Some end of season thoughts... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Some end of season thoughts...

First if all, any season that ends in a final four is special. You can never take away the experience as a fan or player. Awesome job by the staff and players to finish the season strong after what looked like a disastrous ending was imminent.

Ultimately, we lost the way I think we all figured it would end - short on scoring.

Give Michigan credit, they did enough to beat our zone, and we really couldn't answer consistently. Too many empty trips in this game.

Surprised James couldn't get it going, he got looks, but didn't knock them down. Those points were always going to be the difference maker tonight.

Those calls by the refs were probably incorrect, but at full speed, they're hard calls. My only bitch is MCWs 4th.

The final play? Meh. Hard to put Trevor in that spot. I'd rather James take a guarded 25 footer.

Brandon went down fighting - no shame in that. Michael struggled, but he's got a bright future ahead of him.

Next year will be different. Very young unproven talent outside of CJ. Kind of reminds me of the 97 team after we lost Wallace. Could be very bumpy unless one of the new guys steps up big - I'm hoping Roberson could be that guy.

If I told you three weeks ago that we'd make the final four and keep hop on staff, I think we'd all sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Lets get this NCAA thing behind us soon, deal with its consequences and move forward.
well, i am hearing we won't have to worry about making the tournament next year, so we have that going for us.

First if all, any season that ends in a final four is special. You can never take away the experience as a fan or player. Awesome job by the staff and players to finish the season strong after what looked like a disastrous ending was imminent.

Ultimately, we lost the way I think we all figured it would end - short on scoring.

Give Michigan credit, they did enough to beat our zone, and we really couldn't answer consistently. Too many empty trips in this game.

Surprised James couldn't get it going, he got looks, but didn't knock them down. Those points were always going to be the difference maker tonight.

Those calls by the refs were probably incorrect, but at full speed, they're hard calls. My only bitch is MCWs 4th.

The final play? Meh. Hard to put Trevor in that spot. I'd rather James take a guarded 25 footer.

Brandon went down fighting - no shame in that. Michael struggled, but he's got a bright future ahead of him.

Next year will be different. Very young unproven talent outside of CJ. Kind of reminds me of the 97 team after we lost Wallace. Could be very bumpy unless one of the new guys steps up big - I'm hoping Roberson could be that guy.

If I told you three weeks ago that we'd make the final four and keep hop on staff, I think we'd all sign up for that in a heartbeat.

Lets get this NCAA thing behind us soon, deal with its consequences and move forward.

I think we are going to have much more talent than we had in '97.

in my opinion James never learned to make use of his length and athleticism to impact a game in areas other than jacking up threes. I think he could've been a much better rebounder and great off the ball defender, especially blocking shots. So goes his three's so goes James.

Thats why I am curious to see so many posts in other threads regarding next years lineup that do not have Grant in the starting lineup. I do not think there is any way he does not start, he will defend, provide points and rebound. He will be a stat stuffer who will be able to score in many ways. I believe an occasional three will be part of his game but it will not affect his over all game if they are not falling. Despite the lack of experience at point, this will be a much more well rounded team that will take pressure of Ennis.
James is such an unusual player. He is really more of a 2G except he has no handle so he couldn't play that spot. He's not a true forward because he really has no moves on the block and shies away from the physical contact involved in rebounding. Though his game improved the last 2 years he was most comfortable as the designated 3 pt shooter. We will miss his shooting ability next year.

Agree. However looking at the 2003 national championship team they had three guys who had the green light to shoot threes: GMac, Duany and Melo. Statistically speaking none of them were great (35%, 34% and 33% respectively). Two things about this in my mind: 1) They had three guys that could make shots with just enough frequency to keep teams honest which created spacing for others to operate 2) That their games were not entirely limited to the three point shot i.e. they can put pressure on defenses scoring in other ways as well. For CJ and Grant make at least one out of every three and find another decent three point shooter on the floor and I think that will be enough. As to who takes the shot in the clutch I would look to CJ at this point. I guess my point is that I do not think you necessarily need a designated shooter as long as you have multiple players that can make 33% and I thnk CJ and Grant will shoot better than 33% - just my opinion.

James is such an unusual player. He is really more of a 2G except he has no handle so he couldn't play that spot. He's not a true forward because he really has no moves on the block and shies away from the physical contact involved in rebounding. Though his game improved the last 2 years he was most comfortable as the designated 3 pt shooter. We will miss his shooting ability next year.
It's very tough for me to talk about James. He really is one dimensional, and I don't want that to sound negative, but unfortunately it is what it is. One thing is that he knows his strenghts and weaknesses and usually doesn't deviate from that. I actually thought that we should have kept feeding him last night. He really was the key the a big part of the season. When JSIII was hitting threes, MCW was most comfortable and the offensive end was much more fluid. Last night there were definitely some What plays and I don't think it was because Michigan was that dominant on defense.

well james missed a trey and was brutally pancake blocked twice by mcgary all in the first minute of play.
rough start mightta got into his head cuz he went into hiding until he finally woke up the final 2 minutes.

I think one stat not many have mentioned was the second chance opportunities. They must of had at least 5 or 6 crucial ones that lead to more points for them. But honestly we just didn't play well in the first half, we looked lost minus CJ.
Totally agree. Most of their open, non-30ft. threes were off of tip-outs from McGary. Hardaway had at least two.

Good Post. I'm most concerned about the two points above. This was a great season yet we've had two better teams in the past four years. It makes for a sad irony, but the players and coaches really contrived a huge turnaround with a great run that almost resulted in a championship.

Secondly, people are hinting about consequences resulting from the NCAA thing that make it seem as though there are going to be some harsh impacts. I hope that's not correct. I like the momentum we have as a program and especially hope the program is performing within acceptable tolerances. However it turns out, it would be good to get it behind us and move forward.

well james missed a trey and was brutally pancake blocked twice by mcgary all in the first minute of play.
rough start mightta got into his head cuz he went into hiding until he finally woke up the final 2 minutes.

He was fouled on that block by the first kid in, McGary's block was clean. The replay (one of the few they showed) was pretty clear that he got all eblow making the block pretty much a given since he was losing the ball.

CBS was just horrible with both the angles they shot and the lack of replays. i can remember cuse (i think mcw) getting whistled for an offensive foul shown from a cross court view. crucial game call and yet cbs never even showed a replay or better angle of what happened. they should NEVER get this bid again.

JB said that the main reason we beat TJ Ford and Texas in '03 was because our offense finally played a complete game, otherwise we'd have probably lost.
It's always been about offense w/ this team- the defense was as good or better than any we've ever had. But put in proper perspective, this turned out to be one helluva year. LGO
SUball

That '03 team was one of the best offensive teams JB ever fielded. Troy Weaver even stated that he felt strongly about our chances in the FF that year because we scored 80 ppg in the BE, where defense is played every single possession. He felt that 80 would have translated to 90 in the Big 12 because they were more of a push-the-ball kind of league. Troy knew his shite and pegged that dead on. All we needed last night was one more scorer on the floor. That dunk by JS late in the game had me thinking 'My God, where would we be if he had done that 5 minutes earlier?' It's probably for the best that we didn't force OT. It would have been a disaster without MCW and Triche.

I think Grant and Coleman both make a huge freshmen to sophomore leap

Jake- First of all, this was my first year as a hardcore fan of SU basketball and it was a treat indeed. I think this team overacheived and I love the fact that for the most part they put it all out on the floor most nights. Out of the new guys coming in year, who do you think can step in and make three's and make jump shots in general? How good is Ennis in that regard? I am excited to see what the new team will look like next year and and hopefully they will be a contender by the end of the year or setup to be one for the 2015.

My biggest concern of course are the potential NCAA sanctions. Based on what you know, what is the probability that we could see post season bans(my only real concern) if anything at all? Also, do you think we will have this behind us before the end of the summer?

Jake prognosticated that 63 points, I believe, would be required to beat Michigan, and for the right reasons.

Hmm...nailed it? My hat is off to that particular call, to the extent proper respect has not yet been paid.

CBS was just horrible with both the angles they shot and the lack of replays. i can remember cuse (i think mcw) getting whistled for an offensive foul shown from a cross court view. crucial game call and yet cbs never even showed a replay or better angle of what happened. they should NEVER get this bid again.

If you're including the 4th foul on MCW and the 5th on Triche...that's not true.
CBS replayed both and the PBP'ers stated the call might have been wrong on each.

I've had some issues with CBS (Floyd Mayweather at halftime...AWFUL).
But not on their replays of big plays.

While on topic of CBS...memo to Clark Kellogg:
It is not necessary to talk AFTER EVERY PLAY and try to ADD FAUX EXCITEMENT.
What happened to you, man?
You used to be solid...now it's endless chatter and sometimes gibberish.
Go back to the basics.
Be the guy we'd want to attend a game with and who adds some insight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom