Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 170 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hate the argument our players do not know how to play M2M defense. In many ways, playing our 2-3 zone forces our players to have better conditioning and reflexes. Anyone can play man. It's not like in our 2-3 zone players do not match up with other players. It happens all the time. There are constantly 1-on-1 matches on defense. The whole idea that our players can't play defense in the NBA is pure BS.

Sorry. No.

Lol at this thread. Guys and girls- no reason to get all worked up at each other and cause other people not to post or get mad at one another. Andrew White will either come or he will not. Time will tell. If not, this roster is fine the way it is. If he comes, great. This is all gravy.

I agree with your sentiment about not getting worked up 100%.

Not so much with your assessment that "this roster is fine the way it is," or that adding White would be "all gravy." In fact, I couldn't disagree more.

White is the difference between this being a borderline top 25 team versus being a legit top 10 or top 5 caliber team, from wire to wire. He's the difference between being a legit title contender and #1 seed versus a team that might have to claw their way to the NCAA tournament. It could be the difference between JB chasing a second title before his rapidly dwindling career ends versus him going out on a far less positive note.

Not trying to be dramatic about this, but to the extent that those thing are important to us as SU fans, that's how important landing White is.

Not so much with your assessment that "this roster is fine the way it is," or that adding White would be "all gravy." In fact, I couldn't disagree more. White is the difference between this being a borderline top 25 team versus being a legit top 10 or top 5 caliber team, from wire to wire. He's the difference between being a legit title contender and #1 seed versus a team that might have to claw their way to the NCAA tournament. It could be the difference between JB chasing a second title before his rapidly dwindling career ends versus going out on a far less positive note.

Not trying to be dramatic about this, but White's recruitment is HUGE in many respects.

Totally agree. I wouldn't underestimate what another outside shooter would do to improve the team's potential. I'm confident that Gillon will be in the three point range of his first two years in college but other than that, we have Lydon and really an unknown in Battle.

Not so much with your assessment that "this roster is fine the way it is," or that adding White would be "all gravy." In fact, I couldn't disagree more. White is the difference between this being a borderline top 25 team versus being a legit top 10 or top 5 caliber team, from wire to wire. He's the difference between being a legit title contender and #1 seed versus a team that might have to claw their way to the NCAA tournament. It could be the difference between JB chasing a second title before his rapidly dwindling career ends versus going out on a far less positive note.

Not trying to be dramatic about this, but White's recruitment is HUGE in many respects.

So, you're saying the addition of Andrew White to our roster carries a little bit of significance?

I could see it. I just don't see it being the best option. If White will only come if he's promised a starting role, we don't need that kind of drama, imo. If that's the case, he can go elsewhere; he's not Jesus. However, if the coaches do get him on board, I think Roberson absolutely starts at PF and I would rather have Lydon start at SF than White at SF. Battle has to start at SG with Gillon/Howard at point, so White becomes the dude off the bench. Some people don't see Lydon as a SF, though. In response, I don't see White as a capable defender at SF in our zone.

I don't see it as "drama" created by AW. It's a reasonable and expected need — to start. He didn't leave Nebraska as a starter to better his NBA prospects by coming off the bench for a different program, regardless of its tourney potential. And that kind of decision should be made without consideration to that one time, when Syracuse had a 2g drafted high, following a season in which he happened to not be a starter.

I DO see Lydon as a SF. Now and in the NBA. I wouldn't want him bulky enough to play the 4. Didn't DC have to pack on a lot of weight to bang at PF In the NBA, and it cost him his quickness?

I also DO see AW playing the back line in our zone. Isn't he gong to be the same kind of defender as CJ Fair? Same size, no? And AW has very nice rebounding stats...

I'm kinda afraid it will be Lydon as The Sith Sixth. For the good of the squad. GMs will drool at his potential anyway.

Not so much with your assessment that "this roster is fine the way it is," or that adding White would be "all gravy." In fact, I couldn't disagree more.

White is the difference between this being a borderline top 25 team versus being a legit top 10 or top 5 caliber team, from wire to wire. He's the difference between being a legit title contender and #1 seed versus a team that might have to claw their way to the NCAA tournament. It could be the difference between JB chasing a second title before his rapidly dwindling career ends versus going out on a far less positive note.

Not trying to be dramatic about this, but to the extent that those thing are important to us as SU fans, that's how important landing White is.
I agree...that this isn't dramatic enough. I can picture Nadarius Fagan reading this, I bet he would bring the drama and leave us breathless.

White provides the ability to have 4 players who can shoot on the floor without having to go small. He'd be an unbelievable get.
Sure he brings that and he is a solid rebounder and he is experienced, yada yada yada, but my sources tell me he also brings his own 42" flat screen and a mini fridge. So, I think he is going to make some lucky dude a great roommate.

White provides the ability to have 4 players who can shoot on the floor without having to go small. He'd be an unbelievable get.

I just want to see an Orange lineup where 4 players can shoot and still have crazy height on defense. It would be so cool to watch.

Some people really need to step away from their computer or put down their phone and breathe. He will make his decision soon enough. Meanwhile get outside and enjoy the warm weather because before you know it the snow will be flying and you will be stuck inside wishing you could go outside.

I could see it. I just don't see it being the best option. If White will only come if he's promised a starting role, we don't need that kind of drama, imo. If that's the case, he can go elsewhere; he's not Jesus. However, if the coaches do get him on board, I think Roberson absolutely starts at PF and I would rather have Lydon start at SF than White at SF. Battle has to start at SG with Gillon/Howard at point, so White becomes the dude off the bench. Some people don't see Lydon as a SF, though. In response, I don't see White as a capable defender at SF in our zone.
It's not drama. It's smart. White should absolutely be looking to transfer to a program that will promise him a starting spot. He's one of the best three-point shooters in the country inside an NBA body (strength and maturity, not athleticism).

He's not coming off the bench, nor should he be.

I don't see it as "drama" created by AW. It's a reasonable and expected need — to start. He didn't leave Nebraska as a starter to better his NBA prospects by coming off the bench for a different program, regardless of its tourney potential. And that kind of decision should be made without consideration to that one time, when Syracuse had a 2g drafted high, following a season in which he happened to not be a starter.

I DO see Lydon as a SF. Now and in the NBA. I wouldn't want him bulky enough to play the 4. Didn't DC have to pack on a lot of weight to bang at PF In the NBA, and it cost him his quickness?

I also DO see AW playing the back line in our zone. Isn't he gong to be the same kind of defender as CJ Fair? Same size, no? And AW has very nice rebounding stats...

I'm kinda afraid it will be Lydon as The Sith Sixth. For the good of the squad. GMs will drool at his potential anyway.

I should rephrase the comment about White wanting to start. I don't have a problem with him requesting it; he's essentially an unrestricted free agent and can request what he wants. I'd have more of an issue if the coaches bent over backwards to make him a starter at the expense of some of the current guys on the roster who've proven themselves as capable contributors. White is a good player, but he's not worth any potential locker room rifts. If the player(s) being bumped for him are legitimately cool with it, then that would be stellar.

White's defense still scares me. I worry that we might face a BJ Johnson scenario: capable scorer with height but no defensive instincts. If White shows effort on defense, then there are no worries. I just don't want teams to be able to exploit him in our zone when this should be one of the best defensive teams the program has ever had.

Some people really need to step away from their computer or put down their phone and breathe. He will make his decision soon enough. Meanwhile get outside and enjoy the warm weather because before you know it the snow will be flying and you will be stuck inside wishing you could go outside.
Nah. It's scary out there. The sun burns and causes disease and the grass is so dry it s my feet.

It's not drama. It's smart. White should absolutely be looking to transfer to a program that will promise him a starting spot. He's one of the best three-point shooters in the country inside an NBA body (strength and maturity, not athleticism).

He's not coming off the bench, nor should he be.

In fairness, though, Lydon shouldn't be coming off the bench either. He could easily eclipse White's production as a starter. And Roberson not starting would be a giant surprise. Perhaps Lydon and White in together at the forward spots would be the best lineup - one we'll probably see often - but I just don't see Boeheim not starting Roberson. Make no mistake, Lydon's earned a starting role as much as White has.

Again, no issue with White requesting a starting role.

This reminds me of this thread in the last 24 hours...LOL
23.jpg

In fairness, though, Lydon shouldn't be coming off the bench either. He could easily eclipse White's production as a starter. And Roberson not starting would be a giant surprise. Perhaps Lydon and White in together at the forward spots would be the best lineup - one we'll probably see often - but I just don't see Boeheim not starting Roberson. But make not mistake, Lydon's earned a starting role as much as White has.
If Lydon is willing to come off the bench, who cares? There might be as many as four players who were promised starting roles to get them through the door: Coleman, Battle, Gillon and White. If that's the case, the decision is between Lydon and Roberson. I'm sure Lydon knows he'll be in there when it matters most.

If Lydon is willing to come off the bench, who cares? There might be as many as four players who were promised starting roles to get them through the door: Coleman, Battle, Gillon and White. If that's the case, the decision is between Lydon and Roberson. I'm sure Lydon knows he'll be in there when it matters most.

It doesn't make any difference. It's all about being right and scoring some weird internet point.

As if Lydon starting is the difference between 38 and 6 mpg.

In fairness, though, Lydon shouldn't be coming off the bench either. He could easily eclipse White's production as a starter. And Roberson not starting would be a giant surprise. Perhaps Lydon and White in together at the forward spots would be the best lineup - one we'll probably see often - but I just don't see Boeheim not starting Roberson. Make no mistake, Lydon's earned a starting role as much as White has.

Again, no issue with White requesting a starting role.
Why would Roberson not starting be a giant surprise? I've been saying it since this thread was created. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom