So, if Mike Hopkins phone rings does he answer or send to VM? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

So, if Mike Hopkins phone rings does he answer or send to VM?

My only solace is that a good hire can turn things around in hoops with 1 great class.

He will do what most men nowadays do, listen to what his wife tells him. And her family is from here. And he'll like it.

After the screw job Wildhack did to her husband, what makes you think Tricia would let him take the job?

After the screw job Wildhack did to her husband, what makes you think Tricia would let him take the job?
Do you think that this program is the kind where an assistant coach should takeover, do the Hopkins think that? 1 or 2 down years with no tourney and the mob would run him out of town on a rail. And that would likely be the end of his head coaching career. Look how they go after Buddy, do you really think Mike would get some grace period? I don't. Wildhack did them a huge favor and now he gets to find his coaching chops at a place with zero expectations and pressures. If he/she have some grudge, so be it.

I doubt Hopkins would want to come back and work for Wildhack and Syverud after they backed out of the original plan to name him HC. Could be wrong.

I also doubt JB is going to want to leave after Buddy is done. I think he'll want to stay. Could be wrong.

Here's a name that could be a stopgap solution: Jim Calhoun.

Be mindful of what you post in this thread, everyone. You don't want to be embarrassed when it gets bumped in 4 years (which is when it *may* be relevant).

:)
LOL... I have no idea where I will be in 4 years but I am definitely bumping this thread again.

No.

Siena didn’t hire him because he had zero D1 expierience. Why would we?
Because we are buying into his vision? The biggest change to D1 and a school like Syracuse is probably the recruiting aspect... he would need to get up to speed very quickly.

I wonder if we would hire him as an assistant coach just to get some fresh blood.

When did this happen?
This isn't directed at you personally, but I distinctly remember a post from someone on the recruiting board the fall before Hop left saying that JAB was making a lot of noise behind the scenes about scrapping the retirement plan and getting an extension. Six months later Hop was at UW and Boeheim had an extension.

I haven't found that post since. Maybe I'm just cray.

People keep forgetting that Hop has interviewed for multiple positions over the past decade. There were no iron clad loyalty deals anywhere on The Hill.

probably just gaze at the ocean, take a hit and pass the bong back to bill walton . west coasting.

Hopkins is from the west coast .. there is a tangible difference between west coasters and east coasters .. the wiring is different .. and yes .. Seattle and so cal people share that wiring despite the differences in climate / weather between the places

I believe you, but Hopkins also lived in Syracuse from age 18 to...what, 47-48?

He lived in Cuse a lot longer than he lived on the west coast.

a
I believe you, but Hopkins also lived in Syracuse from age 18 to...what, 47-48?

He lived in Cuse a lot longer than he lived on the west coast.

As someone who has lived in a bunch of places .. living somewhere from childhood to 18 has a hell of a bigger effect on you than where you live From 18-48

Those 18 years are like dog years

This isn't directed at you personally, but I distinctly remember a post from someone on the recruiting board the fall before Hop left saying that JAB was making a lot of noise behind the scenes about scrapping the retirement plan and getting an extension. Six months later Hop was at UW and Boeheim had an extension.

I haven't found that post since. Maybe I'm just cray.

Hopkins wasn't screwed or forced out. Syverud was trying to hold Boeheim to the timetable even though Buddy would be coming in and Boeheim in general wasn't interested in retiring as the date came. It was pretty obvious to Hopkins and he didn't want to be involved in that power play to someone he sees as a mentor/father figure. So he had his agent start putting feelers out for jobs and was able to get a job he thought was a tremendous opportunity. It's time to move on from this though. It really gets old if we lose 3 in a row our get off to a bad start is it really necessary to talk ad nauseum about Hop leaving and zone defense and that Boeheim is too old etc. This is not directed at you personally.

I love Hop as much as the next person and everything he has done for this University but the programs needs a change of ideas and new blood.
I agree...I'd also be very curious as to the names of the "interested" applicants we would see, and more importantly, who would the school even consider as potential options. I feel like this would and should be a very desireable job. I wonder if the potential candidates would reflect that.

So true. I have been present when he literally has told multiple people with half the team there that this is Syracuse West. That is what he calls it to recruits and to anyone who asks. This is what we did at Syracuse and this is how we are going to do it here. I know he texts with Griff just about every day.
Exactly. If Hopkins and the former Cuse staff still communicate and text each other, it is clear they moved on. I remember reading that Boeheim and Hopkins remain in touch. Let's just be happy he is doing well at UW. He's a stand up guy, and who knows, maybe there is a reason to come back to Cuse one day. I bet he stays out there and builds a team that is perennially in the upper tier of the Pac 12. There is no reason for the fans to be bitter if the actual parties still have a pleasant relationship.

the fall before Hop left saying that JAB was making a lot of noise behind the scenes about scrapping the retirement plan and getting an extension. Six months later Hop was at UW and Boeheim had an extension.
Not the exact transcript but it's pretty close. An fixed timeline agreement was in place because of the 2nd probation and JB acted like a 5-year-old. Hop had no choice but to leave and fortunately Washington was a good fit.

Hop is laughing his tail off right now
I'm not sure he is. He recruited a lot of the players on the team right now. He's very close with a lot of them. He's very close with a lot of the assistant coaches, S&C staff, Carrier Dome staff, SU admin, and others involved with the program. I don't think Hop is petty like that.

If the principal parties are past any hard feelings, what the heck don't we schedule a series with UW. It would be against a P5 team and would fill the dome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom