SU-Wisconsin series cancelled | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SU-Wisconsin series cancelled

If SU could play 2 of UMASS, UCONN and Army every year, plus the PITT and BC game it would almost be like having a mini eastern conference. Fans could drive to those games very easily.

What? They are a top 10 team every freaking year and we have been unranked for 16 years straight! Please
They're consistently good but to say a top 10 team every year is a bit of an exaggeration. In the last 10 years they've finished the season with 4 top 10's, including this year, and 2 unranked. They're similar (a little better) to what we were in the '90's. If we're not closing in on the top 25 by 2020, year 5 of the rebuild, Dino's seat may start to heat up a little. If we're not even with Wisconsin by '20 or '21 we should be in the ballpark.

WVU is good but not great...plus a historic rival.

Vandy is a private school, winnable and a cool town to visit.

Army is a nobrainer for us to go from 4 to 6 games scheduled in the next 10 seasons
Some of best memories of SU football were the academy games

Gotta be careful with UMass. They could be an emerging B1G power by then.

I’m sure you’re being sarcastic but I do get laughing when people don’t want to schedule Wisconsin. It’s not easy to predict who will suck especially when the past 15 years suggests that su itself won’t be very good.

I’m fine with it but I was looking forward to a cool matchup. Whatevs

Playing Wisconsin, a couple mid-majors and an FCS would have been a completely reasonable non-conference slate in 3 years. Providing us with a showcase non-conference game to get excited about.

I don't get it, if we're excited about our future with Dino, why are we afraid of challenging ourselves in Year 5 of his tenure?

For years this board mocked Rutgers scheduling for success. Now
it is proposed as salvation for the program. Fans and recruits can
for the most part read. You can fool most people, you know the rest

I know people see it as a temporary strategy but I do agree there is a lot irony there. I also have absolutely zero interest in going to the hot, steamy dome for battle with southern Vermont. If it’s a means to an end, fine but I was looking forward to an excuse to hit Madison for a game.

1) I never mocked them
2) We still play FSU and Clemson every year. Throw in a L'Ville and the possible cross division match-up with the likes of VT, Miami, or a GT. SU plays a tough schedule, we don't have all cupcakes, never have and never will. We play enough tough teams to make recruits happy and not be looked at as a joke!

1) I never mocked them
2) We still play FSU and Clemson every year. Throw in a L'Ville and the possible cross division match-up with the likes of VT, Miami, or a GT. SU plays a tough schedule, we don't have all cupcakes, never have and never will. We play enough tough teams to make recruits happy and not be looked at as a joke!

Point remains that 95% of the board did mock them.

Playing Wisconsin, a couple mid-majors and an FCS would have been a completely reasonable non-conference slate in 3 years. Providing us with a showcase non-conference game to get excited about.

I don't get it, if we're excited about our future with Dino, why are we afraid of challenging ourselves in Year 5 of his tenure?
With our conference schedule there is no need to challenge ourselves.

I thought the fundamental conundrum that SU faced was between scheduling teams we could beat and those that locals/marginal fans would buy tickets to see.

When you apply the filter of “fan interest” and ticket sales, the number of possible opponents shrinks significantly. The idea has to be to find a school that will play SU that is not as good as the general public thinks they are.

Because the top teams in the BIG will continue to beat Rutgers like a piñata for the foreseeable future, they are unlikely to schedule anyone with a chance of beating them, I would think.

Rutgers was a BE Team scheduling cupcakes. Our schedule this season was top 10 with only LSU being the tough OOC.

Ground has been moving beneath our feet for 4 years. It’s time to take some back.

Cancellation makes sense.
Wisconsin a good program which was likely going to give us 2 losses.
Until we are consistently winning 7-8 games a year we don’t need to over schedule.
Find a mid tier team like Illinois, Northwestern, Maryland, Rutgers and split 2 games.

Rutgers was doing it in the crappy post-Miami and VT Big East.

We’re in the toughest division in college football, where we play FSU and Clemson every single year. The two situations are not at all similar.

Point remains that 95% of the board did mock them.

Because they never played or beat anybody good, but their fans and other dumb people still acted like they were legit.

We are better right now than they ever were. They couldn’t ever beat a Clemson. They couldn’t ever beat a Virginia Tech. Our schedule is way harder than anything they ever played.

I can't believe that Wisconsin has us all quaking in our boots. A year 5/6 Dino team, no less. We must've forgotten the score of our last meeting.
If we get real good by then...TV will help facilitate a matchup on short notice. Why you schedule midmajor/fcs teams as fodder. We tried this over scheduling thing for years. Hasn't worked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom