to outwork the PayPal Cal, Bill Self, Coach K, and Sean Miller's of the world for recruits that are outside of the northeast. Somebody had called our assistants garbage over at the main board, but lately those "garbage assistants" have done a good job serving up JB a host of good players for JB to close on when the opportunity is there. 2015 class besides the Diagne debacle is a nice group to build on, and I think the 2016 class will be the same. So far in 2017, GMac has done a great job serving his boss two terrific guards in Quade Green and Hami Diallo to hopefully close the deal on. Plus Red and Hop are ready to eat this spring/summer as well. National recruiting will most likely return when the Hop era begins, but until JB steps down we'll just be an east coast recruiting monster.:)

It's more about location and how realistic of a get the player is for JB. Fans just have to face the fact that unless a player outside of the northeast wants to visit SU, then as long as JB is coaching he's not going to waste his time to fly out and recruit that player no matter how good he is. He never went in Ohio to recruit Moyer, never cared to fly into West Virginia(Huntington Prep) and recruit Andrew Wiggins when Tyler Ennis suggested that he could help, dropped Trevon Duval quicker than a sprint service phone call when he moved to Texas. Switch all of those players locations to the northeast and then I would believe that JB would've tried his best to recruit those players hard. JB isn't going to and basically at this point has no desire to outwork the PayPal Cal, Bill Self, Coach K, and Sean Miller's of the world for recruits that are outside of the northeast. Somebody had called our assistants garbage over at the main board, but lately those "garbage assistants" have done a good job serving up JB a host of good players for JB to close on when the opportunity is there. 2015 class besides the Diagne debacle is a nice group to build on, and I think the 2016 class will be the same. So far in 2017, GMac has done a great job serving his boss two terrific guards in Quade Green and Hami Diallo to hopefully close the deal on. Plus Red and Hop are ready to eat this spring/summer as well. National recruiting will most likely return when the Hop era begins, but until JB steps down we'll just be an east coast recruiting monster.:)

We could be looking at an ENORMOUS class of 2017.
  • Coleman graduates
  • Roberson graduates
  • Malirchi leaves for NBA [probable]
  • Lydon leaves for NBA [possible]
  • 5th year transfer to join team for 16-17 season [possible]

That sets up a monster class of 2017, especially with Green, Diallo, Tucker, Walker, Bamba, Richards all in play.

Something that isn't being mentioned but is important, is that JB is doing more and more recruiting specifically to a type of player he sees fitting into his 2-3 zone. Some players that we, as fans, may really like and may be highly rated, just may not fit into JB's defensive mold. Over the past few years, he has definitely become more defensive minded. He has been less tolerant of offense with no defense.

Also, because of the zone, there are always going to be some players who have no interest in playing it. You can recruit all you want, and they may even go along for the ride, for a while, but ultimately, they don't want to play that zone. I'm sure you have handlers out there who steer kids away.

I am not trying to make excuses for JB. It is clear that he will not go to some of the lengths that other top coaches will go to get a kid. The dude is 70, so I can definitely understand why, but as a fan who gets tired of these other schools getting these top kids, it can be frustrating. But, as someone who has been around a few blocks over the years, my advice is to not let it get to you. Nothing you can do or say will make it change, so you might as well accept it. Look on the bright side, eventually he will retire, and you can always hope that Hop reverses that trend. Hope is eternal. JB isn't.

I, for one, am not looking forward to JB retiring. It has been fun while it has lasted, and I'm not ready for the fun to end.

We could be looking at an ENORMOUS class of 2017.
  • Coleman graduates
  • Roberson graduates
  • Malirchi leaves for NBA [probable]
  • Lydon leaves for NBA [possible]
  • 5th year transfer to join team for 16-17 season [possible]

That sets up a monster class of 2017, especially with Green, Diallo, Tucker, Walker, Bamba, Richards all in play.
The only scholarships locked in are
2015: Howard, Lydon (Maybe)
2016: Moyer, Battle (Maybe)

It's possible that we would have 2 scholarships locked up following the 2016-2017 season.

Recruiting outside of SU's area (Northeast) seems like a complicated game these days. In the past, the staff has traveled for talent that has interest (Etan Thomas comes to mind, DC, Jason Hart, Hop, etc..). But they've also probably been burned a bunch of times expending resources on recruits who are too far away ... parents don't want to travel, the recruit realizes we're actually in UPSTATE NY, bla bla bla. This year especially ... resources are strained for reasons we all know. I agree with you that phone calls don't take any time. And I don't have the inside knowledge to know if they're not done due to lack of effort, or avoided for a reason (Thomas Bryant comes to mind). Giving the staff the benefit of the doubt, I have to assume that JB uses his assistants to put in time to see if the recruit is serious, before he starts buying plane tickets. In some ways this makes sense ... he can only go on so many visits during contact periods so he probably limits in-person's to higher likelihood prospects. And we all know that some kids play games in this day and age ... parent-agents, posses, handlers ... kids without genuine interest trying to use SU to leverage attention from other schools. These are the kids I hope we don't waste time with ... whether they're "regional" or "national".

All in all .. a tough business that that is often confusing from the outside. That's what makes your insights so helpful.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response, Francis. Appreciate it.

So is the feeling that Gerry is a good recruiter? I get the feeling he is, which is maybe surprising since he doesn't seem to have major ties to any AAU programs and never coached outside of SU. It is a major plus if he is good because the road will undoubtedly get more difficult when JB retires until Hop can get some of his own big wins to sell.

I understand not flying around the country for every Tom Dick and Harry, but jesus, come on, you can't bother for the #3 recruit?

HoustonCuse said:

So is the feeling that Gerry is a good recruiter? I get the feeling he is, which is maybe surprising since he doesn't seem to have major ties to any AAU programs and never coached outside of SU. It is a major plus if he is good because the road will undoubtedly get more difficult when JB retires until Hop can get some of his own big wins to sell.

I am hoping GMac has some pull in PA, because I want Green, Bamba and Walker in 2017 and Cam Reddish in 2018, all from PA.

IS everyone missing the fact that Porter and the point guard Trae Young (sp?)have been connected as a potential package deal for some time???? Many articles about the pair wanting to continue playing together beyond AAU. We have not even sniffed at Young, If we looked at Young, then I'd think we had serious interest level in Porter. To date, no mention ever of SU and Young.

Not here to apologize for less-than-100% effort on the trail (of which there is certainly some proof recently), or to challenge the acumen of the plugged-in recruitniks, but... think about what is being implied—if not outright proclaimed—in some of these posts about our staff, and specifically, about our HC.
geez folks

Gerry is a very solid recruiter at the moment, with the potential to be much better in the future. Unlike Red, he didn't come in as an assistant with plenty of connections to major HS/AAU programs from various states. He had to grind much harder than others and lay his groundwork the old fashion way. What works in his favor is that he's our youngest assistant and can relate to most of the youngins out there. Most of the players that he has recruited have seem to take a real liking to him and it extends outside of b-ball talk. So far he's responsible for getting Ron Patterson, Matt Moyer, and possibly Dembele. Obviously Patterson wasn't a good look, Moyer has potential to be a real nice building block on future teams, and Dembele could end up being a real gem for us. He had us in play for Mike Porter and Trevon Duval, but we know the stories on those situations. Right now 2017 could be a big year for him because he has us out in front for Green and Diallo. Hard to complain about his recruiting efforts so far.

I disagree with your posts and pod cast on the Porter and Duval recruitment. I don't agree that JB isn't interested or too this or too that. He recruits regionally, always has. So does just about every other Coach. Cal is an exception not the rule. Kansas has to recruit nationally as they don't have the regional talent base. They have the glamour and history to do it. JB's process is to select a small number of high possibility prospects. Ones that he has personally met and to his own satisfaction determined they are able to play and contribute at SU, are seriously considering SU, are in a position to commit to SU rather than being steered away by outside influences and will in fact make it to SU if they commit, has proven successful. Not always right but the second winningest Coach, Hall of Fame, etc. No different than most other programs.

Check the rosters of UNC and Villanova. All regional players. Roy, Jay and JB must know something.

Last edited:
I disagree with your posts and pod cast on the Porter and Duval recruitment. I don't agree that JB isn't interested or too this or too that. He recruits regionally, always has. So does just about every other Coach. Cal is an exception not the rule. Kansas has to recruit nationally as they don't have the regional talent base. They have the glamour and history to do it. JB's process is to select a small number of high possibility prospects. Ones that he has personally met and to his own satisfaction determined they are able to play and contribute at SU, are seriously considering SU, are in a position to commit to SU rather than being steered away by outside influences and will in fact make it to SU if they commit, has proven successful. Not always right but the second winningest Coach, Hall of Fame, etc. No different than most other programs.

Check the rosters of UNC and Villanova. All regional players. Roy, Jay and JB must know something.
In the 80's Syracuse regularly got players from California, that is hardly regional. I know it was a different time, but the Syracuse brand was a big enough draw to go anywhere. JB is a hall of famer. We still play in front of more people than anyone and are in the best conference in country. It hasn't always been JB's philosophy to recruit regionally, it has likely evolved over time due to a number of shady and unsuccessful attempts. But, coming off a Final Four (two in four years) and approaching his final season, this is the time to pitch the class of 2017 on what a ride it will be, no matter where they are from. Especially if they have shown some interest, like Porter, Knox and Duval. I trust the staff, but I would love for the class of 2017 to be JB's best ever.

You aren't seriously arguing that UNC only recruits regionally, are you?

In the 80's Syracuse regularly got players from California, that is hardly regional. I know it was a different time, but the Syracuse brand was a big enough draw to go anywhere. JB is a hall of famer. We still play in front of more people than anyone and are in the best conference in country. It hasn't always been JB's philosophy to recruit regionally, it has likely evolved over time due to a number of shady and unsuccessful attempts. But, coming off a Final Four (two in four years) and approaching his final season, this is the time to pitch the class of 2017 on what a ride it will be, no matter where they are from. Especially if they have shown some interest, like Porter, Knox and Duval. I trust the staff, but I would love for the class of 2017 to be JB's best ever.

We are nearly on the same page. We all want to win and watch SU players who make winning a spectacular show. But, mostly winning. The eighties were different because of the emergence of the Big East, which so dominated the college basketball scene during that era. Elite players that were very interested in SU from anywhere were recruited and some made it to the dome. Even from the west coast. Way before that, UCLA dominated everybody with players nationwide including a tall skinny kid from NYC. Times changed and there is now regional parity and kids and their families want to stay local. Coaches want to use their recruiting time efficiently, and Super one and done's have handlers in the eight grade. And, because of the numbers of players leaving early coaches actually have to recruit far more players than in the good old eighties or before. Then four year players were the norm. Let me make clear that if there is another Derrick, John W, Pearl, Carmelo, Gerry, Rosie, Sherman, Billy, Wesley, Dion (apologies to those I missed) or the best ever, Dave Bing; I want him. Don't care from where. But, in his last go around I think SU is best served by JB playing to his strengths.

LOL

Joel Barry, FLORIDA, Marcus Paige, IOWA, Justin Jackson, Texas.

Hell, let's look at frequent victim of abuse around here, UConn.

Brimah, Florida, Daniel Hamilton, California, Rodney Purvis, North Carolina. I'm sorry, are you trying to say Syracuse is a more regional program than UConn?

And looking at this year, UConn bringing in a guy from Florida, Georgia, and California. UNC bringing in another Florida player.

OK, Bob.

1)If you have been paying attention to my post and pods as you claim, then you would know that I'm not saying for JB to abandon the regional recruits and just go after the national guys. What I've been saying is that SU has a whole lot going for them when talking history, facilities, conference, etc. So when on occasions if a certain elite talent outside of the region expresses interest, it wouldn't hurt and shouldn't be all that difficult for us to get involved and give it our best shot. It shouldn't matter if Mike Porter lives in the midwest or if Trevon Duval moves out to Texas. Obviously if the recruitment got to a point where the staff realizes that they're wasting time then cool back off and move on. Imagine if JB had his current mindset back when Derrick Coleman was in HS, because the last time I recalled, DC wasn't a regional recruit for a coach that has always "recruited regionally" as you say.

2)Most top programs don't limit themselves to regional recruiting only, so your statement is flawed. Nova has always been a regional program. LOL at UNC being all regional. The program sells itself nationally. Roy won his first chip with Sean May(Indiana), Rashad McCants(New Hampshire), and Marvin Williams(Washington) leading the way. The second chip came with Tyler Hansbrough(Missouri), and this recent final four team had Paige(Iowa) and Jackson(Texas). People might hate me using them as an example, but UConn's four championships are mixed with key contributors from all over the country as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom