Shafer Transfers | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Shafer Transfers

I respect what you are saying. I see it differently. I had two daughters excel in sports in sports where there really is no professional league, both recruited to play D1 and had coaches calling to recruit them. They loved to play, spent their summers training, traveling and in summer camps. But my daughters saw it as a way to get into a better school, recognizing that sports has a short shelf-life, and wanted to go to a school that would prepare them for the rest of their lives, the next 40 years, not the next four years. One daughter did not continue her sport. The other did, but at a D3 school , Amherst, a school that she might not have gotten into if not for her sport. That coach left, but my daughter liked the school, continued to compete, loved the school, had friends, and still was able to compete. In her freshman year, she went to practice, the same afternoon before a 7PM Chem test. I gave her grief over that, but she continued to do that. Her odds of getting into grad school were infinitely better than getting to the highest levels of her sport
You should follow women's sport's then . Or D3 sports.

You should follow women's sport's then . Or D3 sports.
How dare you tell someone else what they should do based on your ideals? YOU and people like you are what's wrong with sports. I can't believe you had the audacity to even write that. I absolutely agree with both Bambrewer and the poster above. They are, however, coming from two completely situations. The two cannot be compared.

How dare you tell someone else what they should do based on your ideals? YOU and people like you are what's wrong with sports. I can't believe you had the audacity to even write that. I absolutely agree with both Bambrewer and the poster above. They are, however, coming from two completely situations. The two cannot be compared.
That's exactly correct, they are not comparable. This is semi-professional sports, not some fun diversion or something you do to keep in shape.

Absolutly. I love reading fans ideas about what they think is going on and how the staff is handling things. Truth is most have no clue. I guess having no idea what it's like to have a dream and be this close to that dream will never be comprehended by them. When these kids played pop warner you were always told they will never play d1. It's one in a million. Then high school came and these kids were told they won't play d1 but as years went on and people started noticing they were different than the 100s of other kids from their state who didn't get a chance to play in college they began to dream. Then colleges coaches came along and told them they were the greatest. They could play on the d1 level. That they believed in them. That they would be the guy who goes on to the NFL. And those kids bought in. They came out and worked. And the coaches worked and told them to get on the field or next year you will be the guy. But then that coach has to leave. And then new coach changes stuff. And suddenly the guy who last year was the star of campus or was waiting to be the guy is now sitting on the bench wondering what the hell happened to his dream. These fans have no idea what it would be like to have a coach call you into his office and tell you that even though you have been told you were great you won't play here... you can sit here and watch or you can get penalized and try somewhere else. You can drop a level. You can sit a year. You can roll the dice and see if someone will take you. I guess to people who have never been close to their dreams it's easy to say get over it move on. I guess they haven't had a chance. But I do know these kids who fans are so quick to cast off. I sat at the hotel talking with many of these kids who had their talks and I saw their confusion about how this happened. I saw them choke up telling me what the coach said. They told me how they didn't know what to do. Fans don't see that but I guess that is what makes being a fan fun. You don't have to deal with the reality of behind the scenes. I wish trey nothing but the best. I hope he kills it at the next school. I will be watching and hoping for him.
Nailed it, Jon.

Last edited:
I respect what you are saying. I see it differently. I had two daughters excel in sports in sports where there really is no professional league, both recruited to play D1 and had coaches calling to recruit them. They loved to play, spent their summers training, traveling and in summer camps. But my daughters saw it as a way to get into a better school, recognizing that sports has a short shelf-life, and wanted to go to a school that would prepare them for the rest of their lives, the next 40 years, not the next four years. One daughter did not continue her sport. The other did, but at a D3 school , Amherst, a school that she might not have gotten into if not for her sport. That coach left, but my daughter liked the school, continued to compete, loved the school, had friends, and still was able to compete. In her freshman year, she went to practice, the same afternoon before a 7PM Chem test. I gave her grief over that, but she continued to do that. Her odds of getting into grad school were infinitely better than getting to the highest levels of her sport

EXCELLENT POINTS Bam, thank YOU! And I understand your argument Richard, and we have told Trey many times about how it's his education/degree first and he knows we would never have been able to afford Syracuse had he not been recruited. His one sister who is paying off $80,000 in college loans loves to remind Trey how lucky he is when he has complained about all the football politics. He gets that and did that. His future is bright with a great degree from a top notch university that he graduated from with a 3.4GPA. Life is made up of many choices. Trey would always say "I don't want to make the wrong decision". And I have said there are never wrong decisions in life. Every decision you make is a time to learn and grow. Football really prepares these men for life, I have watched it first hand ❤️

This is a tricky thing to negotiate. I'm sure many football players at the DIII level end up getting in to places like Amherst and Williams and Johns Hopkins because of their athletic skill and take advantage of the academics, like your daughter did. I knew a guy when I was at Gettysburg College who quit the football team to take an internship at the White House. Obviously, the latter was going to help him more than the former.

That said, you can't fault guys for continuing to chase their dreams at the D1 level if their school of choice didn't work out. Unfortunately, because high D1 college football serves as a minor league, players feel the need to continue to play.

The argument that these guys should value their education first, while obvious, is much more difficult to navigate. First, guys like Shy and Steve and Trey (since their parents are involved in this conversation) and a few thousand others at the FBS level have athletic ability that I could only dream of. That's why they've had a chance there. If you're that athletically gifted, why not exploit it? After all, athletic ability is a commodity. If I had one of the best young minds for math or physics or programming at the age of 18 and have the credentials to back it up, I'm going to go to MIT and focus on that, not Bridgeport State and study to become a gym teacher. Chase your dreams with the talent you have.

Second, and this is the tricky part, there's socio-economic challenges for some of these guys that most here cannot imagine. If you've grown up barely getting by, what's more enticing - getting a degree, getting an entry level job where you can basically support yourself and no one else, or end up on an NFL roster for 3 years and make a quick million? It's not a hard choice, and I would have made the same one if I could have when I was 22.

I'm not saying his is all kids... but it is the majority of kids playing football. In fact there is one kid on this team that knows he won't play here and is staying just for the degree. He was a great high school player but really has no interest in playing other than a means to get his degree. But he is in the minority

Let me add a little something to this. How many fans have ever been to a camp? If you've never been to one, go. It's really inspiring to watch these kids put out so much effort in an attempt to garner an offer.

Once you've been to several, or 20+, though, the camp experience becomes something different. Reality sets in. After my umpteenth trip to a camp, it dawned on me that, in many ways, these kids are commodities. Like cattle. Weight, height, reach, 40 times, 3 cone times, shuttle times, flexibility, bench reps, vertical leap, "coachability", and all sorts of other metrics are collected. Things like grades and character don't come anywhere close in importance. Because, truthfully, 4.0 GPAs and 100s of hours of community service don't win football games. Somewhere, it's forgotten that these kids are kids, and there's a good 40+ years of life for them to live post D1 football.

In fact there is one kid on this team that knows he won't play here and is staying just for the degree. He was a great high school player but really has no interest in playing other than a means to get his degree.
Given his viewpoint, I'd simply call him smart.
If he enjoys the rest of the experience then he's still making the most of this opportunity.

The NCAA could easily grant each player a free transfer that doesn't count against redshirt. Could even limit the extenuating circumstances that it could be used. It's kind of a dumb problem with an easy fix and the burden is all on the athlete.

Part of the problem for the fans is that they really don't know the players. Most couldn't look at a picture of the team and name the kids...I admit I can't name them all and I'm on the recruiting forum every day. It is much easier for fans to connect to ten kids on a BB team, whose faces are visible on the court, than 85 kids, wearing helmets, on a football team.

And all these kids, no matter what sport they play have a dream. Unfortunately the dream doesn't come true for the vast majority.

Another thing, too. I found myself, during the recruiting process, getting all wrapped up in the metrics. I obsessed over Steven's bench, squat, 40 and shuttle times, or any other metric that I could use to compare him against other players at his position. Honestly, thinking back on my attitude, I'm ashamed.

Another thing, too. I found myself, during the recruiting process, getting all wrapped up in the metrics. I obsessed over Steven's bench, squat, 40 and shuttle times, or any other metric that I could use to compare him against other players at his position. Honestly, thinking back on my attitude, I'm ashamed.
I hear you but I'm still obsessed lol

Well that is one of the most s e xist, piglet things I have seen posted on here in a long time.
The Syracuse football team plays Florida State, Clemson, LSU, Louisville and other semi-professional teams who's players are working nonstop for a chance to play in the NFL . At this level , it is their profession . Do you think they can compete with these teams if they don't give EVERYTHING they have . This isn't college sports as it was in the past, that is still alive at the lower levels . Do you think it is easy for these guys to close the door on the work when they see that a guy that was working in a grocery store gets a call to play.

The Syracuse football team plays Florida State, Clemson, LSU, Louisville and other semi-professional teams who's players are working nonstop for a chance to play in the NFL . At this level , it is their profession . Do you think they can compete with these teams if they don't give EVERYTHING they have . This isn't college sports as it was in the past, that is still alive at the lower levels . Do you think it is easy for these guys to close the door on the work when they see that a guy that was working in a grocery store gets a call to play.
So you are saying that the ladies on the WBB team don't all have that dream to play at a higher level and play in the WNBA?

Just admit you posted something extremely stupid and move on. Why create a BS straw man argument to cover your tracks? You're just digging yourself in deeper and losing any credibility you have left.

Just admit you posted something extremely stupid and move on. Why create a BS straw man argument to cover your tracks? You're just digging yourself in deeper and losing any credibility you have left.
Maybe you should be as energized by these young people being treated unfairly by the NCAA system as you are about my rather innocuous statements.

Last edited:

Missed the point, I think.

Wow, Cubs. Really appreciate the honesty. That's a hard statement to make about one's self and shows how deeply you think and reflect on things.

I was a player who wasn't good enough at a program. I do understand.

I was fortunate enough to take an opportunity to play sports at a great academic institution which really helped me in my professional career. When one door closes, many others will open. Trust me on that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom