Summer Vaca? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Vaca?

In June: Warsaw, Krakow, Auschwitz, Birkenau and Berlin. Not a classic "vacation" trip... but places I've always wanted to visit.

In September: Sicily and the Amalfi Coast. Total change of pace... but two other places I've never visited.

Last edited:
In June: Warsaw, Krakow, Auschwitz, Birkenau and Berlin. Not a classic "vacation" trip... but places I've always wanted to visit.

In September: Sicily and the Amalfi Coast. Total change of pace... but two other places I've never visited.

What a show-off! ;)

Just when I thought Hawaii was cool, you have to bust out with this? BUT... can you get a Blue Hawaiian in Warsaw or Berlin? :D

2 weeks at the Jersey shore (as well as all the weekends during the summer). Just actually got back from a week in the Bahamas with the Mrs (we did Grand Bahama, so unfortunately can't provide too much in the way of specific tips for Nov). The beach was great though, and I'm sure that is probably comparable to Nassau. Also, if you like rum drinks, you'll be in heaven. I recommend picking up a big bottle of rum (cheap) and a case of beer (not so cheap) as soon as you get there and you'll be all set (at least for a few days...).

I is poor Oh Lord

0d29fdebf3d99910d5fee8de884ce446.jpg

Did a huge group trip to Vegas in March for five nights.

Austin for a few days in the beginning of June for a food vacation. It's also my "new" place for the year, since I try to go somewhere new every year.

Fire Island for a few nights in July. A friend and his husband own a house there and let me stay by myself for a long weekend each year.

Then back to Vegas in August. Staying at Encore for a few nights by myself to relax, eat some decent dinners, hang at the pool and play blackjack.

Three months in the UK, and weekends wherever the trains can take me - some of it will be for work though. If I can convert one person a day to becoming a Syracuse hoops fan we will be by far the most popular team in the UK by the time I leave according to my calculations.

cto said:
In June: Warsaw, Krakow, Auschwitz, Birkenau and Berlin. Not a classic "vacation" trip... but places I've always wanted to visit. In September: Sicily and the Amalfi Coast. Total change of pace... but two other places I've never visited.

We did the Amalfi Coast a few years ago, Joyce.

You'll love it.

Be sure to do a side trip to Pompei.

We drove into East Berlin through Checkpoint Charlie back in '86. It was like traveling back in time. Buildings still pocked with bullet holes from WWII.

Also visited Dachau. That was extremely disturbing. I cannot imagine what Auschwitz must be like.

September is best time to visit Italy. Weather is fabulous and the crowds are gone (to the extent that they are ever gone anymore).

Enjoy!

We did the Amalfi Coast a few years ago, Joyce.

You'll love it.

Be sure to do a side trip to Pompei.
Pompei is definitely on the agenda.

After you asked, I suddenly realized Pompei is a curious epilogue to my June trip of "destruction and lost lives" --- although it is far less horrific than that earlier trip will be. For those who may have forgotten, Krakow was the site of "Schindler's List," and the Krakow area was home to many of the Nazi's worst crimes against humanity.

Last edited:
Pompei is definitely on the agenda. (After you asked, I suddenly realized it was a curious epilogue to my June trip of "destruction and lost lives" --- although it is far from as horrific as that earlier trip will be).
Been to Napoli, Pompei and Mt. Vesuvius. World's 2nd oldest amphitheater, but the people frozen in time...will never forget that image. Amazing place to see.

Been to Napoli, Pompei and Mt. Vesuvius. World's 2nd oldest amphitheater, but the people frozen in time...will never forget that image. Amazing place to see.

The ride up Vesuvius in the big wheeled vehicles was fun. We did it in a major rain storm, thought they guy was going to drive us off the side of the mountain on the way back down.

1266411079198.jpg

Last edited: