Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
White isn't a guard. That's where you are off.

I'm certain that White / Battle are going to start as well -- as the 3 and 2. Lydon and Roberson probably will not be the starting tandem at forward if White comes here.
I agree, he is best suited as a 3. However, I think he gives us much needed guard depth, if that makes any sense.

yeah I get the sense from that Daniels tweet that this could drag on for at least a few more weeks

I think this would be the last time that an upperclassman lost his starting job. I don't know any details, but IMO he was told Wes was starting at the 3 and Andy was starting at the 2. Harris left the program instead of sitting the bench.

I think there may have been some off the court issues with Harris. I'm not 100% sure though.

White isn't a guard. That's where you are off.

I'm certain that White / Battle are going to start as well -- as the 3 and 2. Lydon and Roberson probably will not be the starting tandem at forward if White comes here.

Andrew White III

Lydon & Roberson will be the starting forward duo regardless of who comes here. If you don't think so, I'm not sure what to tell you.

And as I said before, I hope we can have this argument for the rest of the offseason because if White comes, we are a legit national title contender IMO.

This kind of debate is the reality of having depth. We are not used to it. JB always says things have a way of working out. I think fans need to look at it as how we can best advantage the sum of the whole parts and not get caught up in who starts.

White IS a guard at Syracuse and if he wants to be in the NBA that's probably his best position there. He may need to improve his handle a bit but SG and SF are both becoming bigger in the league so 6'7 is a bit small for a forward. Our success at putting big guards in the first round is one of our best selling points. AW3 starts at 2... Lydon and Roberson at the forward spots.

I agree, he is best suited as a 3. However, I think he gives us much needed guard depth, if that makes any sense.

Makes perfect sense--White could definitely serve as the "emergency" backup 2. I expect the three guards [Gillon / Battle / Howard] to play the vast majority of backup minutes, but White could fill in there in a pinch, of needed. But is he a natural 2? No--much more of a 3.

White IS a guard at Syracuse and if he wants to be in the NBA that's probably his best position there. He may need to improve his handle a bit but SG and SF are both becoming bigger in the league so 6'7 is a bit small for a forward. Our success at putting big guards in the first round is one of our best selling points. AW3 starts at 2... Lydon and Roberson at the forward spots.
This was my first thought as well, but I see other points too. With White, it just opens up so many possibilities. And they are all good. It has been stated before, but there would be like 7-8 starters. I like the idea of starting out with Battle, White, Lydon, Roberson and Chukwu. If the offense doesn't flow, then I think Gillon gets in quickly, but I am not sure who comes out. But, I also like the lineup of Gillon, Battle, White, Lydon and Chukwu. But, I want Roberson on the floor as much as possible, because what he doesn't give you in points, he more than makes up for it in added possessions, and those are more valuable, in my opinion. Roberson can just break the other team's spirit.

yeah I get the sense from that Daniels tweet that this could drag on for at least a few more weeks

Sounds like it. On the positive side, this gives us the opportunity to shoot for 195, one page more than we spent babbling about TT!

Andrew White III

Lydon & Roberson will be the starting forward duo regardless of who comes here. If you don't think so, I'm not sure what to tell you.

And as I said before, I hope we can have this argument for the rest of the offseason because if White comes, we are a legit national title contender IMO.

I'll take that bet, if White comes here. He'll start at 3 day one. Battle is not the best lead guard on the team. Could he start there? Sure. But will he? Probably not. White is not a 2, he's a 3. Review his assist totals from your link and watch him play. He doesn't have much of a dribble drive game off of the bounce, which is why he fits better as a 3.

I'm not convinced that Lydon can play SF effectively. He definitely has the shooting range. We'll see how it plays out.

Makes perfect sense--White could definitely serve as the "emergency" backup 2. I expect the three guards [Gillon / Battle / Howard] to play the vast majority of backup minutes, but White could fill in there in a pinch, of needed. But is he a natural 2? No--much more of a 3.
I agree, but I get the feeling that if he comes here, he is going to be given every opportunity to be the starting 2. We will have sold him on our history of big guards, and he knows that is his ticket to the NBA.

I think it is much more likely that Lydon starts at center than AW starts at 2.

I agree, but I get the feeling that if he comes here, he is going to be given every opportunity to be the starting 2. We will have sold him on our history of big guards, and he knows that is his ticket to the NBA.

What position did Mali play last year? And he still got to the NBA as a 2.

White isn't too small to be a 3, per what was posted above--he's 6-7 220 for pete's sake. He's a natural SF in game and size.

White isn't too small to be a 3, per what was posted above--he's 6-7 220 for pete's sake. He's a natural SF in game and size.
Yeah, that's true. It's like having too many toys to play with, and you have like ten favorites and can only play with five at a time. I don't know how to play with them all at once. What a great problem to have. There is great versatility. I love a big lineup when possible, but it shouldn't be forced.

A good debate going on, but this post is just flat-out wrong.

You've already decided that Battle is starting at the 1 [debatable], that White is starting at the 2 [debatable], and that Lydon is starting at the 3 [debatable]. Not sure what is "flat out wrong" -- it is just a different opinion than the one you are expressing.

I look at that roster [assuming White] and see Gillon / Battle / White / Lydon as four of the five starters.

You look at it and see a different starting backcourt. We'll see.

Yeah, that's true. It's like having too many toys to play with, and you have like ten favorites and can only play with five at a time. I don't know how to play with them all at once. What a great problem to have. There is great versatility. I love a big lineup when possible, but it shouldn't be forced.

You nailed it--great problem to have. Now, let's go land White!!!

Why are you so against him being a 2? I say put out 5 best players out there (should he come here). That means a lineup of Battle-White-Lydon-Roberson-Chukwu. It also means playing everyone at their natural position should they have NBA aspirations and allows Gillon to be 6th man spark plug and small ball lineup guard when Lydon moves to the 4 and White to the 3. DC is backup Center and Howard, the backup Guard. TT and MM get minutes in blowouts or foul trouble games.

You've already decided that Battle is starting at the 1 [debatable], that White is starting at the 2 [debatable], and that Lydon is starting at the 3 [debatable]. Not sure what is "flat out wrong" -- it is just a different opinion than the one you are expressing.

I look at that roster [assuming White] and see Gillon / Battle / White / Lydon as four of the five starters.

Coleman won't be pulled out of the starting lineup, regardless of anything that happens. And if he is, he will be replaced by the 7-2 guy that is going to be eligible.

All other scenarios are possibilities (in my opinion, small ones, but possibilities, sure). Gillon could start. White could come off the bench. Roberson could come off the bench. Lydon could (but in all likelihood will not) come off the bench.

But Lydon will not start at the 5. That is incorrect.

when I did a lineup last night, that was 4 easy ones too.

how JB decides to go big will be an issue.

DC?
Chuck?
Roberson?

my gut was Roberson and see how it plays out. if he needs more muscle, DC comes in for say battle and everyone slides up a #. if he needs more of blocker, then Chuckwu.

in other words, I see a big coming in for a small often. it will easiest to sit the frosh and we will need the vet gillon to dribble and pass with all the big uglies out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom