SF/Napa | Syracusefan.com

SF/Napa

Marsh01

Living Legend
Heading to SF and Napa in early may. I've been to Frisco before but it was in 2001 so its been a while. Have never been to Napa.

Staying on Jones Street in SF (think its near Fishermans Wharf). Any restaurant suggestions while we are there? That goes for Napa as well if anyone has been.

Not sure about Napa but SF's chinatown is a solid bet for some authentic and really tasty options. Check out R&G Lounge, or Guilin Noodle House on Taraval and 19th Ave.

I had an absolutely amazing sub at a place called "Bite", I believe it was in the financial district.
We did a tour of Robert Mondavi winery that was pretty cool.

For your Napa search.

The wife started a new job in the Bay Area and has been in San Francisco twice in the last couple of months. I’ll ask her about restaurants.

I had an absolutely amazing sub at a place called "Bite", I believe it was in the financial district.
We did a tour of Robert Mondavi winery that was pretty cool.
We are doing mondavibas well. Good to hear!

For your Napa search.

The wife started a new job in the Bay Area and has been in San Francisco twice in the last couple of months. I’ll ask her about restaurants.
Awesome. Thank you!

Heading to SF and Napa in early may. I've been to Frisco before but it was in 2001 so its been a while. Have never been to Napa.

Staying on Jones Street in SF (think its near Fishermans Wharf). Any restaurant suggestions while we are there? That goes for Napa as well if anyone has been.

One thing we did in Napa was schedule one of the private bus tours. I recall you could find them all over. They pick you up and drop you off right at your hotel (along with other strangers who become your best friends by the end). They pick the wineries, some were popular, some were off the beaten path. Usually a lunch at one where you buy a bottle and do your own picnic. They end at one of the champagne spots, which have great views.

Wine often tastes better to me when I'm not worried about having to drive.

One thing we did in Napa was schedule one of the private bus tours. I recall you could find them all over. They pick you up and drop you off right at your hotel (along with other strangers who become your best friends by the end). They pick the wineries, some were popular, some were off the beaten path. Usually a lunch at one where you buy a bottle and do your own picnic. They end at one of the champagne spots, which have great views.

Wine often tastes better to me when I'm not worried about having to drive.
yea we are trying to decide on the driving/uber thing. Two wineries a day for 3 days. Probably going to bite the bullet and just do an uber everywhere

I concur with the Chinatown rec. Good Mong Kok is one of the best dim sum places in the country and you can walk about 3 minutes over to Vesuvio to eat it and have a couple drinks where Kerouac and friends used to hang out next to City Lights bookstore.

If you are into beer whatsoever, Russian River is a pilgrimage for most folks and it's right in Santa Rosa. Pliny was one of the original sought after IPAs with Headytopper before great beers existed all over the place.

I concur with the Chinatown rec. Good Mong Kok is one of the best dim sum places in the country and you can walk about 3 minutes over to Vesuvio to eat it and have a couple drinks where Kerouac and friends used to hang out next to City Lights bookstore.

If you are into beer whatsoever, Russian River is a pilgrimage for most folks and it's right in Santa Rosa. Pliny was one of the original sought after IPAs with Headytopper before great beers existed all over the place.
Definitely want to hit RR

yea we are trying to decide on the driving/uber thing. Two wineries a day for 3 days. Probably going to bite the bullet and just do an uber everywhere
The wife and I did a winery bike ride tour. It was awesome. Self paced and they ship your wine back to the bike shop so you can grab it at the end of the day. Pretty sure we went out of Calistoga Bikeshop.

We also did a hike in the Bothe-Napa Valley State Park if you need some detox time.

I had a very enjoyable meal here. They have their own farm where they get most of their produce. It's a pretty incredible restaurant.

State Bird Provisions is also a really fun experience.

It may be too far away for you but Redwood National Park is on my bucket list. With the climate issues we're having, they may not be with us forever.

It may be too far away for you but Redwood National Park is on my bucket list. With the climate issues we're having, they may not be with us forever.
i was thinking that as well

I was there for a bit, albeit a while ago. Here are a few thoughts...

Over the GG Bridge you go...

Go to Sam's Anchor Cafe in Tiburon for breakfast/brunch. Nice view of SF from across the Bay.

Hit the Muir Woods for a quick walk among the redwoods.

Onward to Napa

V Sattui Vineyard - In St. Helena - You can grab a loaf of nice bread and a bottle of wine in the shop, then sit on picnic tables and enjoy them.

On the way back, eat dinner in Sausalito. Again, nice view of the bay and SF.

Have heard a mixed bag of reviews in terms of the state of things in San Fran. Some have said it's blown out of proportion, others (who live there) have told me it's bad, others have said tourists can avoid it and you'll be fine. I was just in So Cal and it was fine, but there's definitely a lot of homelessness and pockets of stuff (some scary) to avoid. We had a fantastic trip and I'm sure you will too!

I was there for a bit, albeit a while ago. Here are a few thoughts...

Over the GG Bridge you go...

Go to Sam's Anchor Cafe in Tiburon for breakfast/brunch. Nice view of SF from across the Bay.

Hit the Muir Woods for a quick walk among the redwoods.

Onward to Napa

V Sattui Vineyard - In St. Helena - You can grab a loaf of nice bread and a bottle of wine in the shop, then sit on picnic tables and enjoy them.

On the way back, eat dinner in Sausalito. Again, nice view of the bay and SF.

Have heard a mixed bag of reviews in terms of the state of things in San Fran. Some have said it's blown out of proportion, others (who live there) have told me it's bad, others have said tourists can avoid it and you'll be fine. I was just in So Cal and it was fine, but there's definitely a lot of homelessness and pockets of stuff (some scary) to avoid. We had a fantastic trip and I'm sure you will too!
appreciate it! Gonna stick to the basics in SF and then head to Napa for a more relaxing stay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom