Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think he has a similar game to Mal, with the one notable exception that Mal didnt withdraw his name from the nba draft and AW did. But correct he if im wrong, he worked out for 3-4 nba teams before he withdrew his name. I would think far less than 10% of all college players ever get that type of opportunity...

But your KJ comparison might not be a bad one in terms of talent level, KJ couldnt really play the 2 tho of course

Mal is good comparison. I think White has good deal of experience so hopefully he will be consistent.

Mal is good comparison. I think White has good deal of experience so hopefully he will be consistent.
I would think he would be as good a candidate as Lydon , Gillon, Battle to lead us in scoring. I have to agree with these other posters. If he doesnt come im gonna be real bummed. Time to stop posting lol

Maybe after all these years MW is becoming a true fan and not just a beat writer. This is like something Donna would write.

I can tell you with certainty that this post is cringe-worthy for any journalist, especially veterans like Mike and Donna. Print journalists are trained out of the gate in J school to be agnostic and not fans, especially if covering a beat. BTW, covering a beat is a coveted job for a reporter--developing sources who you trust and who trust you separates those writing ho hum stories from those breaking fully sourced new pieces.

I can tell you with certainty that this post is cringe-worthy for any journalist, especially veterans like Mike and Donna. Print journalists are trained out of the gate in J school to be agnostic and not fans, especially if covering a beat. BTW, covering a beat is a coveted job for a reporter--developing sources who you trust and who trust you separates those writing ho hum stories from those breaking fully sourced new pieces.

Mike is the greatest!

From Mike Waters article:

"Help where it's needed most
If there's any area where Syracuse is most suspect heading into next season, it's perimeter shooting. Syracuse lost its top three 3-point shooters off last year's Final Four team in Michael Gbinije, Malachi Richardson and Trevor Cooney.

Other than Tyler Lydon, a 6-9 forward who made just over 40 percent of his 3-point attempts last season, Syracuse is lacking an established outside threat. Colorado State transfer John Gillon has shot the ball well in the past, but only made 33 percent of his shots from beyond the arc last season.

White made 41 percent of his 3-point shots for the Huskers last year, making 87 out of 211 attempts. Compare his numbers to those of Richardson. In his lone year at Syracuse before heading off to the NBA, Richardson made 35 percent of his threes, hitting 79 out of 224."

Jake said:
Mike does his job extremely well. If the fence line is a perfectly objective viewpoint, Mike is a step or two on the side of fandom. He in no way shape or form takes random shots at the program. He asks the questions that need to be asked and he reports them as objectively as possible. It absolutely blows my mind that anyone could think he has a grudge or purposely writes stories with a negative slant.
Agreed. If you think Mike if anything but a knowledgeable, professional journalist, you don't know anything about journalism.

We are very lucky to have him covering Syracuse basketball.

normaliswear said:
Am I the only one that checks this thread every time I get a new post notice hoping that THIS time will be the one that confirms he committed?

I probably checked this thread 15 times today. Before lunch.

I work with sports media for a living, and Mike is absolutely a pro's pro and as good as it gets.

Anyone who bashes him for anything needs to have their head examined and find another interest.

Some guys who are in his position attempt to be investigative reporters rather than beat writers. The TMZ generation (Cohen, for instance) look to be inflammatory just for that sake. It has driven up the ratings but watered down the product to the point where everyone is looking for the next #HotTake. Drives me absolutely bonkers.

Waters is the antithesis of this. He's honest, fair, critical when he needs to be but most importantly, fair. And quite honestly, Bailey might have the talent and the values to be the football program's Mike Waters. Which would be a very good thing.

I work with sports media for a living, and Mike is absolutely a pro's pro and as good as it gets.

Anyone who bashes him for anything needs to have their head examined and find another interest.

Some guys who are in his position attempt to be investigative reporters rather than beat writers. The TMZ generation (Cohen, for instance) look to be inflammatory just for that sake. It has driven up the ratings but watered down the product to the point where everyone is looking for the next #HotTake. Drives me absolutely bonkers.

Waters is the antithesis of this. He's honest, fair, critical when he needs to be but most importantly, fair. And quite honestly, Bailey might have the talent and the values to be the football program's Mike Waters. Which would be a very good thing.

Great, great post. Although I do not work in journalism, I do have an undergrad degree in it (not from Syracuse University:(). Agree with, and respect the heck out of, your post and point. I would give this x100 liked if I could. Nice take on it.

"Yahoo Sports" is the first thing that came to mind with this comment (in red). Happy that Mike doesn't succumb to this. Unfortunately, I've seen a few articles in the PS that were below their usual standards ... the one about Dion being a Muslim and disrespecting the national anthem was one. PS reprinted it .. and there was later a retraction. But still, I thought it was poor journalism and I called them on it. A few other times, mostly in regard to the NCAA sanctions, the PS went overboard -- repeating sensational subjects in one sport across the entire website. But I freely admit some excess sensitivity where SU is the subject. Mike has always been a class act.

Last edited:

I find sports radio is the epitome of this. They literally just try to incite riots. Maybe its always been like this but these guys are such jack asses these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom