Silent Verbal? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Silent Verbal?

Great minds think alike.. I thought the same thing... Regardless tho, JB has brought in an amazing class for 15' and if they can get Bryant it will be a top 3 class in the nation... Maybe even number one. Can't say for certain because we all know paypalcal will find a way... Regarding this year, I think some are expecting too much from Joseph this year.. I think he will actually have his fair share of learning experiences and rough games this year.. In the long run, even maybe later on this coming year, he will be a stud. I think this year comes down to shooting. Xmas will be the best player next year, and if cooney and gbinijie can't find a way to knock down shots consistently, the offense will struggle big time. Still hoping Patterson and BJ can find some time to help spread the defense out for Rak. Rak has an onuaku-like Sr year, IMO.

My thinking Roberson and Cooney will be the leading scorers. Rak will be the leading rebounding. Kaleb will be the assist leader. I think we are going to be in for a bumpy ride this season. We certainly are not going 26-0. I would rather go 4-6 the first ten games of the season and go 10-0 the last ten games of the season!!!!!

Listen, Jim is very committed to Juli, I don't believe for a second he's going around getting "secret verbals" from some player's mother.

Nice word job.

I doubt Patterson transfers after next season. If he was leaving, he would have been gone this year. Doesn't do him much good to sit out a year to have 2 to play unless his personal goal is to finish his college eligibility while earning a graduate degree.

Two points:

First...the most significant element in the article is that Boeheim doesn't sound as if retirement is even in his mind.
Sounds energized and ready to keep going.

Second...Boeheim said this on Tuesday and Poliquin waited until Thursday morning to report this recruiting nugget?
With regards to #2, the PS gives Bud Wednesday's off.

I think Tyler spoiled us in regards to what to expect out of a freshmen PG. And i think it would be nice to have Grant because we're basically turning the forward rotation over to 2 nearly complete unknowns. Very talented, but they both kinda need to hit

Yea, I kind of think people are setting themselves up for disappointment with Joseph. Joseph will turn into a very good player. But I think next year's going to be bumpy. I think of Jason Hart, who obviously turned into a long-term NBA journeyman (probably Joseph's ceiling, right?), and how difficult his freshman year was. Even a sophomore MCW had an often difficult transition once the meat of the schedule started. Jonny Flynn was very good as a freshman but certainly had a lot of bad days.

Roberson might end up being able to replace Grant, but I'm a little confused by what people are basing this on. Grant was much better as a frosh than Roberson was. I know Roberson missed the early part of the season, that he looked great in practice, etc. But he basically did nothing last year. Grant showed a lot more as a freshman.

Yea, I kind of think people are setting themselves up for disappointment with Joseph. Joseph will turn into a very good player. But I think next year's going to be bumpy. I think of Jason Hart, who obviously turned into a long-term NBA journeyman (probably Joseph's ceiling, right?), and how difficult his freshman year was. Even a sophomore MCW had an often difficult transition once the meat of the schedule started. Jonny Flynn was very good as a freshman but certainly had a lot of bad days.

Roberson might end up being able to replace Grant, but I'm a little confused by what people are basing this on. Grant was much better as a frosh than Roberson was. I know Roberson missed the early part of the season, that he looked great in practice, etc. But he basically did nothing last year. Grant showed a lot more as a freshman.

I don't understand this, of course somebody who pushes the ball and moves faster is going to turn the ball over more. I totally get that turnovers are bad, but on the flip side of that, how many MORE baskets are we going to score by pushing the ball, probably a lot more than we give up by turning the ball over.

Last year we didn't turn the ball over, but we didn't score in transition AT ALL. I think Ennis was a nice steady point guard, but it was ludicrous when he's pulling back on a 3 on 1 or 2 on 1 advantage. What's the point of playing it safe if you're going to pull back and pass it into ISO offense and brick a contested jumper and a possible turnover during an advantage.

I was a fan of Ennis's game at the beginning of the season when he wasn't turning the ball over, but after the first 10 or so games it really started to get old and frustrating.

Both? Dude, we don't even have room for ONE right now.

And the threat of you streaking is enough for me to urge Bryant and Jones to take their talents elsewhere.
image.jpg

Roberson has outstanding instincts and a great motor. I believe he'll lead us in boards next year. He's actually quite savvy on the offensive end; has good footwork and a decent handle. Can hit the midrange jumper. He'll be a better scorer than Jerami, and may exceed his numbers next year. He needs to (1) slow down and (2) get more minutes.

My jaded takeaway re: JB pumping up 2015 is that he's more worried than usual about this year.
Boeheim is way too transparent. When he says something it's always exactly what he says. If he says it's the best recruiting class; he has no ulterior motive, he believes it's his best. Such a simple guy.

I doubt Patterson transfers after next season. If he was leaving, he would have been gone this year. Doesn't do him much good to sit out a year to have 2 to play unless his personal goal is to finish his college eligibility while earning a graduate degree.

I don't think he's going to get real PT until his Senior year. Once Malachi shows up he may not get any PT his senior year. But knowing JB he would play his senior over the freshmen.

Boeheim is way too transparent. When he says something it's always exactly what he says. If he says it's the best recruiting class; he has no ulterior motive, he believes it's his best. Such a simple guy.

Are you being sarcastic? Just kidding.

Roberson has outstanding instincts and a great motor. I believe he'll lead us in boards next year. He's actually quite savvy on the offensive end; has good footwork and a decent handle. Can hit the midrange jumper. He'll be a better scorer than Jerami, and may exceed his numbers next year. He needs to (1) slow down and (2) get more minutes.

My thinking is Cooney and Roberson lead the team in scoring at the beginning. But Chris Mac and Kaleb will start putting up good numbers near the end. My hope is we go 4 and 6 in the beginning of the season and 10-0 at the end of the season instead the other way around like last season!

"I will tell you that next year's recruiting class will be the best that we've ever had here at Syracuse University. That's next year's class — 2015. We've got four guys (who've committed) and we're getting another, but I can't talk about that. It's going to be a great recruiting class, and I think you'll be excited about the future."

This comment just makes my head spin!!

I don't understand this, of course somebody who pushes the ball and moves faster is going to turn the ball over more. I totally get that turnovers are bad, but on the flip side of that, how many MORE baskets are we going to score by pushing the ball, probably a lot more than we give up by turning the ball over.

Last year we didn't turn the ball over, but we didn't score in transition AT ALL. I think Ennis was a nice steady point guard, but it was ludicrous when he's pulling back on a 3 on 1 or 2 on 1 advantage. What's the point of playing it safe if you're going to pull back and pass it into ISO offense and brick a contested jumper and a possible turnover during an advantage.

I was a fan of Ennis's game at the beginning of the season when he wasn't turning the ball over, but after the first 10 or so games it really started to get old and frustrating.
There was no way we were going to run last year. We didn't have the experience on the bench to put enough fresh legs out there.

Bryant for Cmac seems to be the obvious conclusion. However, it's unlikely it will be the #1 rated class with Paypal Cal around. And there's no Melo or DC etc. in our 2015 group. But it still is a fantastic class. Let's Go Orange!

Last edited:
This class may not be the best we have brought in over the years but it has 2 shooters, a true big guy (that has offensive skills) and a potential solid point guard that will stay several years. Add Bryant to the mix and this class is exactly what we need to run the table come March!

Two points:

First...the most significant element in the article is that Boeheim doesn't sound as if retirement is even in his mind.
Sounds energized and ready to keep going.

Second...Boeheim said this on Tuesday and Poliquin waited until Thursday morning to report this recruiting nugget?
The print edition of the PS only comes out on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. You need to save some things for those who don't use the on-line version or there would be no reason to ever buy the print edition.