Something has to be done to increase offense in CBB... | Syracusefan.com

Something has to be done to increase offense in CBB...

Jake

Mod
its really reached a critical point IMO. I don't think there is a silver bullet, but there has to be a concerted effort to make offense attainable. Too many teams struggle to get to 60 points.

I have two small changes I think could help. Reduce the shot clock to 30 seconds and adjust the 3-second violation to 5-seconds.

I think it would turn up the tempo slightly.

Reactions: cto
its really reached a critical point IMO. I don't think there is a silver bullet, but there has to be a concerted effort to make offense attainable. Too many teams struggle to get to 60 points.

About a week ago, Bilas during a game telecast was complaining about how college officiating has let too many games devolve into scrums, and how something has to change because the refs are allowing a style of play in many games that significantly advantages physical teams that dare officials to call fouls every play, and when that invariably doesn't happen, they get away with a ton.

Also in his column last week, Seth Davis made a similar point, and hinted at pending rule changes that could be implemented as soon as this offseason to reemphasize scoring and put a stop to thug ball.

One can only hope.

What people are not factoring in is that there is some pretty good defense being played as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they should stop calling illegal screens. Oh wait...

8-second back court?

Eliminate the charge call. If I guy extends his arm and pushes off call an offensive foul. When did it become good defense to stand (or in some cases slide under a player) and get run over?

Lots of good suggestions here...and while defenses are pretty good, I think there are too many offenses running a simply high screen and treating it like an offensive set.

Pros can execute this, college players too often can't.

Eliminate the charge call. If I guy extends his arm and pushes off call an offensive foul. When did it become good defense to stand (or in some cases slide under a player) and get run over?
I see what you're saying, but you can't completely eliminate the charge.

If you think its bad now wait until we get to the ACC. You will see more charges than ever. All the teams emulate Duke. All they try to do is draw charges. They plant themselves like land mines in the paint.

If you think its bad now wait until we get to the ACC. You will see more charges than ever. All the teams emulate Duke. All they try to do is draw charges. They plant themselves like land mines in the paint.
And fall like trees in a Tornado.

You're right, but as much as I hate the charge I would rather have teams do that than get away with the bodying up that teams like Pitt and Cincy get away with on the perimeter in the Big East. I also think we are going to kill a lot of ACC teams with our transition game since there seems to be more ACC teams that are willing to try to run than Big East teams, which plays to our traditional strengths.

About a week ago, Bilas during a game telecast was complaining about how college officiating has let too many games devolve into scrums, and how something has to change because the refs are allowing a style of play in many games that significantly advantages physical teams that dare officials to call fouls every play, and when that invariably doesn't happen, they get away with a ton.

Also in his column last week, Seth Davis made a similar point, and hinted at pending rule changes that could be implemented as soon as this offseason to reemphasize scoring and put a stop to thug ball.

One can only hope.

THIS

Bilas is 100% right. The game is not being officiated correctly anymore. Fouls are not being called by the rulebook. I'm so sick of hearing things like:

It's the Big East
The refs are letting them play
You can't call THAT at THIS point (my least favorite)

A foul is a foul no matter when and where it takes place. I can't stand seeing a player with the ball slam into a defender while driving and NOTHING is called! I don't want a whistlefest, but if fouls are not called, what stops a player from "fouling" every time down the floor? The constant bumping on the perimeter. The defender riding the man with the ball all the way up the court. The way the game is called now absolutely favors the defense.

I think it all comes down to teams being more competitive against each other. Closer games equal lower scores (most of the time) players tend to play tighter.

Bilas has been on a lot of this and a lot have been addressed in this thread already but the main things that need to be done are:
  • Stop calling charges so often (if it's not obvious, call it a block)
  • Call fouls for bodying into shooters/drivers (call this the anti-Pitt rule)
  • Call fouls for hand-checks on dribblers (call this the anti-Aaron Craft rule)
  • Call more fouls on defenders holding up cutters off the ball
  • Not going to happen, but cut timeouts to 3 per team for a game. Allow players to play and stop coaches from over-coaching each possession
Let the offense have more freedom to move and create action. The way the game is called now is tilted way too favorably to the defense. The reason there is so much ball-screen offense right now is that it's too hard to run any other organized offense. The timing isn't there because cutters are not allowed to get to their spots by defenders holding and bumping. A 30-sec shot clock would be another good move but only if the fouling situations are addressed first, otherwise we'll get even more rushed possessions and more poor shots.

i think moving the 3pt line to the nba line would help to stretch things out- add to that a shorter shot clock and no hand checking

Take away:

-hand checking
-call the high moving screen
-give the defender an entitlement of space to play defense. If you stand there like a jackass waiting to get run over (that isn't a defensive position you get called for block for being in the way.
-push the 3 point line back (need more guys like CJ in the game)
-Take AAU basketball, blow it up, and give it back to the high schools

The lack of calls on moving screens drives me crazy. Maybe it's because I feel our guys are constantly fighting through illegal screens.

Hand checks are constantly uncalled too. There's a lot of clutching and grabbing going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom