So how about that Fox story? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So how about that Fox story?

Im not saying this guy is right. But where is he so wrong:
1) which job is better, SU or UW? Clearly SU is. So why did Hop pass on this job?
2) do you believe for one sec JB wanted to leave after next year? Clearly by accepting this extension he never did.
3) so when Hop took the UW job, why was JB the only option? After Hop took UW job, you truly believe SU couldnt have hired somebody of greater stature/reputation than Hop? Of course they could.

It seems very clear JB never wanted to retire, and in fact resented the whole thing. Lets get past this whole charade. I personally am very happy JB is here longer and it is a complete no brainer that he goes out on his own terms. Hope JB gets Title #2!! Go Cuse!!

That thing should come with a hyperbole alert.

I can't imagine this guy or Thamel generate many page clicks outside of Georgetown or Storrs.

It just is unreal to see people think that a basketball coach makes the decisions for a major university. Oh Lord

The article is 100% correct. People around here just don't want to believe it.
bullsheet. JB will soon retire. Hop was pushed out by higher ups that wanted to put their own mark on the program. JB would not put himself above the program. Pure BS!

bullsheet. JB will soon retire. Hop was pushed out by higher ups that wanted to put their own mark on the program. JB would not put himself above the program. Pure BS!
It just is unreal to see people think that a basketball coach makes the decisions for a major university. Oh Lord
JB IS SU Basketball. Nothing could be more true. And there are many implications that go along with that. Go CUSE

1) which job is better, SU or UW? Clearly SU is. So why did Hop pass on this job?
2) do you believe for one sec JB wanted to leave after next year? Clearly by accepting this extension he never did.
3) so when Hop took the UW job, why was JB the only option? After Hop took UW job, you truly believe SU couldnt have hired somebody of greater stature/reputation than Hop? Of course they could.

It seems very clear JB never wanted to retire, and in fact resented the whole thing. Lets get past this whole charade. I personally am very happy JB is here longer and it is a complete no brainer that he goes out on his own terms. Hope JB gets Title #2!! Go Cuse!!
Washington is a rapidly growing state. If the school wants to make a mark in basketball they have the resources. They can recruit over a large area. Lots of kids prefer Seattle to the slums of inner cities in CA. Seattle is not a long plane ride from Hop's home. Would you rather live your best years in Syracuse or Seattle? A six year contract might be better than a short leash. I have not even got around to the money. I attended Syracuse and the UW and know both cities. Do you?

1. For Hop, UW. Is it hard to believe that someone would want to BUILD his own program with a contract for six years, lots of $$, closer to his family?
2. JB made it clear that he intended to retire. Does that mean he wouldn't miss it? No.
3. JB was the only option for immediate continuity. You (and the recruits) would prefer we lose our entire coaching staff within a year? The University will absolutely hire someone with stature when the time comes. Now is just not the time.

The guy took the shotgun approach. Some of it is likely true. Im not sure how many people in real life, let alone here, will know the truth. I do not like parts of the article, but parts certainly seem more likely than not.

Jack Hall, not surprisingly, had the best analysis of this thread so far.

I'm tempted to start a thread based on this, asking a poll question of whom people support, Boeheim or the bureacrats(oddly, the protagonists of this story! Where else but SU?)? Think such a poll could have traction on here? Populists vs bureacrats?

1. For Hop, UW. Is it hard to believe that someone would want to BUILD his own program with a contract for six years, lots of $$, closer to his family?
2. JB made it clear that he intended to retire. Does that mean he wouldn't miss it? No.
3. JB was the only option for immediate continuity. You (and the recruits) would prefer we lose our entire coaching staff within a year? The University will absolutely hire someone with stature when the time comes. Now is just not the time.

I like your post also. You and Jack are bringing balance to the force, both in ways that can peacefully coexist in my realm of possibilities. I'm not intending to speak for anyone other than myself though. Go Cuse!!

Clearly SU is? You may want to clean your glasses. SU may be a better, more historic program but it doesn't mean its a better job for Hopkins at this time. Its very possible UW pays him twice as much as SU would have. They have also given him a much longer contract than SU would have.

What's a better job to you? The one where you get paid half as much with less security?

1) which job is better, SU or UW? Clearly SU is.
sez you, and you're biased
SU is a small private university located in a small, shrinking, aging city hundreds of miles from any major urban area. The basketball program was largely built by the current coach & is synonymous with his name. The fan base is rabid, considers themselves a blue blood program near peer with Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc and has very high expectations. Finish outside the top 4 in the conference, miss the tournament 3 out of 6 years & get to the second weekend only one of those times and you're considered a failure & run out of town.

U-Dub is the flagship state university, with deeper pockets, located in a large, growing, younger major city. It is more of a football school, has little basketball history to live up to and has reasonable expectations for the new coach. Finish in the top half of the conference, make the NCAAs 3 times in the next 6 years & the Sweet 16 once and he'll be considered a home run hire.

no brainer

For a point of reference, I think I just read that UNC-Wilmington is paying their coach more than Syracuse is paying their hall of fame coach. It is what it is.

it's a life style choice

portlandia-drinking-coffee.0.0.jpg

For a point of reference, I think I just read that UNC-Wilmington is paying their coach more than Syracuse is paying their hall of fame coach. It is what it is.
JB has never felt it necessary to squeeze every last dollar out of the University. He's a rare bird in that way and perhaps it has given him leverage in other areas.

You make many good points, and may wind up being correct! But you say now is not the time, could be but when would be a good time? 1-2 years should do it. If JB gets a contract extension thru 2021-22 then i would say emphatically your take is incorrrect. We shall see.

And in terms of those people saying UW is the better job over SU : they havent made the ncaas since 2011; they havent made an elite 8 since 1953. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?? Go Cuse!!

sez you, and you're biased
SU is a small private university located in a small, shrinking, aging city hundreds of miles from any major urban area. The basketball program was largely built by the current coach & is synonymous with his name. The fan base is rabid, considers themselves a blue blood program near peer with Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc and has very high expectations. Finish outside the top 4 in the conference, miss the tournament 3 out of 6 years & get to the second weekend only one of those times and you're considered a failure & run out of town.

U-Dub is the flagship state university, with deeper pockets, located in a large, growing, younger major city. It is more of a football school, has little basketball history to live up to and has reasonable expectations for the new coach. Finish in the top half of the conference, make the NCAAs 3 times in the next 6 years & the Sweet 16 once and he'll be considered a home run hire.

no brainer

Good post. Very balanced.

Clearly SU is? You may want to clean your glasses. SU may be a better, more historic program but it doesn't mean its a better job for Hopkins at this time. Its very possible UW pays him twice as much as SU would have. They have also given him a much longer contract than SU would have.

What's a better job to you? The one where you get paid half as much with less security?
Could be true for Hop but...If SU can only afford to pay Hop half as much as UW then i would say SU has some very serious problems moving forward trying to compete in the ACC, huge problems...as in better hope JB stays till hes 100 ;-)

Last edited:
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Boeheim is less Machiavellian than Thamel and this guy make him out to be, but the athletic department obviously isn't going to be totally forthcoming.

My guess is that there was some desire from Boeheim to stay beyond the three years, and that was known to Hopkins (they're obviously close). So Hopkins didn't want to put Boeheim in that spot and maybe pushed a little harder to land somewhere else this year. Maybe Wildhack was going to honor the plan, but not give Hopkins as long of a deal as Washington did, and that was known to Mike as well (you'd think it would be). Perhaps between Wildhack and Boeheim, there was a desire to keep JB on a little longer until we stabilize after the sanctions. With all of that going on, Hopkins gets a great offer - longer, pays well, decent school, a chance to do his own thing and not be in Boeheim's shadow... So he takes it.

You can spin that any way you want based on truth and facts, which is why there are so many sides to this. Realistically, it's probably not as bad as some would make it or as sunny as others would make it. That's sports, just like life. The truth usually falls somewhere in the middle.

You make many good points, and may wind up being correct! But you say now is not the time, could be but when would be a good time? 1-2 years should do it. If JB gets a contract extension thru 2021-22 then i would say emphatically your take is incorrrect. We shall see.

And in terms of those people saying UW is the better job over SU : they havent made the ncaas since 2011; they havent made an elite 8 since 1953. WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?? Go Cuse!!
The contract is for 5 years. but I expect JB will walk away after 2 or 3. The sanctions will have expired, and he will have the flexibility at that time to walk away on his own terms, at a time that works best for him and SU.