Class of 2016 - SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska) | Page 172 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 SG/SF Andrew White (VA; Grad Transfer from Nebraska)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough. My reason for thinking Lydon has to start is all about offense and getting off to a good start in games so basically winning. Obviously this team is going to take some time on defense with all the new pieces but I am really tired of seeing our squads that are handcuffed offensively the last couple of seasons. That is one of the reasons I'm excited about this team's possibilities offensively.

I think we all agree that it's an exciting time to be a cuse fan

This is true. Still Dion wasn't sitting behind two guys who made the offense easier to defend against.

Though I agree with the contention that Coleman's offensively challenged, it's slightly misleading - opponents still have to guard him. We've had Baye Keita types who could be left alone, but Coleman's not one of those. He struggles in traffic, but he'll keep a defense honest.

Same thing for Roberson who, if I understand correctly, will finally have the green light to shoot from 15 feet (and get a defender out of the lane).

So those two don't have Lydon's skills, it's not like we'd be running the no-offense bunch out there to start the game. I'm still banking on Lydon playing Instant Offense off the bench.

Fair enough. My reason for thinking Lydon has to start is all about offense and getting off to a good start in games so basically winning. Obviously this team is going to take some time on defense with all the new pieces but I am really tired of seeing our squads that are handcuffed offensively the last couple of seasons. That is one of the reasons I'm excited about this team's possibilities offensively.
I am torn. With Lydon in the starting lineup, any guy that we bring off the bench will be a defensive substitution relative to who they replace. So, if we sub in, over the course of a few minutes, Roberson, Chukwu and Howard. They will likely be replacing three more offensive players. Leaving that lineup a bit short offensively. Whereas if Lydon came off the bench, he would balance out the lineups a bit better. However, all this could be remedied by strategic substitution patterns.

Though I agree with the contention that Coleman's offensively challenged, it's slightly misleading - opponents still have to guard him. We've had Baye Keita types who could be left alone, but Coleman's not one of those. He struggles in traffic, but he'll keep a defense honest.

Same thing for Roberson who, if I understand correctly, will finally have the green light to shoot from 15 feet (and get a defender out of the lane).

So those two don't have Lydon's skills, it's not like we'd be running the no-offense bunch out there to start the game. I'm still banking on Lydon playing Instant Offense off the bench.

I hear you and its not one or the other of them as much as both of them together in the game while Lydon is out if he isn't starting.
Coleman with say Gillon, Battle, White, Lydon is going to have more room to post and more time to make his move or he is going to screen and have a free lane to roll to the basket. Roberson likewise will have more room to rebound, cut for dump offs and use his 1 dribble to get to the hoop. I'm not saying they won't play together out there just saying that if you do that to start the game the team becomes much easier to defend against.

I don't doubt Roberson will start the season with the green light from 15', i question weather or not he will make it enough to keep the green light. It would be great if he did but I'm sort of in the show me group on that as opposing defenses will be.

I am torn. With Lydon in the starting lineup, any guy that we bring off the bench will be a defensive substitution relative to who they replace. So, if we sub in, over the course of a few minutes, Roberson, Chukwu and Howard. They will likely be replacing three more offensive players. Leaving that lineup a bit short offensively. Whereas if Lydon came off the bench, he would balance out the lineups a bit better. However, all this could be remedied by strategic substitution patterns.

Its simple, just play Lydon 40min ;)

Seriously though the opposing teams players generally do the best job executing the game plan and scouting reports defensively at the beginning of halfs and out of TO's. We will be easier to game plan with Lydon on the bench to start the halfs. Let the coaches burn a TO to remind them tehy don't need to cover Roberson at the 3pt line.

I'd rather see Roberson coming off the bench if we land White. We need to score. Maybe Roberson does add the 15' jumper but that could be nice off the bench as well. I feel good about the rebounding with potentially White/Lydon/Chukwu. I don't know. It's a good problem to have.

Seriously though the opposing teams players generally do the best job executing the game plan and scouting reports defensively at the beginning of halfs and out of TO's. We will be easier to game plan with Lydon on the bench to start the halfs. Let the coaches burn a TO to remind them tehy don't need to cover Roberson at the 3pt line.

Yeah, I really think this guy has the chance to be our best player since Melo.

20 blocks in 5 tournament games last year. Plus 40% 3pt shooter. Jason McIntyre just rated him as the 9th best player in all of college basketball.

There's really nothing he doesn't do well, and he has unlimited potential. I'm sure it's a struggle for JB just thinking he will start out in the seat next to him.

Yeah, I agree with you. All I know is, there are at least 5 or 6 lineup combinations that I am dying to see. I can't wait for this season.

I'd rather see Roberson coming off the bench if we land White. We need to score. Maybe Roberson does add the 15' jumper but that could be nice off the bench as well. I feel good about the rebounding with potentially White/Lydon/Chukwu. I don't know. It's a good problem to have.
I think the key, if Roberson comes off the bench, is to wind him up so that he comes out like a man possessed. Have GMAC sit next to him and talk smack to him.

I've been thinking about this too. Here's what I have with 5 minute rotations showing cumulative minutes. I did not realize how hard this is to do until you try to organize it. I have no idea how the coaches do this and I'm sure what I have below is pure BS:

PG: Battle 5
SG: White 5
SF: Lydon 5
PF: Roberson 5
C: Coleman 5

PG: Gillon 5
SG: Battle 10
SF: White 10
PF: Roberson 10
C: Chukwu 5

PG: Howard 5
SG: Battle 15
SF: Thompson (1st half) / Moyer (2nd half) 5
PF: Lydon 10
C: Chukwu 10

PG: Gillon 10
SG: Howard 10
SF White 15
PF: Lydon 15
C: Coleman 10

I think White will take away Roberson's minutes because he's a better offensive player. But rebounding is very important so who knows. I certainly do not!

Lol at this thread. Guys and girls- no reason to get all worked up at each other and cause other people not to post or get mad at one another. Andrew White will either come or he will not. Time will tell. If not, this roster is fine the way it is. If he comes, great. This is all gravy.
How dare you speak logic here????

Adios!!!!!

NOWWWWWW!!!!!

Lol jk

And the one thing Coleman has always done well is rebound so I agree that a front line of either center with White/Lydon is a good rebounding frontcourt. Roberson for his position is the best rebounder we have when he is engaged but its not like any of the other 4 likely front court players are bad rebounders.

And the one thing Coleman has always done well is rebound so I agree that a front line of either center with White/Lydon is a good rebounding frontcourt. Roberson for his position is the best rebounder we have when he is engaged but its not like any of the other 4 likely front court players are bad rebounders.
So many capable players and we don't even talk about Moyer and Thompson. I still think it would be good to put a pressing lineup out there for maybe 5-8 minutes per game that features one or both of them.

So many capable players and we don't even talk about Moyer and Thompson. I still think it would be good to put a pressing lineup out there for maybe 5-8 minutes per game that features one or both of them.

One of them on the ball, Chukwu at the rim and any other 3 who want to run like madmen.

One of them on the ball, Chukwu at the rim and any other 3 who want to run like madmen.
Exactly. I was thinking Thompson on the ball, because the dude is long. And Moyer could be one of the chasers, because I can see him bringing total energy for short stints like that and be super excited to embrace that role.

It will be interesting to see which players are the best center getting up and down the floor. This year is going to be a very fun season. I am really looking forward to when AW3 commits so we can speculate properly.

Right. Coleman in there is fine with those guys also. The key is to have a plugged in Roberson whenever he is in there. I still doubt he will really give us any offense though few if any saw those kinds of Rak improvements coming.

As soon as we had a non scoring possession or the other team scored Lydon would be sent to the table. JB might even just send him right after the tip to make sure he was in at the first dead ball.
I dont know, look at where Dion went in the draft, even so JB didnt always get him in super fast. Sometimes he waited long enough for the other team to be a little fatigued. Its not a bad strategy. But i agree, Lydon should lead us in mins or very close

I dont know, look at where Dion went in the draft, even so JB didnt always get him in super fast. Sometimes he waited long enough for the other team to be a little fatigued. Its not a bad strategy. But i agree, Lydon should lead us in mins or very close

The big difference being the dropoff from Dion to Triche/Scoop wasn't as great and those guys actually finished game with Dion at times. Dion didn't even finish every game. Triche was the 3rd leading scorer on that team.

The big difference being the dropoff from Dion to Triche/Scoop wasn't as great and those guys actually finished game with Dion at times. Dion didn't even finish every game. Triche was the 3rd leading scorer on that team.
True enough but this could be our most talented line up 1-8 or 1-10 in a long long time

Yep 3 guards who could all get it done so they all played but JB went with who was getting it done down the stretch. Early season it was often Trich/Dion, then Scoop had that ridiculous stretch late conference season where he was always on to close out games. Obviously Dion had established himself as the best guard by seasons end but he wasn't a true PG so all 3 still played big minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom