Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 83 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not rule out White playing SG, if really depends how quick he is on top of the Zone, big question will be if Gillon or Battle start at PG. I think this will be starting lineup. Battle/White/Lydon/Roberson/Coleman.
I think AW could do for SU in 2016-17 what Luke Hancock did for Louisville in 2013 (it won't be at SG).

less than 100 pages until commitmentment

giphy.gif

Very legit point, no question, but how many pieces had played together in 2003? By March they had played together plenty. you never know

Yup, hard to know. Experience helps. But having a team where the pieces fit together because the players skill sets compliment each other well and a lot of the guys have high bball IQ's like in 2003 works too.

That's the biggest potential flaw IMO. And I'm including experience under that umbrella, as I think it lends itself to chemistry.
Also...How is that any different from Duk? They have so many key freshmen coming in but for me the bigger prob with duk is who will play pg? When has K ever had tremendous success without a stud point guard? Kennard as a pg? Tripper as a pg? Freshman Jackson? Not convinced on any of them. The most likely seems Jackson , i watched him in the utah game against Battle where he was dominant. But imo he was more of a 2 guard/wing.

Same thing goes for SU next year, if we get consistent pg play, imo we should spend a lot of time in top ten. But who will it be? Gillon, Howard, Battle....?

Lol... I think all here are wishing for the same things. I don't care who plays where if helps cuse win games. Play Gillon at 5 and PC and the point if it brings a win for all I care. The same debate gets boring... we'll all see come the season and winning is the only concern.

I'm tired of all the cockamamie theorizing. Let's just land this kid, and then worry about the rest. Having a top 10 caliber team next year won't be "boring."

Last edited:
White must be weighing PT. There is no doubt that if he wants to make va major run cuse is the choice. His concern has to be how much PT does he see and will he be featured.

I think if White comes here, the guys that lose are Gillon and Howard. Howard goes from third guard to fourth, so he gets hurt the worst. But I think White has the skill that is more needed than Gillon. Yes, we need an experienced PG who can score, but how badly do we need a 2G who can hit the spot up three?

I see White stealing maybe 1o minutes a game from Gillon. Gillon goes from 30-35 minutes a game to 20-25 if White comes here. We need what White does more. Battle can get up and down the floor with the ball in his hands, just like Gillon.

Only Rico can consistently shoot the three. Gillon will be OK, but he's not going to make 2 or 3 a game, every game. White can do that. That opens everything else up. Lydon is not really a spot up guy, so much as he is a great pick-and-pop guy.

I think if White comes here, the guys that lose are Gillon and Howard. Howard goes from third guard to fourth, so he gets hurt the worst. But I think White has the skill that is more needed than Gillon. Yes, we need an experienced PG who can score, but how badly do we need a 2G who can hit the spot up three?

I see White stealing maybe 1o minutes a game from Gillon. Gillon goes from 30-35 minutes a game to 20-25 if White comes here. We need what White does more. Battle can get up and down the floor with the ball in his hands, just like Gillon.

Only Rico can consistently shoot the three. Gillon will be OK, but he's not going to make 2 or 3 a game, every game. White can do that. That opens everything else up. Lydon is not really a spot up guy, so much as he is a great pick-and-pop guy.
Gillon, freshman and soph year .395 and .394 from 3. Plus he is a 80% + free throw shooter. jr year he dropped to .333% from 3. White freshman and soph years from 3, .28% and .32% He hit .41% his jr year. from the free throw line, first two years, White .62% and .50% In his jr year White hit .76% Gillon never shot free throws as poorly as White's best year. Don't decide the minutes just yet. And White doesn't seem that he can (or wants to) pass the ball. White will also pull a lot of time at the 3. He rebounds the ball very well.

No need for Lyden to start. He plays 3 positions. He will get plenty of minutes. Neither Gillon nor White came here to not start. As long as the wins pile up everyone will be happy.

I'm with RF on this one. White isn't a 2, and it's not even close. He plays the Mali role on offense which is all that matters. He will still be up top on O, as a spot up shooting option. On D, he's in the back of the zone, and absolutely perfect for it. He's not playing up top when it comes to the 2-3.

White doesn't effect Gillon. The only way he does, is if JB was planning on playing Tyus at the 3 in spurts with Gillon and Howard up top. The consenus seems to be that White can't really play the top of the zone, and if it's true, then JG and Howard have nothing to worry about.

White effects Roberson. With that said, there's still 80 minutes available on the "wings" - 28 to White, 28 to Lydon, 24 to Robey; Lydon gets 5mpg at C.

Personally, I hope we can get away with White playing at the top for at least 5 mpg, that will really balance the minutes out. The thing is, I could see the majority of our games with our best players being White, Lydon, Robey and Battle. It would be a shame if only 2 of Lydon/RObey/White can play at a time.

The thing I'm excited about this year, is i'm not really worried about foul trouble a whole lot. We haven't gone 10 deep in forever.

Where you headed beadle? I'm heading up to the Moosehead Lakes Region to a cabin without phone or internet. (And am very happy about it)
Bethel, which is on Route 2 about 20 miles from Gorham, NH. We have our own little lake. The cabin belongs to my 90 year old mother in law, and the extended family has been going there for 23 years. The "no tech" was set up deliberately so that all the kids could have a real vacation in nature. We have had as many as 25 people in that place! But this year, I think 16.

Have a wonderful time! I must finish packing . . . . . So excited!!!

I'm with RF on this one. White isn't a 2, and it's not even close. He plays the Mali role on offense which is all that matters. He will still be up top on O, as a spot up shooting option. On D, he's in the back of the zone, and absolutely perfect for it. He's not playing up top when it comes to the 2-3.

That's a good way to break it down. White will be a perimeter player on O, a back of the line player on D. Agree 100%.

White doesn't effect Gillon. The only way he does, is if JB was planning on playing Tyus at the 3 in spurts with Gillon and Howard up top. The consenus seems to be that White can't really play the top of the zone, and if it's true, then JG and Howard have nothing to worry about.

White effects Roberson. With that said, there's still 80 minutes available on the "wings" - 28 to White, 28 to Lydon, 24 to Robey; Lydon gets 5mpg at C.

Personally, I hope we can get away with White playing at the top for at least 5 mpg, that will really balance the minutes out. The thing is, I could see the majority of our games with our best players being White, Lydon, Robey and Battle. It would be a shame if only 2 of Lydon/RObey/White can play at a time.

The thing I'm excited about this year, is i'm not really worried about foul trouble a whole lot. We haven't gone 10 deep in forever.

Haven't posted in awhile, missed this board.

I just can't imagine Roberson getting less than 30 minutes. I just can't see it.
I imagine white would eat up 5 at sg also. Plus what about moyer and thompson? Maybe Moyer eats 5-10 at SG instead. I think he is going to surprise quite a lot of us. Maybe Lydon gets 10 at center though.

The good thing is if White comes we have the depth to really press for very very long periods barring we find that 4th guard. That would be a amazing sight to see, and really help with the minutes issues. But in order for that to happen either Howard needs to take a slim step up when Battle is resting defensively or we need to find one of our forwards as a guard. And yes we can press with Lydon and Chuckwu playing center imo. Maybe even Thompson.

Last edited:
Haven't posted in awhile, missed this board.

I just can't imagine Roberson getting less than 30 minutes. I just can't see it.
I imagine white would eat up 5 at sg also. Plus what about moyer and thompson? Maybe Moyer eats 5-10 at SG instead. I think he is going to surprise quite a lot of us.

The good thing is if White comes we have the depth to really press for very very long periods barring we find that 4th guard. That would be a amazing sight to see, and really help with the minutes issues. But in order for that to happen either Howard needs to take a slim step up when Battle is resting defensively or we need to find one of our forwards as a guard. And yes we can press with Lydon and Chuckwu playing center imo. Maybe even Thompson.

I would agree that if Roberson presents as Dr Jekyl, 30 minutes is earned. But if he reverts to Hyde ("If I had anyone else...), JB will sit him regardless of his standing as an academic senior. JB DOES have someone else this year and Robie needs to stay focused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom