So I deleted my thread about the jersey... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So I deleted my thread about the jersey...

The Athletic Department needs a thorough spring cleaning.

What a bunch of clowns.

Remember, Gross wants your money. Just trust him, why wouldn't it be well managed?

The problem in a nutshell is a lack of basic common sense because typos happen ALL the time
(as the athletic department may have learned).

The person in charge of ordering the item either didn't check the spelling beforehand or the company that made the item made a mistake.

After that (from Syracuse.com):

"...no one else from the athletic department looked at it before the ceremony began... "

"...it wasn't something that you'd think would need to be looked at beforehand," Giansante said."

Really????

I double check EVERY order I make and then check the item upon receipt...and I'm not conducting half court ceremonies in front of thousands of people. It is inconceivable that no one checked for mistakes beforehand.

If I'm the IRS I know a few audits I'm going to be doing.

Professional competence can be over-valued, ya know ... :rolleyes:

Okay, here is my rant on the subject (since everything I said yesterday got deleted with Jake's post).. Up until a few years ago, Rob Edson was the #2 person in the department. In addition to being one of the nicest people on the planet, he was responsible for practically everything in that department... and did everything flawlessly.

Rob of course, was forced out ... as DG brought in a bunch of his own people... all from the West Coast. In the course of a few years, Rob had been replaced by FOUR people: Renee Baumgartner, Herm Frazier, Terry Donovan and Joe Giansante --- each of whom individually is paid more than Rob was.

The Bouie jersey disaster would not have happened with Rob here. But it happened with some combo of his four replacements. Perhaps the difference is that Rob truly cared about the school and its athletes ... and doing his best job for them.

"What? Why in hell would I know how it's spelled? ...

GROSS.jpg

Okay, here is my rant on the subject (since everything I said yesterday got deleted with Jake's post).. Up until a few years ago, Rob Edson was the #2 person in the department. In addition to being one of the nicest people on the planet, he was responsible for practically everything in that department... and did everything flawlessly.

Rob of course, was forced out ... as DG brought in a bunch of his own people... all from the West Coast. In the course of a few years, Rob had been replaced by FOUR people: Renee Baumgartner, Herm Frazier, Terry Donovan and Joe Giansante --- each of whom individually is paid more than Rob was.

The Bouie jersey disaster would not have happened with Rob here. But it happened with some combo of his four replacements. Perhaps the difference is that Rob knew and truly cared about the school and its athletes ... and doing his best job for them.

Boom

I may have overreacted. But my general angst still stands. Unforgivable mistake that needs to be addressed internally by the university.
I have been off the board some, and someone else might have mentioned it, but I feel compelled to point out that the same thing has happened before.

The first incident happened with the infamous Ernie Davis statue snafu, where when the statue was first unveiled, it featured brand new Nike shoes, complete with big swooshes on the sides. Of course, Nike didn't even exist with ED played.

Dr Gross blamed the sculptor in public for the mistake. The problem was, the sculptor was a sweet elderly man who knew nothing about sports. When he made the statue, he asked SU to provide him with a copy of the uniform Ernie played in: shirt, pants, helmet, shoes, so he could use that as a basis for the statue details. Someone at SU dropped the ball and gave him inappropriate equipment, which was bad enough. Blaming the sculptor though, really was an awful move. I have never seen Orangeyes, who personally recruited the guy, as mad as he got after that episode.

Personal accountability for mistakes is important. I am not saying anyone should be fired. But people need to own up to their mistakes and learn from them. Not seeing much of that from these folks...

I have been off the board some, and someone else might have mentioned it, but I feel compelled to point out that the same thing has happened before.

The first incident happened with the infamous Ernie Davis statue snafu, where when the statue was first unveiled, it featured brand new Nike shoes, complete with big swooshes on the sides. Of course, Nike didn't even exist with ED played.

Dr Gross blamed the sculptor in public for the mistake. The problem was, the sculptor was a sweet elderly man who knew nothing about sports. When he made the statue, he asked SU to provide him with a copy of the uniform Ernie played in: shirt, pants, helmet, shoes, so he could use that as a basis for the statue details. Someone at SU dropped the ball and gave him inappropriate equipment, which was bad enough. Blaming the sculptor though, really was an awful move. I have never seen Orangeyes, who personally recruited the guy, as mad as he got after that episode.

Personal accountability for mistakes is important. I am not saying anyone should be fired. But people need to own up to their mistakes and learn from them. Not seeing much of that from these folks...
Yes - that was covered in the deleted thread as was the fiasco of statue #1 attempt resulting something resembling a young Mel Brooks, John McEnroe, Robert Guillame (take yer pick) - with one arm attached backwards and possessing only three fingers.

The irony is that it is so easy to make a sincere apology that, when you make it, people are ready to forgive you almost immediately. Contrast "I regret that an error was made," to "I am so sorry that this happened and I take 100% of the blame. This fine man deserves better than a mis-spelled name and on behalf of myself, my department and the entire university I extend a sincere apology to (fill in the blank). This is in no way reflects disrespect towards (fill in the blank) but is a reflection of a c**k up of enormous proportions and I tender my resignation immediately."

The Bouie jersey disaster would not have happened with Rob here. But it happened with some combo of his four replacements. Perhaps the difference is that Rob knew and truly cared about the school and its athletes ... and doing his best job for them.

Wow. Just wow.

I have been on the board for 14 years and I have never seen you comment on a sensitive University situation.

The fact that you are doing so, to me, speaks volumes about the level of anger and frustration you are feeling at, yet another, athletic department fiasco and the cavalier attitude being displayed by the participants involved.

This must be like going to sleep at 6 sigma and waking up on the Island of Misfit Toys.

Last edited:
I still am embarrassed and get upset at Giansante's response. That was just disgraceful. He needs to go.

I read that to a few of my communications team members here at work this morning and they laughed and couldn't believe that was a professional.

i'm too lazy to check whether this same point got deleted with everything else

this is like Van Halen not wanting brown m&ms backstage. it was their simple way to tell if venues pay attention to detail. it's not that it was actually important that they didn't get brown m&m's.

This is a giant brown m&m that they showed off to the entire world

what kind of careless bullsh!t are they doing when they know no one's watching?

As I noted in the deleted thread, too bad they didn't accidentally retire #46 a number of years ago in front of a half filled Dome. That way there would be no issue about offering Robert Washington #44.

SUOrange44

what kind of careless bullsh!t are they doing when they know no one's watching?
100% correct. The things that I now have to question about SU's athletic program are too numerous to mention. What's it going to take to get Giansante out of there? The fact that Gross is not taking action is what should place him in peril with the chancellor.

And my last point and comment on this matter. There are several hundred (or more) Syracuse grads working in the media and in sports management that would not have made this error or have allowed this error to occur because "they did not think it was something that needed to be checked." Apparently none of them work in the SU Athletic Department or at least the Marketing department within the AD. One would think if the people there actually gave a crap about SU that everyone, I mean everyone would have been waiting to get a look at the jerseys when they came in. Fact is they don't care. And when you have people that don't care running your athletic department and especially the marketing of it then what hope is there of accomplishing their job promoting the university and its athletes? I want Giansante gone, not some flunky he tasked with ordering the jerseys. Send him back to Oregon where he can tell everyone how to spell Bellotti and Mariota.

Last edited:
Wow. Just wow.

I have been on the board for 14 years and I have never seen you comment on a sensitive University situation.

The fact that you are doing so, to me, speaks volumes about the level of anger and frustration you are feeling at, yet another, athletic department fiasco and the cavalier attitude being displayed by the participants involved.

This must be like going to sleep at 6 sigma and waking up on the Island of Misfit Toys.
they are 6 smegma certified

Holy Mackerel. I work at a small community college, not at a prestigious bastion of academe such as Syracuse University. I had a sign placed commemorating a long time professor and naming a thoroughfare on campus after said emeritus professor. The design for the sign was proofed by no fewer than 4 senior administrators and the finished project was reviewed by twice that many more prior to installation and unveiling. We even got a copy of his own resume from the archives to proof against the spelling of his last name, just to be sure. And it was seen at the unveiling by a crowd of dozens, not tens of thousands.

CTO, when the Chancellor is ready to do some hiring, please throw my hat in the ring for me.

add in the incompetent ridiculous way they handled my 1959 National Championship football signed by ED (you know their one and only Heisman winner on their one and only national championship team), that I tried to donate. Not sure what it does if it makes me madder or sadder that this is my team and school I choose to follow.

Yes - that was covered in the deleted thread as was the fiasco of statue #1 attempt resulting something resembling a young Mel Brooks, John McEnroe, Robert Guillame (take yer pick) - with one arm attached backwards and possessing only three fingers.
I forget about that disaster. Dan arranged to have Bruno do the statue and got the funds committed, but Dr Gross decided to switch to some no name sculptor out of Rochester. When they tried to show it during a football game, it got an awful reaction. That sculptor was a disaster from day one. After that, Dan was forced to go hat in hand to Bruno, and ask him if he would do the statue after having it pulled from him already once.

There is a pattern of bad judgement, lack of follow through and lack of accountability that needs to stop. The coming penalties for the basketball program are another example where the athletic director and his staff did not do their job. I hope this gets addressed someday soon.

I forget about that disaster. Dan arranged to have Bruno do the statue and got the funds committed, but Dr Gross decided to switch to some no name sculptor out of Rochester. When they tried to show it during a football game, it got an awful reaction. That sculptor was a disaster from day one. After that, Dan was forced to go hat in hand to Bruno, and ask him if he would do the statue after having it pulled from him already once.

There is a pattern of bad judgement, lack of follow through and lack of accountability that needs to stop. The coming penalties for the basketball program are another example where the athletic director and his staff did not do their job. I hope this gets addressed someday soon.
how do you not pull the plug? where are the people on his staff with any balls to speak up? i can't believe they're all that stupid - but I can believe that gross is such a impulsive child that people just keep their mouth shuts around him.

how does cantor not pull the plug on him?

sometimes projects go bad. part of being a grownup is admitting it

Cuseregular said:
add in the incompetent ridiculous way they handled my 1959 National Championship football signed by ED (you know their one and only Heisman winner on their one and only national championship team), that I tried to donate. Not sure what it does if it makes me madder or sadder that this is my team and school I choose to follow.
Can I have the details here CR?

She's powerless!
i meant, how did she not pull the plug on him back then. i know she's been promoted to the patterson branch of bryant and stratton

cto said:
Okay, here is my rant on the subject (since everything I said yesterday got deleted with Jake's post).. Up until a few years ago, Rob Edson was the #2 person in the department. In addition to being one of the nicest people on the planet, he was responsible for practically everything in that department... and did everything flawlessly. Rob of course, was forced out ... as DG brought in a bunch of his own people... all from the West Coast. In the course of a few years, Rob had been replaced by FOUR people: Renee Baumgartner, Herm Frazier, Terry Donovan and Joe Giansante --- each of whom individually is paid more than Rob was. The Bouie jersey disaster would not have happened with Rob here. But it happened with some combo of his four replacements. Perhaps the difference is that Rob knew and truly cared about the school and its athletes ... and doing his best job for them.
See this is interesting. I didn't know that about Edson. Was Rob seriously considered for the top spot and if so why didn't he get it? On the topic at hand my major issue isn't that the jersey was spelled wrong but it's a sign that the dept doesn't pay attention to details. That coupled with the other noted issues and the NCAA investigation show an endemic problem. It seems very clear that a house cleaning is in order. This cannot be the Syracuse standard. Maybe then, but not now. There's way too much at stake.

Can I have the details here CR?
long story short. Call several times, no return call at first. Call again, someone finally calls back. They say to come up at an appointed time. I show up. No one has any idea at the office they told me to go to. They figure out someone for me to see, me sitting there with my shiny little football in it's cushy display box.

The person they have me see is very far down the chain and nice as all get out but flat out slow and incompetent. She brings me in her office which literally has no room on her desk for the ball. She says well lets go into the main central shared office area where theres a big central desk with tons of students working at computers with their food and drink strewn about.

Having asked to see the ball she handles it, lets say not delicately, and then places it on the central table on top of pile of who knows what where it rolls off the who knows what, knocking over a (thankfully closed) soda bottle, narrowly missing a not so closed cup of coffee.

I maintaining my best fake smile pick it up and place it back in the display case asking where they plan to display it. She tells me where in the hallway of Manley in the glass display case. I check it out and its ricketly and essentially unsafe where nearly anyone with intent could get in there (which explains and in my head of as to how and why someone probably had no problem stealing the heisman years back).

I then go back into the main central office, see she's not there and me, my case and my ball then make a quick exit stage right leaving the place as soon as I could. No call about it and the ball continues to sit in my man cave basement SU shrine since.

Last edited:
Millhouse said:
i meant, how did she not pull the plug on him back then. i know she's been promoted to the patterson branch of bryant and stratton
She brought him in right? It's like stabbing yourself in your palm. Bad leaders are always afraid to admit mistakes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom