Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 70 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was bored today and watched all but the last 4 minutes of Nebraska vs Miami game from the ACC B1G challenge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgYzgW3gSgs&feature=youtu.be
This was not one of AW3’s best games, but I think you can get a good feel for the type of player he is.

As RF and many other people have said on this forum. He is NOT a shooting guard. He barely if ever puts the ball on the floor in the first 36 minutes of this game I counted 23 dribbles all together. 12 in the first half and 11 in the second. (To compare Angel Rodriguez dribbled the ball 26 times in a possession of this game) He is more of a DNic or Sutherland type player, except smaller, but stronger. I did not see him turn the corner once while dribbling. He takes at most 2 dribbles and then pulls up, passes, or turns it over. So I agree that he is NOT a shooting guard and I would be surprised if he played a minute at the 2 all year. He spends about 85% of the time on the perimeter and they didn’t pass him the ball much in this game. He is not great at getting his own shot.

However, the other team never left him. He will definitely help spread the floor.

I have seen a few people on here say that he was the best player on that team. After watching this game and looking at the stats I would say he was the second best player behind Shavon Shields. Shields always draws the other team’s best defender.

Also White was their best rebounder. On free throw shots he was always down on the block. There was a time where Jakri was the only one for Miami lined up for a rebound and White switched with their center so that he could be the one to box him out.

I do believe he will be a very good player for us at the 3, and will help spread the floor. He will give us a lot of options! Hopefully we get him!

I like the cheerleader challenge at the 9:40 mark. The Canes smoked the Cornhuskers.

I was about to give up on AW3 until the 1:27 mark of the video (about minute left to play in the game). AW3 gets a nice steal, runs the length of the floor being chased and makes a nice layup past one of the canes. It was nice play. However, much of the game he was just okay. Maybe he needs to lose 10-15 pounds so he has an extra gear of speed. He seems like he could certainly play the 2 spot for us. And definitely the 3 which I think is his natural position based on his size/weight/speed. He's okay and certainly would make contribution for our team.

I like the cheerleader challenge at the 9:40 mark. The Canes smoked the Cornhuskers.

I was about to give up on AW3 until the 1:27 mark of the video (about minute left to play in the game). AW3 gets a nice steal, runs the length of the floor being chased and makes a nice layup past one of the canes. It was nice play. However, much of the game he was just okay. Maybe he needs to lose 10-15 pounds so he has an extra gear of speed. He seems like he could certainly play the 2 spot for us. And definitely the 3 which I think is his natural position based on his size/weight/speed. He's okay and certainly would make contribution for our team.
Yeah, ACC/B1G Challenge is only full game I could find, really wish I could see AW3's game at the end of the year... That elimination game vs Maryland in B1G Tourney for ex...

Of course that was one of the plays I missed haha. Maybe I'll finish regulation and OT tonight since I have nothing to watch on Sunday nights now that GoT is over.
I would agree that could not have have one of his best games. They didn't look to get him the ball much at all.
I just didn't see the shooting guard skills so I don't think losing weight will help if anything he could put on a few more and play the 4 when Lydon is in. Not that there is a huge difference between 3 and 4 in our system. But Lydon seems like a better ball handler than White. Maybe White can play more of a stretch 4 in our system?
Regardless he gives us options... Not sure him playing the 2 is one of them, but I hope I'm wrong.

Now you know why he's leaving. They didn't look to get him the ball much and there is only one game of his entire season that anyone bothered to put on YouTube and that was probably done by a Miami fan. And Miami has just about the worst fanbase in the ACC.

Of course that was one of the plays I missed haha. Maybe I'll finish regulation and OT tonight since I have nothing to watch on Sunday nights now that GoT is over.
I would agree that could not have have one of his best games. They didn't look to get him the ball much at all.
I just didn't see the shooting guard skills so I don't think losing weight will help if anything he could put on a few more and play the 4 when Lydon is in. Not that there is a huge difference between 3 and 4 in our system. But Lydon seems like a better ball handler than White. Maybe White can play more of a stretch 4 in our system?
Regardless he gives us options... Not sure him playing the 2 is one of them, but I hope I'm wrong.

AW3 needs to learn from Lydon how to be aggressive. Lydon is a beast around the basket. He's really an amazing player.

Now you know why he's leaving. They didn't look to get him the ball much and there is only one game of his entire season that anyone bothered to put on YouTube and that was probably done by a Miami fan. And Miami has just about the worst fanbase in the ACC.

But their cheerleaders almost have as much talent as ours.

Shields was their leading scorer 16.8 vs 16.6... Not sure how Nebraska had 2 players putting up 16.5+ but they did.

Shields seemed a bit of ball hog on offense during the Miami game. There seemed lots of opportunities for him to kick it out but he always went to the rim.

I looked at some of their box scores. He played great against Nova and Maryland. Laid some stinkers against some of the other good teams they played, and has some good games against others. Hell, he'll probably be a Cooney type character. Who can absolutely win you a game and then the next day be 2-10 and lay an egg. On the team JB is building though, we might be able to just send another guy out there on those 2-10 nights. Of course, if he trusts a shooter, he will leave them out there because he knows 2-10 can turn into 6-14 and a win very quickly.

I looked at some of their box scores. He played great against Nova and Maryland. Laid some stinkers against some of the other good teams they played, and has some good games against others. Hell, he'll probably be a Cooney type character. Who can absolutely win you a game and then the next day be 2-10 and lay an egg. On the team JB is building though, we might be able to just send another guy out there on those 2-10 nights. Of course, if he trusts a shooter, he will leave them out there because he knows 2-10 can turn into 6-14 and a win very quickly.

I have to believe the way our coaching staff works, our tradition, the way year after year our players play unselfishly, AW3 would do very well in our program. I think he would get more opportunities to shoot. If he's playing well good things will happen. I still think the amount of playing time each player will get will be determined by how well each player plays on defense more than anything else.

Single guy? :p

Worse, married.

palm.jpg

WARNING FOLKS! After being away from the board for a length of time, there were many pages of this thread I hadn't read, and I decided to catch up on 15+ of them, and wrote a good number of replies during that time. It's kind of like some of Dave's work, except it was a Sunday night and everyone was busy due to not being at work or paid to post, so there weren't a lot of posts to break up my epic monologue. If you generally don't like my posts, you may wish to scroll through them(I actually do care about folks and it isn't my intent to rile anyone, although that seems to happen enough on here with even average posters, let alone me. I realize it's a lot at once). To everyone else, I hope you find at least something in my labor of love that you enjoy, and/or forces you to smile against your will. :)

(I'm really in no hurry for him to sign, because the board will return to being dead other than playing time discussion which will return the to proper forum). Go Cuse, and come AW3!!

I was pretty stoked 2009-10, 2010-11, and 2011-12. Those were really good years. I think the 2009-10 season I was Orange drunk all through December.

I was pretty stoked those years too, but a lot of it(and my drunkeness) had nothing to do with the Orange. ;)

They do have very pretty cheerleaders there. However, we've had some very good talent the last few years! I think we have a chance.

Indeed they do. For anyone that wants to compare ours, you can check out a month subscription to Orange All Access, and you'll occasionally see some routines in the place of commercials, or the twisting "S" they mostly use as the placeholder.

And the line I bolded reminds me of this line(I fast forwarded it to the correct spot)

Last edited:
"Actively preparing"?Are they making room in the trophy case?bThey have a jersey and number reserved for him? Preparing statement for Jimmy telling us not to get excited. Jimmy has done this for his entire career. Don't expect much If nothing good happens you won't be disappointed. If they blow everyone out he becomes a super coach. This is pure Jimmy and its worked for a long time.

I love your posts, and draw inspiration from them! I needed a smile and you delivered. I also was wondered the same thing about how they were actively preparing, and was trying to picture it in my mind, but unfortunately I was too sober to come up with much creative. Sobriety is like my kryptonite. I think you just inspired me to make a sig.

On the jersey number though, I imagine they are making arrangements for "3".

Last edited:
Agreed, we look to be loaded. Last time that I felt we were legit 10 deep was 2012.

Scoop, Triche, Joseph, Fair, Melo, MCW, Waiters, Southerland, Christmas, Keita. All those guys could play.

White fills a bunch of holes...a SF, backcourt depth if needed, and another 3 point shooter. We appear to have all bases covered.

When I lived in Hawaii, I believe I saw a movie with that title, except "White" was replaced with their word for such, "Haole".

Last edited:
No clue if Gillon was actually promised a starting role, but in my Q & A with him, he said: "I always have seen myself as a starter. I make the most of it when I do come off the bench but this is my last year and I want to have the best role I can. In my eyes that's being a starter and (playing) big minutes."

Maybe next time you could ask him, and tell him ravenous fans on a message board you frequent are very curious? ;)

The important question is walk-on Shaun Belbey going to give the number 3 jersey so AW3 feels loved?

Wouldn't it be funny if that was one of AW3's sticking points about going somewhere? I mean he did coax a teammate at Nebraska into surrendering the number. What if Belbey realizes this is his one opportunity to be relevant, and won't capitulate until some of his demands are met? What if the stalemate nudges White to somewhere with an open 3?

Or if Moyer already has secured the jersey, what if he doesn't wish to relinquish? Not all of us can remember what it's like to be newly post-adolescents in short pants.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors