SU Depth Chart for Wake | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU Depth Chart for Wake

Yeah, I have faith in Babers, but you've gotta scratch your head at the decision to play Riley over Estime.

In addition to that and the running back personnel decision, I wonder why Babers seems to think that Wayne Morgan is worse than all our other options in the defensive backfield.

First, I have absolutely no doubt, or at least haven't waivered in my opinion, that Babers is the right man to be the head coach. We are very lucky to have landed him and he's going to do some very impressive things for this university on the pitch.

That said, I agree with you on the Riley over Estime at PR point. I wonder if maybe Babers didn't want to play Estime there to keep him fresh for playing on offense. With the speed the offense operates at, the number of WR's needed to operate it effectively and the relative lack of depth on the roster currently to do so, I have to believe that had to play into the original decision for Riley to start at PR. I will admit that Riley's size leaves me constantly worried that he'll forget to signal fair catch and get absolutely destroyed by a gunner. Not to mention that he's not technically sound in the way he catches the ball. Elbows should be at your sternum, in front of you and close enough together not to let the ball squeeze through.

Regarding Wayne Morgan, he has always seemed lost and is notorious for being out of position. That said, the rest of the DB's seem to be out of position frequently too, though they were better at being in the right position vs. ND. Not every time, but more than the last few games.

One thing that really surprises me is that Estime has not had any big gains as a receiver. I thought for sure he would have had a 50+ td reception by now with this offense. I'm sure he will and some kind of explosion is going to happen with him on O.

He almost had a 50 yard+ TD, but were on USF's 47 yard line.

I thought we'd see more passes his way when ND was clearly doubling #7.

It's the story of Millhouse's life, not enough balls to go around.

He almost had a 50 yard+ TD, but were on USF's 47 yard line.

I thought we'd see more passes his way when ND was clearly doubling #7.

It's the story of Millhouse's life, not enough balls to go around.

For the win.

Spotted Dungey's stats from last years Wake game - 8-for-13.

Imagine that, 8 for 13! Sounds like a Chris Ash offense

Viva Dino!

Made the trip up from NYC for that game and weekend. Brought the newish girlfriend who is now my "roommate" and a devout Orange fan. TexanMark hooked me up with tickets. Donnie Simmons had a pick 6. Dungey looked poised on passes to Kendall Moore, Ish, and hitting Bris streaking down the field. I was giddy over him (still am). If memory serves it was the first game that attendance was counted by actual fannies in the seats rather than tickets sold. The spricy tomato sauce at Pastabilities was as good as ever.

Made the trip up from NYC for that game and weekend. Brought the newish girlfriend who is now my "roommate" and a devout Orange fan. TexanMark hooked me up.

A dyslexic reads this as TexanMark hooked up with my roommate and my newish girlfriend.

Wake Forest Football ‏@WakeFB 8h8 hours ago
"This week, we're facing a very improved Syracuse team. They've moved the ball and put up points on everyone they've played." - Clawson

On the pass defense: "Part of it is we've played with a lead and teams have had to become one-dimensional on us."

"I hope Cade [Carney] is going to play, I don't think Kendall [Hinton] is. It's not definite on either." - Clawson.

"This week we play a very improved Syracuse team. They move the ball and score points against everyone they've played. Their quarterback, (Eric) Dungey, I think is one of the best young quarterbacks in the country. He has already thrown for over 1,700 yards, a bunch of touchdowns and what is most impressive, only three interceptions the whole year. He is taking care of the ball and is a very good athlete who can make plays with his feet. The other big problem with Syracuse is that they have four exception wide receivers. Etta-Tawo, a graduate transfer from Maryland, already has 47 catches for 840 yards and six touchdowns. He is putting up video game numbers. They get rid of the ball so quickly. Their average snap-to-release is 1.6 or 1.7 seconds, so it is hard to generate a pass rush with what they do. Defensively, I always think when you play that style of offense that the defense is never going to have good numbers just because they will be out there more. It is a sound defensive structure. They play a lot of the old Tampa-2 concept and their corners are very involved in run support. You can look at their numbers, but I don't think you will ever marry that offensive system with great defensive numbers. Their job on defense is to stop drives and get off the field. It will be a very good challenge for our football team. We are glad to be home and glad to be playing a team who isn't coming off a bye week."
On Indiana's pace preparing the team for Syracuse's pace...
"A little bit, but this pace (Syracuse) is warp speed. This is faster. They run a play every 17 or 18 seconds. It is fast. It is almost like preparing for a triple-option team. You can try simulate it, but you are never going to simulate it as well as they do it. One of our challenges is we haven't started out well on defense against any of the Power Five opponents. We gave up a big play to Indiana on play one, and scores on the opening drive at NC State and the opening drive at Duke. This is a team that starts fast, so we have to be ready to go early and we have not been so far. We were able to come back at Duke and Indiana, but on NC State, the hole was too big. We don't want to play from behind in this game. They scored 27 first-half points last week and that is a Notre Dame defense with a few first-round picks on it."

"It was a different feeling, but it's a good thing we got this far and haven't had a loss until now. But the mindset is still the same. We're still trying to be 1-0 every week, starting with this week. We closed that chapter, we didn't play our best ball, and we suffered the consequences for it, and now we're moving on. Now it's on to the next one. We got Syracuse this week, we're only focused about Syracuse, we're not focused about anybody else. We're focused on beating Syracuse, getting back on track, and winning."

On the Syracuse offense:
"They're going to be the fastest offense we've ever played. They're the fastest offense in college football right now. I mean they're averaging like, 19 seconds from snap to snap. So we're doing a good job simulating that in practice. We started out great today and the scout team was doing really well. But it's going to be on the defense to line up, know our plays, pick the right defense, and just make plays on the football, especially in the secondary. We can't get tired, and have to be able to get off the field on third down and get turnovers so we can get off the field and rest and give our offense a chance to make plays."
On starting quickly:
"It's very important. We knew we had to get off to a fast start against NC State, and we failed at that. So that's definitely the main focus, and that's the same goal this week, to get off to a fast start. We can't wait and be down and have to catch up, we have to go out there from the first snap and be ready to play. Because if we did that last week, we would have been fine. But we unfortunately didn't show up, and it cost us at the end of the game. So we learned from that mistake and we're getting that fixed."

On coming off a loss:
"We just have to play our game and stick to our game plan. What happens in every game is stuff doesn't go your way and you have to be able to bounce back and go from there. We have to start the game fast and get rolling. We have to play hard, play fast and play physical. It's important to start off fast and stay on schedule."

On Syracuse:
"We play against great guys in the ACC and this defense is good. They [Syracuse] have a lot of guys returning from last year and so it will be a good game. They're definitely good up front and a really good team. We just have to stick to what we do, stick to the game plan and execute and it should be a fun game."
On keys to the offense:
"Execution and communication. We can't become one dimensional. We have to be able to run and pass the ball. We have to start fast and set the tone early, especially the run game. We have to get the run game going because that opens up a lot more on the offense."

Damn our defensive front 7 is small...

Our 10 O-linemen on the two deep average 313 pounds per man, which is amazing to this old fan but is about average these days. the eight guys in the four D-line spots average 266 which was pretty big back in the day but that's a 47 pound per man difference. Defensive players have to be quicker because they have to react to the play and cover more territory but that is a big gap. the linebackers average 217 with Zaire at 230 the only one even at 220. That's small. And yet we don't seem to be all that fast, either. It recalls Duffy Daugherty's description on his scouting report as a player: "He may be small but he sure is slow."

Last edited:
Our 10 O-linemen on the two deep average 313 pounds per man, which is amazing to this old fan but is about average these days. the eight guys in the four D-line spots average 266 which was pretty big back in the day but that's a 47 pound per man difference. Defensive players ahve to be quicker because they have to react to the play and cover more territory but that is a big gap. the linebackers average 217 with Zaire at 230 the only one over 217. That's small. And yet we don't seem to be all that fast, either. It recalls Duffy Daugherty's description on his scouting report as a player: "He may be small but he sure is slow."

Unfortunately, the D is undersized nearly across the board and few, if any, have above average speed. That's a lot to ask of any player, regardless of the scheme being played. These kids are warriors, but they are up against it every game. Even Zaire is engulfed when engaged.

Yes, there are missed assignments, communication issues, youth and lack of experience and strength. That that compounds the issue. But, to my eye anyway, size and speed is the primary systemic flaw.

A dyslexic reads this as TexanMark hooked up with my roommate and my newish girlfriend.

Good for him if he did. I was pretty trashed. Never got to meet him, only through online. The GF wasn't down for the Fine Lot Tailgate. She wanted to check out the non Marshall Street bars, etc.

First, I have absolutely no doubt, or at least haven't waivered in my opinion, that Babers is the right man to be the head coach. We are very lucky to have landed him and he's going to do some very impressive things for this university on the pitch.

That said, I agree with you on the Riley over Estime at PR point. I wonder if maybe Babers didn't want to play Estime there to keep him fresh for playing on offense. With the speed the offense operates at, the number of WR's needed to operate it effectively and the relative lack of depth on the roster currently to do so, I have to believe that had to play into the original decision for Riley to start at PR. I will admit that Riley's size leaves me constantly worried that he'll forget to signal fair catch and get absolutely destroyed by a gunner. Not to mention that he's not technically sound in the way he catches the ball. Elbows should be at your sternum, in front of you and close enough together not to let the ball squeeze through.

Regarding Wayne Morgan, he has always seemed lost and is notorious for being out of position. That said, the rest of the DB's seem to be out of position frequently too, though they were better at being in the right position vs. ND. Not every time, but more than the last few games.
Babers said earlie this year that it was to limit his reps and him getting hit.

They still have Wofford, who is a very capable QB
I think you mean Wolford...Wofford is a football program that all the Southern teams play for an easy win. ;)

And Wolford is capable but he isn't as agile as Hinton, who Clawson stated was out for this weekend.

I think you mean Wolford...Wofford is a football program that all the Southern teams play for an easy win. ;)

And Wolford is capable but he isn't as agile as Hinton, who Clawson stated was out for this weekend.

So, if Rutgers was south of the Mason-Dixon line they would play them annually?

I was more worried about their running back playing against us. We'll know if he is back today.

I hate that we have to be worried about certain players on Wake. WAKE!

This low-to-middling stuff sucks.

I thought I read he got dinged a bit last week too. they had to use 2 QB last week

does it really matter for game planning for us? a bit better athletes but it wont be a style change for them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom