Silent Verbal? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Silent Verbal?

"I will tell you that next year's recruiting class will be the best that we've ever had here at Syracuse University. That's next year's class — 2015. We've got four guys (who've committed) and we're getting another, but I can't talk about that. It's going to be a great recruiting class, and I think you'll be excited about the future."

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/in...class_is_his_best_ever_do_y.html#incart_river

It's nice to hear JB's confidence, it's shaping up to be a monster class. I assume Thomas Bryant will be the 5th signing? Any other guesses?
Can we can the term "silent verbal", which is impossible, and use "secret verbal" instead.

JB must have gotten a secret verbal from Bryant's mom. Kids can tell the media anything about their list of schools, but as JB has said before, they usually end up at the school mom wants them at.

I agree that if there is in fact a silent verbal that it would most likely be the local kid Bryant rather than Jones.

I wonder if the "loud" verbal would come in time for the early signing period or not until spring ?

However, I have to take exception to Jimmy's comment ""I will tell you that next year's recruiting class will be the best that we've ever had here at Syracuse University. That's next year's class — 2015." No way is this the best ever class unless the silent verbal is LeBron coming to college.

How could this class be better than the Coleman class:

DC - #1 overall recruit
Thompson - concencus Top Ten kid
Duncan - concensus Top Twenty kid
Hughes - Top 50 kid
and Matt Roe to provide the icing.

Not to mention the Melo class.

I could also get into other classes that look as good as this one does - not to say that this will not be a terrific class. IMHO, the key to the effectiveness of the incoming class will be if we can get 2+ productive seasons out of everybody.

However, Jimmy's comment definitely leaves us excited and looking forward to the future even more than I was this AM before I had my morning Joe.
It seems that when JB gets a really good class, he makes the same comment and people run with it. Those same people are to young to remember the DC class which is really hard to beat.

JB seems to be awfully certain that another scholly will open up.
And this doesn't even take into account the Rochester kid who is transferring from Colgate (?) to be a walk-on his first year. When that was announced, there was speculation that another scholarship was going to open up. Now add another to the list! Of course the guard was nothing special who seemed barely D1 quality.

My jaded takeaway re: JB pumping up 2015 is that he's more worried than usual about this year.
Great minds think alike.. I thought the same thing... Regardless tho, JB has brought in an amazing class for 15' and if they can get Bryant it will be a top 3 class in the nation... Maybe even number one. Can't say for certain because we all know paypalcal will find a way... Regarding this year, I think some are expecting too much from Joseph this year.. I think he will actually have his fair share of learning experiences and rough games this year.. In the long run, even maybe later on this coming year, he will be a stud. I think this year comes down to shooting. Xmas will be the best player next year, and if cooney and gbinijie can't find a way to knock down shots consistently, the offense will struggle big time. Still hoping Patterson and BJ can find some time to help spread the defense out for Rak. Rak has an onuaku-like Sr year, IMO.

RE: Boy, that's sure a tantalizing thing to say! It's got to be Bryant. Someone is either transferring (maybe Paterson) or Coleman's knee injuries are career ending. Wow, that's a huge comment.
Prevailing sentiment is that CMac is a certain 1-and-done. His departure will free up the necessary scholly.

Great minds think alike.. I thought the same thing... Regardless tho, JB has brought in an amazing class for 15' and if they can get Bryant it will be a top 3 class in the nation... Maybe even number one. Can't say for certain because we all know paypalcal will find a way... Regarding this year, I think some are expecting too much from Joseph this year.. I think he will actually have his fair share of learning experiences and rough games this year.. In the long run, even maybe later on this coming year, he will be a stud. I think this year comes down to shooting. Xmas will be the best player next year, and if cooney and gbinijie can't find a way to knock down shots consistently, the offense will struggle big time. Still hoping Patterson and BJ can find some time to help spread the defense out for Rak. Rak has an onuaku-like Sr year, IMO.

I really think for the first time in awhile this team has the chance to actually improve and peak at the end of the season. Alot of talent but alot of new guys that are going to learn on the floor (Roberson, CMAC, BJ, Joseph) The improvement in those four over the course of the year will be fun to watch. Just hope the first half of the season keeps us in the mix for a postseason run.

JB must have gotten a secret verbal from Bryant's mom. Kids can tell the media anything about their list of schools, but as JB has said before, they usually end up at the school mom wants them at.

Listen, Jim is very committed to Juli, I don't believe for a second he's going around getting "secret verbals" from some player's mother.

Call me crazy but I am excited about Kaleb and Chris this year as well as about the progress our returning players will show and I think we will perform admirably.
I really dont get how keeping Ennis and Grant would have made us THAT much better to be honest.. Probably Ennis would but Kaleb could be Ennis, who was the next MCW, who was the next Waiters and so on of guards who leave early and cause us to freak out, only to have someone come in and dominate. As far as Grant goes, spinning drives into the lane for acrobatic layups only take you so far. Our problem was we could make a 3 pointer if our season depended on it, keeping Grant doesnt help that.

I really think for the first time in awhile this team has the chance to actually improve and peak at the end of the season. Alot of talent but alot of new guys that are going to learn on the floor (Roberson, CMAC, BJ, Joseph) The improvement in those four over the course of the year will be fun to watch. Just hope the first half of the season keeps us in the mix for a postseason run.

This is how I see the season as well. I think the struggles will be there but we will also see the promise and we won't do as poorly as some think early on. Talent wise we are loaded, experience wise not especially with guys who have had to carry the load. I think in many ways that's a good thing. JB and the staff aren't going into the season saying we are running the offense through CJ come hell or high water.

My belief is that its Bryant.
Given that we're really only going after 2 guys in Bryant in Jones, we're probably looking at a coin flip but I think Bryant's probably the guy, and I am very excited about that.

I really dont get how keeping Ennis and Grant would have made us THAT much better to be honest.. Probably Ennis would but Kaleb could be Ennis, who was the next MCW, who was the next Waiters and so on of guards who leave early and cause us to freak out, only to have someone come in and dominate. As far as Grant goes, spinning drives into the lane for acrobatic layups only take you so far. Our problem was we could make a 3 pointer if our season depended on it, keeping Grant doesnt help that.

I think Ennis would make us better for one huge reason. Two legit PG's which is something we lack. I tend to agree on Grant because he would have played 35 minutes a game and probably still been pretty limited offensively especially if Ennis had left. I think Tyler, BJ and Chris with some MikeG at the 3 here and there will actually give us much better offense from the 3/4 positions by mid season than we would have had with Grant unless he took huge offensive strides this offseason.

I think Tyler spoiled us in regards to what to expect out of a freshmen PG. And i think it would be nice to have Grant because we're basically turning the forward rotation over to 2 nearly complete unknowns. Very talented, but they both kinda need to hit

RE: " and we're getting another, but I can't talk about that. "

Boy, that's sure a tantalizing thing to say! It's got to be Bryant. Someone is either transferring (maybe Paterson) or Coleman's knee injuries are career ending. Wow, that's a huge comment.
Look at it this way - if we're really good, C-Mac (or somebody like Roberson) will have stepped up big time and be gone. if we perform poorly, there will be players who get buried or underperform and will likely be gone. and there could be people who get buried on a good team and then decide to leave. it's a pretty safe bet.

Some handsome devil decided to take this nugget and run with it in a full blown article. My goodness, what quick work by this no-doubt dashing and virile young-ish man! http://.com/did-jim-boeheim-let-news-of-a-silent-commit-slip/

I'll trade Bryant for McCullough in a second.

"Moustapha Diagne, 6-foot-9, 230-pound forward: Averaged 9.4 points on 55 percent shooting. He also pulled down 8.4 rebounds per game and blocked 1.8 shots. Diagne, too, struggled at the line, missing half of the 24 shots he took there. As a member of the winning Playaz team, Diagne played eight games at Peach Jam. He teamed with Isaiah Briscoe, a one-time SU recruit who dominated stretches of action. Diagne had 10 points and seven rebounds vs. perhaps the best big man at the tournament, Ben Simmons, who went for 20 and 10 in that game. Diagne also lined up vs. Thomas Bryant and Team Scan. Diagne had 11 points and seven rebounds vs. Bryant's five points and six rebounds. Diagne, too, saved his best Peach Jam game for last: He scored 16, hauled in 14 rebounds and blocked six shots in the title game. He also sank all of his free throws."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...ball_recruits_fare_in_big_aau_tournament.html

I tend to agree with you for the most part. I think Roberson will be as good as Grant was in 2013-14 campaign. But I think losing CJ Fair opens up a bit of void. Chris Mac or BJ will have to come in and make some meaningful contributions to make up for losing CJ.

Still now matter how high Grant jumped the result was just the same two points. But I still love Bilas's comment on Grant that "he almost burnt up on re-entry".

"I will tell you that next year's recruiting class will be the best that we've ever had here at Syracuse University. That's next year's class — 2015. We've got four guys (who've committed) and we're getting another, but I can't talk about that. It's going to be a great recruiting class, and I think you'll be excited about the future."

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/in...class_is_his_best_ever_do_y.html#incart_river

It's nice to hear JB's confidence, it's shaping up to be a monster class. I assume Thomas Bryant will be the 5th signing? Any other guesses?

Two points:

First...the most significant element in the article is that Boeheim doesn't sound as if retirement is even in his mind.
Sounds energized and ready to keep going.

Second...Boeheim said this on Tuesday and Poliquin waited until Thursday morning to report this recruiting nugget?

I pressed Donna about a comment she made about someone transferring. She wouldn't say anything really meaningful but I did get the impression from her that someone might consider transferring for more meaningful PT. My guess would be Paterson. I still see him getting limited minutes with Cooney. How is it going to be any different than last season. It's not like Paterson is going to play Grant's position.

The end result is we may get BOTH Bryant and Jones. I think both players have said they really want to wear Orange. If we get both players I will have to get my wife to pinch me several times!