Women's Lacrosse - SU 7 vs Boston College 8: Fri May 26, 5:30 PM [NCAA Semis] | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Women's Lacrosse SU 7 vs Boston College 8: Fri May 26, 5:30 PM [NCAA Semis]

After we went up 3, 5 minutes into the game, BC went on an 8-4 run for the remaining 55 minutes of the game. This was the end of each offensive possession
  • goal
  • saved
  • goal
  • high
  • high
  • goal
  • blocked
  • wide
  • saved
  • wide
  • saved
  • turnover
  • turnover
  • turnover
  • saved
  • turnover
  • goal
  • turnover
  • saved
  • saved
  • saved
  • wide
  • goal
  • turnover
  • blocked
  • goal
  • turnover
  • wide
  • goal
  • turnover
  • wide
  • blocked
  • turnover
  • turnover
  • wide
  • turnover
  • high
  • blocked

Can’t imagine Desko telling senior Mikey Powell to hang out on the perimeter because he was face guarded by a freshman.

WTAF
Gait face guarded Charlotte North two years ago during the regular season game and it worked, she basically did nothing and Cuse won. She looked similar to Tyrell tonight. Then in the national championship game he didn’t face guard her and SU lost 16-10. I’m still wondering why he didn't

Last edited:
I didn't watch the game so probably don't deserve to have an opinion on this- someone please correct me if I am missing something obvious. After I checked the box, almost fainting at M. Tyrrell's line (1 shot!) and after reading an account of the game, I don't think I will ever understand the strategy of letting a face guarding approach take our best player out of the offensive flow. This loss would have been much easier to accept had SU repeatedly given the ball to Meaghan near the midfield line or wherever and just let her create, causing slides and mismatches while moving toward the goal. How can SU not have taken advantage of a player whose vision and shot making ability establishes immediate asymmetries in the defense? ...So disappointing for these selfless and hard-working seniors and just a horrible way for the House of Tyrrell to come crashing down.

I didn't watch the game so probably don't deserve to have an opinion on this- someone please correct me if I am missing something obvious. After I checked the box, almost fainting at M. Tyrrell's line (1 shot!) and after reading an account of the game, I don't think I will ever understand the strategy of letting a face guarding approach take our best player out of the offensive flow. This loss would have been much easier to accept had SU repeatedly given the ball to Meaghan near the midfield line or wherever and just let her create, causing slides and mismatches while moving toward the goal. How can SU not have taken advantage of a player whose vision and shot making ability establishes immediate asymmetries in the defense? ...So disappointing for these selfless and hard-working seniors and just a horrible way for the House of Tyrrell to come crashing down.
The MEG show came back for their 5th year to only have 2 pts in their final most important game... That's the type of game it was. But Our defense was amazing, minus Delaney's 3 saves.

Shea Dolce outplayed Delaney, that said,
Delaney did have 6 ground balls and 4 caused turnovers to go with her 3 saves. Another tough end to the season. My daughter and I were hoping for a championship but I get how hard it is to actually win the final game.

The loss would have been easier to take had

KT used Meg in the offense.
We committed fewer unforced errors / turnovers
We not let a freshman goalie dominate us, despite practicing everyday against an all american goalie
Any of our other all americans done something...significant
It not been yet another affirmation of the fact we cannot ever win it all despite the investments in the program

They made terrible calls that ended up giving extra opportunities where there was was no fowl and other instances where fowls were ignored to the favor of BC!

Cuse didn’t bury a lot of shots they should have. Also struggled picking up gbs on draw control. I watched a lot of cuse woman games and something bout BC they just struggle to beat. Also tyrell didn’t even try to be part of game just let defense take her out of play completely. Great season but ultimately worth nothing. Once i saw bracket knew we were in trouble cause knew end up with BC.The other tyrell sister think it was missed a one on one with goalie sent it wide. That was big play there.

Bc got shooting space (whatever that is) a lot and seem we didn’t get any. Not sure how that works but least twice BC was outside n caught ball and cuse defender went to cover n called for shooting space tho was no where near net. Don’t know all rules exactly but seemed wasn’t fairly called. But also cuse made to many mistakes good amounts unforced. The baxter pass to middle when they were up two n won draw control n she flew in offense zone n just threw a float pass to get picked off was bad choice. We’re up two n won ball why rush n push there. Kill some clock n work offense for a goal.

The baxter pass to middle when they were up two n won draw control n she flew in offense zone n just threw a float pass to get picked off was bad choice. We’re up two n won ball why rush n push there. Kill some clock n work offense for a goal.

I hate the "prevent offense". I'd rather be aggressive and take the shots when the opportunity is available.

Everytime we try to milk the shot clock we get forced into a bad or rushed shot and a turnover.

Like I said during the game, if you want to protect a 2 goal lead, you better score 6 more.

Seems like the zone causes a lot of free position shots for the opponent. Might want to scrap that defense..
I noticed this against UNC when we lost. A zone creates more space between you and the shooter because your guarding a zone, not a player, leading to shooting space issues. At least again UNC and BC, we had far fewer free positions.

BC turned this game around when they came out further on D and we couldn't execute against it. Great game, it turned on our inability to execute against their d and their free positions.

Bc got shooting space (whatever that is) a lot and seem we didn’t get any. Not sure how that works but least twice BC was outside n caught ball and cuse defender went to cover n called for shooting space tho was no where near net. Don’t know all rules exactly but seemed wasn’t fairly called. But also cuse made to many mistakes good amounts unforced. The baxter pass to middle when they were up two n won draw control n she flew in offense zone n just threw a float pass to get picked off was bad choice. We’re up two n won ball why rush n push there. Kill some clock n work offense for a goal.
I noticed this against UNC when we lost. A zone creates more space between you and the shooter because your guarding a zone, not a player, leading to shooting space issues. At least again UNC and BC, we had far fewer free positions.

BC turned this game around when they came out further on D and we couldn't execute against it. Great game, it turned on our inability to execute against their d and their free positions.

I would think a zone would create more 'shooting space', not less. If an aficionado could explain that rule, it would help the rest of us.

I would think a zone would create more 'shooting space', not less. If an aficionado could explain that rule, it would help the rest of us.

A defender is not allowed to block a shot with her body. A defender cannot run into the path of an attacker and block their shooting lane.

A defender is not allowed to block a shot with her body. A defender cannot run into the path of an attacker and block their shooting lane.
Which is more likely to happen when you're off man than man to man

Gary never won one, it's only her second year, every year is a learning experience, it's gonna happen (nattys) and maybe numerous times if she's here 20+ years, she's not even 30 yet!
I think she made great strides this year. The team was well prepared to start the season. She adjusted to players lost to injury. She got them back on track after they went off the rails toward the end of the season. To watch:

1. How she does recruiting.
2. She needs to improve in-game coaching.

One example - they desperately needed a time out in the 4th quarter to figure out how to beat the D BC went to.

I get it but when girl is outside 8m n just catches ball how it shooting space when she didn’t even seem or look like was going to shoot. Don’t refs have to make that choice if player is gonna shoot or pass or something for shooting space? Which kinda puts more guessing n mind reading for refs if true sounds dumb.

At this point for Cuse, success is nattys.
We have been the bridesmaid enough.
We don't know if KT will ever be successful or not.
Some questionable decisions, and inaction, which is a decision, in these losses.
Hope she can get it done.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom