Slow death of the ACC takes another major step | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Slow death of the ACC takes another major step

Maybe all the schools should file a lawsuit against the ACC and ESPN.
That might get the attention of the ESPN, that they need to do something.
Look, ESPN is a network that wants to make $$$. Right now, they know that they have the ACC well below current market value. That’s just how things fell with the timing of when the contract was signed. ESPN will not renegotiate because of that, nor should they. Happens in business all the time.

But don’t mistake that with ESPN not valuing the ACC as a property. They do. Very much so. I know that for a fact. That is why they will not budge one inch on the GOR no matter what. FSU and Clemson can kick and scream and dump money on lawyers all they want and it won’t matter a lick. ESPN is 100% behind the ACC. Period. Lock step.

The College Football Playoff committee signed a new deal with ESPN on Tuesday to broadcast the expanded postseason playoffs. The new contract will pay the Big Ten and SEC 29% of the upcoming contract which works out to around $22 million per school. The ACC will receive 17% ($13-14 million per school) and the Big 12 gets around 15% ($12 million per school) and Notre Dame is also expected to receive about $12 million if they qualify for the playoffs. Five conference champions are guaranteed a spot with the last one going to the highest ranked team from an unspecified conference. The remaining seven at-large bids will go to the highest ranked teams. The two powerhouse leagues are pushing for a 14-team playoff which ESPN says could trigger extreme changes to financial payouts by conference.

Last edited:
The College Football Playoff committee signed a new deal with ESPN on Tuesday to broadcast the expanded postseason playoffs. The new contract will pay the Big Ten and SEC 29% of the upcoming contract which works out to around $22 million per school. The ACC will receive 17% ($13-14 million per school) and the Big 12 gets around 15% ($12 million per school) and Notre Dame is also expected to receive about $12 million.
So Clemson and FSU get more money from every single football school other than SEC and Big and they are screaming they were screwed. F them bunch of ignorant, dillisional rednecks.

So Clemson and FSU get more money from every single football school other than SEC and Big and they are screaming they were screwed. F them bunch of ignorant, dillisional rednecks.
The seven at-large bids go to the highest ranked teams in the polls and most of those spots are expected to go to Big Ten and SEC schools. All of the contract details have not been released yet, but if those power conferences get five teams into the playoffs it doesn't seem likely that the payout to those leagues is 29% of the total contract, while the ACC and Big 12 would get 32% of the cut if they each only got one school in. The payouts per school have to reflect the payments to the schools that make the playoffs. Notre Dame would only get $12 million if they make it in. I would also imagine the fifth conference champion that gets an invite will make far less than the other conference champs.

{snip}

And I'll bet most of ACC doesn't really care about playing SU, especially when they
mediocre in most, if not all, things. It sucks that the NCAA can't just enforce leagues
for teams, and I think they could by saying, "do this or lose accreditation". Separate
the football stuff, and send the rest of the schools back into the correct leagues for
all other sports.

{snip
The NCAA can't act on conference realignment because the member schools won't let it.

I think most people would say the GORs are solid, but there are some questions that need to be answered to help understand what comes next. Do the GORs extend past 2027 as that is when the current contract (ESPN has extension rights) runs out? If ESPN doesn't extend the media contract, are the GORs valid? Are the penalties for leaving the conference excessive? A court could rule the exit penalties are too high. Generally, both parties of a contract don't need a copy of a contract for it to be enforceable, but if one party asks for a copy and the other side says no, what are the legal ramifications? Does it matter who signed the contract for the university? In other words, did the signer have the legal right to commit the university to the contract.
They should remain valid because the GoRs are contracts between the schools and the conferences and not with a carrier like ESPN or Fox.

SEC doesn’t like pro markets. Baton Rogue vs New Orleans. Gainesville isn’t near the 3 Florida NFL teams. Syracuse vs Boston College or Pitt who fits their profile more? They won’t admit a team that shares an NFL stadium IMO.

Just have to hope our good track record vs them doesn’t hurt us we do play SEC schools tough and the inside Dome helps us for late season games and isn’t seen as an annoying cowbell like gimmick.

I feel like we’d have more respect among SEC fans than we do the ACC.
The SEC was the area before the pros moved in. They don't have a team in New Orleans anymore because Tulane chose to leave. They don't have a team in Atlanta anymore because Georgia Tech chose to leave. Would they love to still have teams there? I think so.

I don't understand why we can't play in one basketball conference and a different basketball conference

What is the benefit of the bundling of the two?

The Sabres play Canadian cities that the Yankees don't. It doesn't bother me
Umm, uh. The Yankees play in Toronto.

if you're already paying college players 6 figures i suppose the difference with the NFL or NBA is that the college venues are much closer . most fans can't get to a pro game. til now.

Umm, uh. The Yankees play in Toronto.
Reread my post

They play Canadian cities that that the yankees don't. Cities like Montreal Ottawa Vancouver Calgary Edmonton. Umm uh

If I said "and the Yankees don't" you would have a point

I don't understand why we can't play in one basketball conference and a different basketball conference

What is the benefit of the bundling of the two?

The Sabres play Canadian cities that the Yankees don't. It doesn't bother me
Once upon a time, conferences largely existed to make scheduling easier. And since they were all geographically logical, and had like-minded schools as members, it made sense to organize that way.

Obviously those days are long gone, and conferences exist now almost solely as corporate, media negotiation entities.

Without question the most sensical thing to do at this point is to split football off into a Super Duper FBS League with 60-70 members. Then let schools re-organize into new conferences for all of their other sports. Or create sport-specific leagues like exist for hockey (and flourish).

It makes no sense whatsoever to have these bloated all-sports conferences anymore. Which means the dopes who run college sports will no doubt triple-down on that. Because college sports is run by reactive idiots.

Last edited:
To do proper due diligence and get a feel for how FSU's arguments would hold up in a South Carolina court. Frankly we should be doing the same in NY, but probably don;t want to incur the legal fees.
You mean that there aren't any SU alumni law firms willing to take the case pro-bono? Or just a percentage of the payout?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom