So, if Mike Hopkins phone rings does he answer or send to VM? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

So, if Mike Hopkins phone rings does he answer or send to VM?

If the principal parties are past any hard feelings, what the heck don't we schedule a series with UW. It would be against a P5 team and would fill the dome.
Because the conference schedule is expanding to 20 games, and it squeezes the OOC schedule big time. If all that wasn't happening, I would love to set that series happen. You know the NCAA committee would love to see it happen too, if we ever get the change to meet in the tourney

Edit - Jake is totally right, but as a fan it is still a cool idea

hopefully the NCAA committee has a sense of irony then. (that is if we make the tourney)

Because the conference schedule is expanding to 20 games, and it squeezes the OOC schedule big time. If all that wasn't happening, I would love to set that series happen. You know the NCAA committee would love to see it happen too, if we ever get the change to meet in the tourney

Edit - Jake is totally right, but as a fan it is still a cool idea
I'd rather take a loss to Washington than UB, Gtown, ODU or UCONN, if we were to lose. And I would be happy for Hopkins if it helped his program. For JB. I guess it's too personal.

but i thought college sports was driven by revenue ? this match would fill seats for sure.

If the principal parties are past any hard feelings, what the heck don't we schedule a series with UW. It would be against a P5 team and would fill the dome.
JB hates playing his good friends. He only does it if forced into it.

never stopped him from playing cupcakes like louie orr, murphy, bland or stevie t. they friends ?

Last edited:
He would, but as long as his parents are alive he will remain out West IMO.

I'm not worried. Even if we continue to struggle until JB retires, we're still an elite program. ACC money, Carrier Dome, strong Northeast recruiting ties, etc. I have no doubt Wildhack/Syverud will hire the Basketball equivalent of Dino Babers, whoever that may be.

Last edited:
My guess would be it depends on what shows up on the caller ID, and what he's doing at the time, such as quality time with his wife.

My guess would be it depends on what shows up on the caller ID, and what he's doing at the time, such as quality time with his wife.

Well, that didn't stop Rick Pitino, but in retrospect, that's probably not so surprising.

I'm not worried. Even if we continue to struggle until JB retires, we're still an elite program. ACC money, Carrier Dome, strong Northeast recruiting ties, etc. I have no doubt Wildhack/Syverud will want to hire the Basketball equivalent of Dino Babers, whoever that may be.
I agree about Mike's parents and for Mike's sake I hope he has many years left with them! Also SU will hire someone right to takeover too much at stake not to!

I'm not worried. Even if we continue to struggle until JB retires, we're still an elite program. ACC money, Carrier Dome, strong Northeast recruiting ties, etc. I have no doubt Wildhack/Syverud will hire the Basketball equivalent of Dino Babers, whoever that may be.
I hope that coach wants to come to Syracuse. If things continue as is, I'm not sure we are a prime job.

Yep. The one who reneged on the agreement.
He didn’t renege. JB didn’t want to retire. Hop wasn’t being allowed to control recruiting for when he was taking over. He was doing what JB wanted and he realized the fanbase wasn’t going to give him a long leash after the 9 game trial run.

So Hop left quietly without forcing out his mentor and got a good job on the other coast and his parents get to experience it.

Wildhack didn’t screw Hop. If anybody did it was JB because he wasn’t ready to retire like the original announcement said and that was because JB wasn’t letting the NCAA dictate the end of his career and being able to coach his son.

I hope that coach wants to come to Syracuse. If things continue as is, I'm not sure we are a prime job.

I’m optimisic it will be. Everything is in place, Dome upgrade, conference, etc. It’s JB and the style of play holding the program hostage. He’s a legend but it’s time. You get an exciting brand of basketball in here with value on fundamentals and we’ll be fine. Just hope it happens sooner than later. There are too many bright young minds out there who are grinders as well. Gotta make a Babers-like homerun and god forbid a GMac with no experience.

Last edited:
He didn’t renege. JB didn’t want to retire. Hop wasn’t being allowed to control recruiting for when he was taking over. He was doing what JB wanted and he realized the fanbase wasn’t going to give him a long leash after the 9 game trial run.

So Hop left quietly without forcing out his mentor and got a good job on the other coast and his parents get to experience it.

Wildhack didn’t screw Hop. If anybody did it was JB because he wasn’t ready to retire like the original announcement said and that was because JB wasn’t letting the NCAA dictate the end of his career and being able to coach his son.
100% correct

I’m optimisic it will be. Everything is in place, Dome upgrade, etc. It’s JB and the style of play holding the program hostage. He’s a legend but it’s time. You get an exciting brand of basketball in here with value on fundamentals and we’ll be fine. Just hope it happens sooner than later. There are too many bright young minds out there who are grinders as well. Gotta make a Babers-like homerun and god forbid a GMac with no experience.
I agree. If Hop doesn’t appreciate it now, he’ll appreciate it in a few more years—the PAC 12 is not good and it’ll be hard to win a national championship in that conference. The competition just isn’t good enough.

I agree. If Hop doesn’t appreciate it now, he’ll appreciate it in a few more years—the PAC 12 is not good and it’ll be hard to win a national championship in that conference. The competition just isn’t good enough.

Yup and I went to USC. State of that conference is in really bad shape for basketball and football currently.

I’m optimisic it will be. Everything is in place, Dome upgrade, conference, etc. It’s JB and the style of play holding the program hostage. He’s a legend but it’s time. You get an exciting brand of basketball in here with value on fundamentals and we’ll be fine. Just hope it happens sooner than later. There are too many bright young minds out there who are grinders as well. Gotta make a Babers-like homerun and god forbid a GMac with no experience.
8By the time JB retires the program could be in shambles. We haven't been good since the 25-0 start with Ennis. Good recruits aren't coming here, and the longer JB stays the harder it will be to rebuild.

Let me preface this with that I believe Hop is going to be a long term success at Washington.

However, their season is looking at a lot like ours right now (they're 8-4 and have lost to all top ranked opponents - we thankfully have the win over OSU).

Hop currently has a four-star SG (just ranked on the top 100), a three start PG (ranked in the 270s) and Green (which fell into his lap and may just be the player he has shown at UK). The class without Green is ranked 57th in the nation. A lot of this is being based off the hypothetical commitment of Stewart (out of the schools on his list, if it's not us then I personally hope it's them).

8By the time JB retires the program could be in shambles. We haven't been good since the 25-0 start with Ennis. Good recruits aren't coming here, and the longer JB stays the harder it will be to rebuild.

Little bit of hyperbole here. Being on the bubble isn’t shambles and the roster is full for 4 star talent with more coming next year.

Let me preface this with that I believe Hop is going to be a long term success at Washington.

However, their season is looking at a lot like ours right now (they're 8-4 and have lost to all top ranked opponents - we thankfully have the win over OSU).

Hop currently has a four-star SG (just ranked on the top 100), a three start PG (ranked in the 270s) and Green (which fell into his lap and may just be the player he has shown at UK). The class without Green is ranked 57th in the nation. A lot of this is being based off the hypothetical commitment of Stewart (out of the schools on his list, if it's not us then I personally hope it's them).

Don't forget Jaden McDaniels, who is also considered a top 10 player. The hope around UW is that Hop lands either Steawrt or McDaniels. If he lands both, then UW will be a serious championship contender. Don't get either and they are probably a bubble team at best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom