Slow death of the ACC takes another major step | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Slow death of the ACC takes another major step

Chris Spitola said in ESPNu this am, he talked w 1 acc bball coach who said they are getting crushed by negative recruiting regarding the future of their conference. Not good.
Between the Q departure and losing a ton of money on UVA last night I hate college hoops and the ACC at the minute.

when we had more options I wish we had gone the big ten root
I think every issue we have in the ACC would be amplified in the Big Ten. But that being said the check would be worth it.

Actually think we fit the SEC better of the two.

I think every issue we have in the ACC would be amplified in the Big Ten. But that being said the check would be worth it.

What northeast presence does the SEC have?

Chris Spitola said in ESPNu this am, he talked w 1 acc bball coach who said they are getting crushed by negative recruiting regarding the future of their conference. Not good.
Meh. The Big East was on deaths door from 2009 on and it had zero effect on Syracuse, Louisville, Georgetown, or Nova. These shock jock radio hosts like to create content.

How exactly do we fit in the SEC? It’s much further from our geographic and recruiting footprint for starters.

How exactly do we fit in the SEC? It’s much further from our geographic and recruiting footprint for starters.
SEC doesn’t like pro markets. Baton Rogue vs New Orleans. Gainesville isn’t near the 3 Florida NFL teams. Syracuse vs Boston College or Pitt who fits their profile more? They won’t admit a team that shares an NFL stadium IMO.

Just have to hope our good track record vs them doesn’t hurt us we do play SEC schools tough and the inside Dome helps us for late season games and isn’t seen as an annoying cowbell like gimmick.

I feel like we’d have more respect among SEC fans than we do the ACC.

SEC doesn’t like pro markets. Baton Rogue vs New Orleans. Gainesville isn’t near the 3 Florida NFL teams. Syracuse vs Boston College or Pitt who fits their profile more? They won’t admit a team that shares an NFL stadium IMO.

Just have to hope our good track record vs them doesn’t hurt us we do play SEC schools tough and the inside Dome helps us for late season games and isn’t seen as an annoying cowbell like gimmick.

I feel like we’d have more respect among SEC fans than we do the ACC.
I think SEC fans understand the history of the game better, hence the respect

A top player would be at an ACC school for 1-2 years. So how exactly would that impact things?
That's a good point and w everybody being transient, is your high school commitment really a 4 year decision?

Being a winning program with NIL is most important as well as having a head coach who wins and develops players. Red is unknown commodity as a coach, but I think his first year with a record of 20-12 and 11-9 in the ACC was very successful, but he probably needs a few more winning seasons to better win over top recruits.

People here who don't care about football might be happy if we end up in the Big East and shut football down or play a horrible independent schedule like UConn. Though the Big East would be preferable to an ACC that's just a glorified AAC.
I don't understand why we can't play in one basketball conference and a different basketball conference

What is the benefit of the bundling of the two?

The Sabres play Canadian cities that the Yankees don't. It doesn't bother me

If they truly cared, they would allow renegotiation to occur or find ways for the ACC to become competitive. That should have been done. Also as I am sure a lot know, ESPN was essentially made by the Big East conference, namely basketball. Do certain things count for anything anymore? I appreciate you sharing this. If the ACC is destroyed, my hope is that we would get a Big 10 invite, well no longer 10 but you know. At full share. We are not Rutgers. The school finally has committed, I believe athletics are absolutely tied to the success of this University. Exposure is critical with better than average academics, hopefully with further improvement noted. We are SU!

Exactly. Other legal experts on here have weighed in, and breaking free of the GOR is an extreme long shot for FSU, Clemson or any other schools. Maybe these lawsuits are just about trying to placate noisy powerful donors and fans at FSU and Clemson to act like the school is doing something to try and exit the league. I don’t see the courts siding with these schools.

Last edited:
If they truly cared, they would allow renegotiation to occur or find ways for the ACC to become competitive. That should have been done. Also as I am sure a lot know, ESPN was essentially made by the Big East conference, namely basketball. Do certain things count for anything anymore? I appreciate you sharing this. If the ACC is destroyed, my hope is that we would get a Big 10 invite, well no longer 10 but you know. At full share. We are not Rutgers. The school finally has committed, I believe athletics are absolutely tied to the success of this University. Exposure is critical with better than average academics, hopefully with further improvement noted. We are SU!
Maybe all the schools should file a lawsuit against the ACC and ESPN.
That might get the attention of the ESPN, that they need to do something.

Maybe all the schools should file a lawsuit against the ACC and ESPN.
That might get the attention of the ESPN, that they need to do something.
ESPN isn’t supporting these lawsuits. They’re trying to keep the conference together. Would you rather it fall apart and Syracuse is left holding the bag?

Last edited:
ESPN isn’t supporting these lawsuits! They’re trying to keep the conference together. Would you rather it fall apart and Syracuse is left holding the bag?
May not even have a bag to hold.

When Colorado announced they were leaving the PAC-12 last summer, Jim Williams wrote that inviting SMU and San Diego State would keep the PAC-12 intact. Now he's saying there will not be a mass exodus of schools from the ACC because ESPN wants the conference to stay together. Another no-brainer prediction from Williams. They have the sweetest long-term broadcasting rights deal imaginable that will continue strangling the ACC's ability to compete with the power conferences for another dozen years.

If they truly cared, they would allow renegotiation to occur or find ways for the ACC to become competitive. That should have been done.
The reason ESPN cares is the same reason certain schools want out - because it’s a good deal for ESPN. ESPN doesn’t care out of the goodness of its heart and if it had to pay more it might not like the conference anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom