Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 85 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roberson was 8.4 pts, almost 9 rebs, this past season, so you aren't projecting much of a jump. We won't be as perimeter oriented, and Roberson may get more opportunities than when Cooney, G and Richardson were the bulk of the offense. But Roberson needs to add a dimension to his offensive game. Damone always had a jump shot; it would be a nice surprise if Roberson has found one as a senior.
If Roberson does not add a dimension, he could lose minutes with the addition of White, and the added depth we have in the frontcourt.

In reality Roberson has the potential to be better and more effective and yet still have his stats go down due to reduced workload.

Roberson was 8.4 pts, almost 9 rebs, this past season, so you aren't projecting much of a jump. We won't be as perimeter oriented, and Roberson may get more opportunities than when Cooney, G and Richardson were the bulk of the offense. But Roberson needs to add a dimension to his offensive game. Damone always had a jump shot; it would be a nice surprise if Roberson has found one as a senior.
If Roberson does not add a dimension, he could lose minutes with the addition of White, and the added depth we have in the frontcourt.

Funny thing is that Roberson needs only modest improvement to average a double double. Think about that. How many guys have we had average a double double? And this a guy a lot of people are saying needs to get his minutes cut. If he has no "unplugged" games, he will be a beast.

He does and when he was open and fired without hesitation it looked pretty good even if the trajectory was a bit flat. That said he has had that for 3 seasons and it never came to fruition, plus when you add in his low FT shooting percentage it makes it seem rather unlikely. I'd love to see it happen but in the heat of the game Roby doesn't have faith in his own jumper which is painfully obvious by how hesitant he is to pull the trigger 90% of the time.
I would love to see his head coach give him a hug and put his arm around him and say "hey man, I believe in you, take those jumpers..." Oh wait...

I would love to see his head coach give him a hug and put his arm around him and say "hey man, I believe in you, take those jumpers..." Oh wait...
We might feel warm and fuzzy, but it wouldn't bring the best out of TR on the court.

On the rebounding note, did anyone notice last year how we seemingly went from an awful rebounding team to an above average team. To me in watching the games all year we seemed to understand our lack of height and started tipping the ball to at least keep it alive more and more as the year went on. The thing about the zone is that we always have more guys around the lane and we seemed to be quite successful in securing the rebound with a secondary guy that may not have had great position. Not sure if this was being taught or if it was just coincidence but it was working.

Yeah, that's a good point. I guess I was thinking more about his consistency and the nature of his offensive game. I think he could add a bit of a jumper and add a little consistency due to maturity and confidence. I really don't see him losing minutes as much as I see him expanding his game a bit. Regardless, it will be interesting to watch.

On the rebounding note, did anyone notice last year how we seemingly went from an awful rebounding team to an above average team. To me in watching the games all year we seemed to understand our lack of height and started tipping the ball to at least keep it alive more and more as the year went on. The thing about the zone is that we always have more guys around the lane and we seemed to be quite successful in securing the rebound with a secondary guy that may not have had great position. Not sure if this was being taught or if it was just coincidence but it was working.

Great point. It took a while but eventually everyone started tipping the ones they couldn't get and everyone seemed prepared to go get the tipped balls. It was still a weakness but the team did its best to minimize it by seasons end.

Also probably an emphasis on "team" rebounding at the end of the year, where everyone seemed to be going after everything and good things happening because of that.

Funny thing is that Roberson needs only modest improvement to average a double double. Think about that. How many guys have we had average a double double? And this a guy a lot of people are saying needs to get his minutes cut. If he has no "unplugged" games, he will be a beast.

I know people think his "un-plugged" games are simply a matter of Roberson's attitude and effort. Maybe. But sometimes opponents are strong inside and keep Roberson from getting free, getting put-backs etc, that he can get against other opponents. To avoid those down games against stronger defenders, he needs that jump shot. And, when Roberson isn't able to be effective against stronger defenders, JB will have the luxury of different line-ups.
I don't feel he needs his minutes cut, but the make-up of the team is different, especially if we add White.

Grad transfers intra-conference? Never heard of it. Seems like it could be a problem.

They don't have any intraconference penalty like the ACC and other conferences do. He can transfer to any school in the conference without a problem.

Thought he was on the verge of committing to SU. Didn't see this coming.

Once we got into a few weeks post visit with no commit I had a feeling another visit/new development was coming. Not really surprised to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom